Author Topic: I'd say this is a "White People Problem," but...  (Read 6548 times)

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: I'd say this is a "White People Problem," but...
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 07:36:15 PM »
everyone is on a fixed income... I certainly can't manufacture more money than I have!)

Ummm.  Isn't that what your litecoin miner thingeee is doing?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 08:02:07 PM »
:lol:  Yeah, OK.

I don't see the problem. If the management wants them to leave, they throw them out. If other customers want them to leave, they bug management about it, or find another restaurant. A free market is not troubled by such things.

The problem is twofold... first McDonalds has the popo remove them then they come back. Second, the old farts get all upset that they aren't getting what they are entitled to so they start a shitstorm over the big evvvvillll faceless uncaring corporation throwing the helpless poor old people out and before you know it everybody is up in arms over it despite the facts of the situation.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 08:13:43 PM »
I don't see the problem. If the management wants them to leave, they throw them out. If other customers want them to leave, they bug management about it, or find another restaurant. A free market is not troubled by such things.

Just shoot them.  Politely.  Like you do folks who text in the theater.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 08:26:30 PM »
The last time I was forced to sit in a McD's was fairly recently. Dad and I were out together doing something... I think there was car troubles involved...

Anyway, Dad's a big fan of the McRib, which he maintains cannot be eaten in the car (or apparently wait in the bag till you get home) so we couldn't go through the drive through.
It was one of those recently renovated McDonalds, all slate and subdued "natural" color sceme with a gas fireplace and the flat screen tvs. Why McD's thinks it can trick people into thinking it's upscale is beyond me.

However, it does have an ambiance that encorages loitering. And when it comes to such an ambiance, you either must allow for loitering or have a plan in place to kick out the table slugs.
Providing super cheap coffee to seniors who want to get the hell out of the house is not the way to discorage table slugs.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2014, 09:39:06 PM »
While this is supposed to be satire, I think it hits close to home:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/11/ill-back-out-of-my-parking-space-as-slow-as-i-goddamn-please/

El primo:

and gave me the best five kids who ever lived. Except for Sonnie, who now votes Democrat. He’s not welcome at Thanksgiving anymore. Where was I?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 09:40:28 PM »
The problem is twofold... first McDonalds has the popo remove them then they come back. Second, the old farts get all upset that they aren't getting what they are entitled to so they start a shitstorm over the big evvvvillll faceless uncaring corporation throwing the helpless poor old people out and before you know it everybody is up in arms over it despite the facts of the situation.

FACTS!?!?

Don't confuse me with facts when my mind's made up!

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »
If they want to not encourage hanging around, make the fixed seats full size, but too close to the tabletop for a fat person to sit comfortably.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 09:57:20 PM »
It was one of those recently renovated McDonalds, all slate and subdued "natural" color sceme with a gas fireplace and the flat screen tvs. Why McD's thinks it can trick people into thinking it's upscale is beyond me.

Most likely, their market research indicated they would make more moolah if the digs were a bit swankier. Why anyone would complain about McDonald's trying to please the customer by making their furnishings a bit more appealing is beyond me.  :P

Again, in a free market this is not a problem. Such problems are just another sad, sorry symptom of life in the Obamanation.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 10:06:53 PM »
Most likely, their market research indicated they would make more moolah if the digs were a bit swankier. Why anyone would complain about McDonald's trying to please the customer by making their furnishings a bit more appealing is beyond me.  :P

You're talking to someone who's primary reasons for eating at McD's are:

Fast and easy
Bad for you
Taste like junk food
Craving grease, chemicals and whatever the hell else they put in that stuff to make it as addictive as crack cocaine.

Making it swankier is turning the proverbal sow's ear into a silk purse. They may make more moola, but it's not fooling anyone.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
You're talking to someone who's primary reasons for eating at McD's are:

Fast and easy
Bad for you
Taste like junk food

The appeal of Micky D's is that it's a standard product.  You know  exactly what you're getting, from sea to shining sea.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 10:13:41 PM »
The appeal of Micky D's is that it's a standard product.  You know  exactly what you're getting, from sea to shining sea.

Well, that too.

But that applies to BK as well, yet the only way to get me to BK is by physical force.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 10:49:58 PM »

And across the seas, I've eaten at McD's in Germany, France, England (it was the only edible food there), and Hong Kong/China. 

The one in Baumholder, Germany was the best for 2 reasons 1) The fried their french fries in real honest to G-d Lard.  I could damn near taste the Moo and Oink; and 2) You can get Bier with your Big Mac.  (as long as you are not in Uniform during duty hours.)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 11:00:51 PM »
But before I got off on that tangent, the point of The Duffle Blog story I posted apparently went over the heads of some folks here.

