Author Topic: X-Files returns  (Read 6773 times)

JN01

• friend
X-Files returns
« on: March 24, 2015, 10:06:52 PM »
For six new episodes anyway: http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/x-files-revival-officially-ordered-at-fox-david-duchovny-and-gillian-anderson-back-for-6-new-episodes/ar-AA9WpbV?ocid=ansTVLine11

Loved the series but the second movie sucked. Thirteen years of FX advances should help to make it even creepier, I just hope they get some good writers.

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
Re: X-Files returns
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 12:37:59 AM »
I'm worried that they are calling it a "reboot". I hope they just pick up where they are today.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:03 AM »
Wasn't all that keen on the series when it was first out, don't see myself being drawn in this time, either.

I watched it on a hit or miss basis.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:34:48 AM »
I'm worried that they are calling it a "reboot". I hope they just pick up where they are today.

If I had to bet, I'd say they'll use the two stars coming back as a way to transition to a new team.  X-Files: The Next Generation.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:39:06 AM »
For six new episodes anyway: http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/x-files-revival-officially-ordered-at-fox-david-duchovny-and-gillian-anderson-back-for-6-new-episodes/ar-AA9WpbV?ocid=ansTVLine11

Loved the series but the second movie sucked. Thirteen years of FX advances should help to make it even creepier, I just hope they get some good writers.

The first movie wasn't all that great either.

I thought the X-Files was best when it wasn't obsessed with aliens. The vampire trailer park is the single greatest episode they ever did.

The one guest starring Bruce Campbell was right up there as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:42:27 AM »
I thought the X-Files was best when it wasn't obsessed with aliens.

This!  I was a huge fan in the early days, but by the last season or two, I barely watched at all.  My interest waned as the focus on aliens increased.  With shows like that, I'm a big fan of the "monster of the week" formula.  I don't need a long story arc, just give me a new creepy critter each time.

I slowly lost interest in Fringe for the same reason, though it didn't quite lose me before the series ended.

Chris

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »
This!  I was a huge fan in the early days, but by the last season or two, I barely watched at all.  My interest waned as the focus on aliens increased.  With shows like that, I'm a big fan of the "monster of the week" formula.  I don't need a long story arc, just give me a new creepy critter each time.

I slowly lost interest in Fringe for the same reason, though it didn't quite lose me before the series ended.

Chris

It's funny- I can tick off dozens of episodes of the random monsters or weird phenomena right off the top of my head. The overarching plot with the conspiracy and the alien-human hybrids and the faceless aliens? I know the overview, but it was so uninteresting to me that I can't really tell you the specifics.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 08:53:03 AM »
I don't need a long story arc, just give me a new creepy critter each time.

Oddly enough, that's exactly why I lost interest in Sleepy Hollow less than half a season into it.

I deleted the recording schedule and any saved episodes and screw it.

This week they're battling the headless horseman. Next week they're battling a Iroquois demon shaman who lives in your dreams.

After that, a boy from the lost colony of Roanoke (which somehow made it from coastal Virginia to New York) manages to break free into the real world!

Underlying it all is a huge, evil conspiracy in which all of the townspeople have chosen sides...

Hot.

*expletive deleted*ing.

Mess.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 09:39:46 AM »
Oddly enough, that's exactly why I lost interest in Sleepy Hollow less than half a season into it.

I deleted the recording schedule and any saved episodes and screw it.

This week they're battling the headless horseman. Next week they're battling a Iroquois demon shaman who lives in your dreams.

After that, a boy from the lost colony of Roanoke (which somehow made it from coastal Virginia to New York) manages to break free into the real world!

Underlying it all is a huge, evil conspiracy in which all of the townspeople have chosen sides...

Hot.

*expletive deleted*ing.

Mess.

You have to have the proper structure for a different creepy critter each week. Staying in one location strains the suspension of disbelief. (I.e. your B.S. meter gets pegged.)

Travelling around the country, actively seeking them out, can keep it "plausible enough" for a suspension of disbelief.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 09:56:26 AM »
You have to have the proper structure for a different creepy critter each week. Staying in one location strains the suspension of disbelief. (I.e. your B.S. meter gets pegged.)

Travelling around the country, actively seeking them out, can keep it "plausible enough" for a suspension of disbelief.

At first I snorted derisively and thought "he's full of poo..." :rofl:

You know, I never considered that nuance before, but damn, I think you're really on to something.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer at least explained it by the town being on the Hellmouth, but Sleepy Hollow? That was more like Scooby and Scrappy Doo meet the Harlem Globetrotters kind of BS.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:15:30 AM »
I watched it on and off, enjoying the counterplay between the "believer" and the "nonbeliever."  

To me, the most plausible premise was kind of a Carl Sagan-ish presumption of aliens being a viable possibility.... "billions and billions," doncha know.