Those old people that buy a cup of coffee and hang out for several hours are the reason your ass is here.  They went and kicked the living *expletive deleted* out of three and a half empires that were doing everything they could to enslave the world.

Every Tuesday the guy that was the VP of the Credit Union my dad was a lowly courier for picks him up and they meet with a 4-5 other retired CU employees (all guys) and go to Hardee's for the senior discount breakfast (Dad likes Sausage and Gravy Biscuits), they eat breakfast, drink a shitload of free refill coffee and shoot the *expletive deleted*, in fact the same *expletive deleted* they shoot every week.   They're there for 2-3 hours.   I've gone with once.  Really nice guys, WWII and Korea vets the lot, so I was somewhat accepted.  But I was still a third wheel.

The employees knew all of them by name and the manager came by 3-4 times asking if anyone needed a refill on their coffee.  He also had sugar and creamer ready for those that needed it.  And he knew who used what.  After pouring a cup, he'd put the right number of sugars/pink stuff/creamers next to their cup.

My point is.

They've *expletive deleted* earned it.   And if the owner/manager/corporation doesn't care that they sit there for 15 minutes or 15 hours, then *expletive deleted* you and what you think about.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:35:15 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 11:14:29 PM »
The appeal of Micky D's is that it's a standard product.  You know  exactly what you're getting, from sea to shining sea.

That's what they want you to believe.

Two McDonald's restaurants, ten (maybe twelve) miles apart. Same state, same county, same metropolitan area.

At one, I can order a double hamburger, for 99 cents. At the other, to get a double hamburger I have to order a McDouble and have them hold the cheese -- and I pay $1.29 for it. "Double hamburger" is not in the system.

Same problem with a few other things on the menu. Some have caffeine-free Diet Coke -- others don't.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 11:26:53 PM »
But before I got off on that tangent, the point of The Duffle Blog story I posted apparently went over the heads of some folks here.

Those old people that buy a cup of coffee and hang out for several hours are the reason your ass is here.  They went and kicked the living *expletive deleted* out of three and a half empires that were doing everything they could to enslave the world.

Every Tuesday the guy that was the VP of the Credit Union my dad was a lowly courier for picks him up and they meet with a 4-5 other retired CU employees (all guys) and go to Hardee's for the senior discount breakfast (Dad likes Sausage and Gravy Biscuits), they eat breakfast, drink a shitload of free refill coffee and shoot the *expletive deleted*, in fact the same *expletive deleted* they shoot every week.   They're there for 2-3 hours.   I've gone with once.  Really nice guys, WWII and Korea vets the lot, so I was somewhat accepted.  But I was still a third wheel.

The employees knew all of them buy name and the manager came by 3-4 times asking if anyone needed a refill on their coffee.  He also had sugar and creamer ready for those that needed it.  And he knew who used what.  After pouring a cup, he'd put the right number of sugars/pink stuff/creamers next to their cup.

My point is.

They've *expletive deleted* earned it.   And if the owner/manager/corporation doesn't care that they sit there for 15 minutes or 15 hours, then *expletive deleted* you and what you think about.

I've repeated several times in this thread that I have no problem with the old guys that get together and take up a table or two and have their meal and coffee and whatever. It's not a problem. Doesn't cause a disruption for the restaurent and it's customers. Everything is cool.

The problem is all about when a large group of people take over a restaurant and are causing problems for the mgt, staff, and customers in the way the Koreans in the story are. In fact, I believe this is the first time I've heard of an issue like this. Usually the senior meet groups don't take over an entire restaurant all day.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:35:39 PM by Boomhauer »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 12:04:03 AM »
They've *expletive deleted* earned it.

Are we to assume that any gathering of elderly persons must be a gathering of war vets?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 12:59:09 AM »
They may make more moola, but [blah blah blah]

Which is the whole point. They don't care whether or not you're "fooled." They're making money. They don't care about your opinion, just as long as they get money. They're doing pretty dang good without your opinion. Or mine.  =)

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 01:10:12 AM »

Those old people that buy a cup of coffee and hang out for several hours are the reason your ass is here.  They went and kicked the living *expletive deleted* out of three and a half empires that were doing everything they could to enslave the world.