Nowadays I actually look for that program, "Unsealed Alien Files" just to keep my paranoia circuits humming.

I am always amused by the notion that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence," since by the sheer numbers of reports, we might already have that extraordinary evidence.

Maybe the truth is out there and His house does have many mansions.

And who am I to disagree?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
 Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
 - Hamlet (1.5.167-8)

Terry, "Unbeliever, but still innocent," 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 10:52:28 AM »
I guess I'm the odd man out here.  I liked the combination of the monster of the week along with a continuing story line.  Then again, I also liked LOST (even though the ending was a disappointment).

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 11:24:17 AM »
Personally I do believe that there is alien life in the universe, simply from a numbers standpoint.

Is there advanced alien life that's far enough along to travel between stars? Possibly... 

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 11:56:26 AM »

That.  Mulder is semi-retired, doing some consulting work.  Skully's a Mommy with a couple kids in their early teens and a toddler.  Smoking Man is in the early stages of Altzheimer's, not quite ready to be put in a nursing home.  Sometimes he's more lucid  and says portentous things.  Other times he just rambles.  He was an early adopter of electronic cigarettes.

Probably the series punch line will be "And it was all George Bush's fault. The end."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 12:25:04 PM »
I guess I'm the odd man out here.  I liked the combination of the monster of the week along with a continuing story line.  Then again, I also liked LOST (even though the ending was a disappointment).

+1

Smoking Man is in the early stages of Altzheimer's, not quite ready to be put in a nursing home.

Didn't he die in the last episode? Hiding out in the desert or something from what I vaguely remember when he was found and killed.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

HankB

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »
X-Files was interesting early on, but as the series continued it became increasingly incoherent, almost as if the script was being written by someone heavily involved with what is now legal for recreational use in Colorado.  ;)

I wouldn't mind a quality reboot of Kolchak:The Night Stalker. I have to specify "quality" as the original series with Darren McGavin in the mid '70s was pretty good, but the reprise that came out in 2005 was downright awful.

BTW, ever see one of those "real" ghosthunter or monster hunter TV shows? Looks like a bunch of frat boys indulging their favorite adult BEvERage on Halloween decided to make a joke video with a cheap camcorder . . . and got that nonsense picked up as a TV series!  :facepalm:

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 12:50:48 PM »
The first movie wasn't all that great either.

I thought the X-Files was best when it wasn't obsessed with aliens. The vampire trailer park is the single greatest episode they ever did.

My favorites were the episodes with the 'fluke man' and the 'Peacock family.'
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2015, 12:57:37 PM »
Those were good episodes.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »
Didn't he die in the last episode? Hiding out in the desert or something from what I vaguely remember when he was found and killed.

(Hiding out in a cave on an Indian reservation, IIRC.  A cruise missile took them both out.  IIRC.)

Faked his death, of course.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »
Like many others, I loved the monster of the week episodes and loathed the convoluted smokingmanmulderssisterblackoilalienzomgwtflgbtbbq episodes. I hope they reboot the crap out of it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2015, 03:48:24 PM »
Overall I liked the alien conspiracy arc better than the MOTW's, but the mythology got too complicated and the writers lost control of it.

My favorites were all MOTW.  I really liked the one with Peter Boyle, and both of the "Tooms" episodes. 

My favorite character was the Smoking Man, at least for the first 4 or 5 seasons.  William B Davis figured out that the cigarette was not just a prop but a whole 'nother character.
"It's good, though..."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2015, 05:07:12 PM »
Like many others, I loved the monster of the week episodes and loathed the convoluted smokingmanmulderssisterblackoilalienzomgwtflgbtbbq episodes. I hope they reboot the crap out of it.
I watched a number of the early episodes but lost interest with the alien conspiracy stuff. 

That is what I loved about the Firefly series even though it didn't last.  Each episode was more or less self contained with a back drop of character development and the Alliance bad guy stuff.  The equivalent of X files would have been the Firefly movie turned into 6 seasons of episodes.  Sounds great, but the story would have gotten old.

I think Babylon 5 was the last show with a long multi year story line that I actually followed.  It had more cool SciFi stuff than X Files:Aliens.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2015, 05:10:26 PM »
Personally I do believe that there is alien life in the universe, simply from a numbers standpoint.

Is there advanced alien life that's far enough along to travel between stars? Possibly... 
Eric Flint has his Boundary series of books about finding essentially alien artifacts and fossils around the solar system.  I think we would find something like that sooner than advanced living aliens. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2015, 05:52:02 PM »
My favorites were the episodes with the 'fluke man' and the 'Peacock family.'
I liked the one that satires the Andy Griffith show, recall that classic?
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 06:19:10 PM »
I liked the one that satires the Andy Griffith show, recall that classic?

"Home" (the Peacock Family episode) had a Sheriff Andy Taylor.  No other references to Andy Griffith that I'm aware of.
"It's good, though..."