Every Tuesday the guy that was the VP of the Credit Union my dad was a lowly courier for picks him up and they meet with a 4-5 other retired CU employees (all guys) and go to Hardee's for the senior discount breakfast (Dad likes Sausage and Gravy Biscuits), they eat breakfast, drink a shitload of free refill coffee and shoot the *expletive deleted*, in fact the same *expletive deleted* they shoot every week.   They're there for 2-3 hours.   I've gone with once.  Really nice guys, WWII and Korea vets the lot, so I was somewhat accepted.  But I was still a third wheel.

The employees knew all of them by name and the manager came by 3-4 times asking if anyone needed a refill on their coffee.  He also had sugar and creamer ready for those that needed it.  And he knew who used what.  After pouring a cup, he'd put the right number of sugars/pink stuff/creamers next to their cup.

My point is.

They've *expletive deleted* earned it.   And if the owner/manager/corporation doesn't care that they sit there for 15 minutes or 15 hours, then *expletive deleted* you and what you think about.

Uh, not so much.

If the management/ownership thinks that every old dude is a war vet, and therefore lets them annoy other customers all day, then that's their call. True enough.

But that's retarded, and it's probably bad business.

And if other customers don't like it, they have every right to say so.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2014, 01:48:14 AM »
Are we to assume that any gathering of elderly persons must be a gathering of war vets?

Pretty much every male over the age of 85 served in WWII.   16 million were in uniform then.  Just about the entire male population between 18 and 35.  (Though there were some much younger that lied their way in.)

But even if they didn't serve, if they made past 70, they deserve some courtesies.

You can point it out, but it's still the owner/corporations/managers call.

And I'd rather have a bunch of elderly gripen' about stuff, then the crazy homeless folks and then multiple bags of *expletive deleted*.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:31:11 PM by scout26 »

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 02:32:47 AM »
Every Tuesday the guy that was the VP of the Credit Union my dad was a lowly courier for picks him up and they meet with a 4-5 other retired CU employees (all guys) and go to Hardee's for the senior discount breakfast (Dad likes Sausage and Gravy Biscuits), they eat breakfast, drink a shitload of free refill coffee and shoot the *expletive deleted*, in fact the same *expletive deleted* they shoot every week.   They're there for 2-3 hours.   I've gone with once.  Really nice guys, WWII and Korea vets the lot, so I was somewhat accepted.  But I was still a third wheel.

2-3 hours, likely after the 'working man' breakfast rush, where they actually buy full meals, during a business day isn't the same as 'there all day buying nothing'.  It even helps make the restaurant look like it's being used, which helps attract MORE customers during a slow period.  2-3 hours also means that it doesn't intrude into the lunch rush.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2014, 06:08:56 AM »
What ever happened to the property owners rights?  If the owner or manager want them gone it doesn't matter how much they "deserve" anything.

[popcorn]

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2014, 08:59:28 AM »
But even if they didn't serve, if they made past 70, they deserve some courtesies.

Rubbish.

It doesn't mean they are excused for being jerks, either.

I have this crazy idea that respect for the elderly has to do with their being the kind of respectable people that don't laze around a McDonald's all day, hogging the joint, so there's no room for other customers who want to buy more than a cup of coffee. I mean, if they're such noble souls, who bore any burden, and so forth, why are they such creeps now? Why do you expect so little of them? It doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 09:35:51 AM by fistful »

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2014, 09:40:58 AM »
The only special courtesy I will give to a stranger/guest/customer who appears to be my senior is to call him "sir," until such time as I no longer feel it is necessary.  Other than that I try to treat everyone with the same courtesy for as long as possible.  This is based on two simple things I have learned over the years:

1. How would I feel if someone was talking to my father like this?  If the idea of someone being rude to my dad makes me upset, then why do it to someone else's dad?

2. You never know if the stranger you just met is a double Medal of Honor recipient or something.

So, I will try to be courteous to people right up to the point where they cross the line, or prove themselves to be unworthy of simple respect.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2014, 10:11:55 AM »
Pretty much every male over the age of 85 served in WWII.   16 million were in uniform then.  Just about the entire male population between 18 and 35.  (Though there were some much younger that lied their way in.)

You can point it out, but it's still the owner/corporations/managers call.

And I'd rather have a bunch of elderly gripen' stuff, then the crazy homeless folks and then multiple bags of *expletive deleted*.

in this particular case isn't it all the korean seniors that are camping?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2014, 03:33:52 PM »
What ever happened to the property owners rights?  If the owner or manager want them gone it doesn't matter how much they "deserve" anything.

[popcorn]

If the property owner or manager of said property doesn't give them the bum's rush, then it's none of anyone's business.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.