Author Topic: Wash out of Military Enlistment, no guns for you.  (Read 8977 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Re: Wash out of Military Enlistment, no guns for you.
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2011, 11:57:05 PM »
Bogie, I'm pretty sure MEPS level washouts were specifically mentioned.  It is incredibly easy to wash out at MEPS; they are working pretty hard to limit liability these days.
"You can't do a duckwalk, no gun for you!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2011, 08:03:28 AM »
Col Badger is an idiot, with a nominal grasp on the English language to boot.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2011, 03:41:51 PM »
If they want to restrict gun ownership for a particular reason, then state the reasons up front.  Don't tie it to requirements of some of other relatively unrelated organization.  In general, I think that just allows the politicians to dodge the issue and let the military play politics with gun control.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2011, 03:54:36 PM »
Being too crazy to join the military is a pretty low threshold of crazy, and apparently getting lower all the time. 

I wouldn't put much stock in somebody being called too coo-koo for the military.

Richard Fenyman was turned away from the Army after his draft number got called near the end of WWII.  They thought he was nuts.

Good thing that guy never got his hands on anything dangerous, eh? :)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2011, 04:50:25 PM »
So, in a situation where someone is too terminally weird for the military (or fakes being terminally weird...), it's just fine for them to go out and arm up on their own?

I'm not talkin' about most of the inhabitants of the Group W bench...

I mean, where do you draw the line?

Some guy loses it in basic, assaults a DI, whatever, and gets the boot - should he be treated differently than someone who gets a conviction in civilian life?
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2011, 05:00:19 PM »
Thinking too - what if you get told to go get a psych eval, or you're not gonna go back to school... Or tell you what, the guys at HR are feelin' really nervous about since you shaved your eyebrows in the cafeteria, so go get yourself a checkup from the neck up, and come back after you get your balance and alignment fixed...

Washing out of basic for a physical reason - I have no prob with that... But if someone gets selected for exit because the military's shrinks think that he/she is too damn weird, well...
Blog under construction

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2011, 05:18:14 PM »
You are only too crazy if you are adjudicated mentally incompetent in a court.  I really don't want to make it any easier to declare someone crazy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2011, 05:54:42 PM »
i just want a .9mm handgun, talk about some cheap reloading. :angel:

or. could it be, the ultimate high velocity handgun firing a 2.5 grain HP at 5000+fps! [tinfoil]

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2011, 07:29:18 PM »
You are only too crazy if you are adjudicated mentally incompetent in a court.  I really don't want to make it any easier to declare someone crazy. 

Hell, I'd like to see stricter controls placed on that adjucation, too.  Like an immediate appeals process. 

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2011, 07:47:04 PM »
Hell, I'd like to see stricter controls placed on that adjucation, too.  Like an immediate appeals process. 

Yeah, just because no one else knows your best friend Harvey doesn't mean you are crazy.   =)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2011, 07:50:07 PM »

maybe its different some places but i've found the protections pretty good in va.  its quite hard to get someone "certified" and there is a process for appeal and review
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2011, 09:34:05 PM »
maybe its different some places but i've found the protections pretty good in va.  its quite hard to get someone "certified" and there is a process for appeal and review

So your appeal went well??????  =D

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »
There exist procedures for dealing with a person, not just military washouts but anyone, who is such a danger to herself or others that she should not be allowed to own a gun.  It's called involuntary commitment to a mental institution.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 11:03:53 PM »
i never liked the thought of locking someone up because they "might" hurt someone. buy then i don't like the thought of them hurting someone either. so. once again, 2 to COM, 1 to the head. :angel: preferably before they manage to get a shot fired, etc.. =|

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 03:34:01 AM »
Thinking too - what if you get told to go get a psych eval, or you're not gonna go back to school... Or tell you what, the guys at HR are feelin' really nervous about since you shaved your eyebrows in the cafeteria, so go get yourself a checkup from the neck up, and come back after you get your balance and alignment fixed...

Think about that for a second.

OK.  

Now think about someone like your ex-spouse/SO being the one in HR/Admissions when they were pissed off about you and about ready to end the marriage/relationship.  

Now think about that person being in a position to demand that you get a psych eval.   Do you REALLY want a failure to comply or failure to have a hard-core libtard head shrinker give you a thumbs-up to go back to work/school to mean that you've lost 2A rights for LIFE?

There exist procedures for dealing with a person, not just military washouts but anyone, who is such a danger to herself or others that she should not be allowed to own a gun.  It's called involuntary commitment to a mental institution.

This.  And only this should cause one to lose 2A rights over your mental health state.
Formerly sumpnz

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 03:43:49 AM »
Further to my last post.  My sister is a flaming lib and a professor in the Psych department at U Washington.  She is, according to my wife, absolutly convinced that I have Aspergers.  Sis has never said anything to me about it, but was trying to convince my wife that there was something "wrong" with me.  I really don't think that's correct (or at least not that).  But she's the "expert".

Were it possible I have little doubt that she try to find some way to get me forced into a psych eval if not some sort of treatment.  And refusal would be little different that having HR tell me to do the same thing.  Why should I stand to lose my 2A rights on the say so of one person like that?

I fully agree that something should have been done to get Laughner's mental illness documented and treated.  And that such probably should be a 2A disqualifier, at least for some period of time.  But that MUST include due process and opportunity to appeal as otherwise it is far too ripe for abuse. 
Formerly sumpnz

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »
There exist procedures for dealing with a person, not just military washouts but anyone, who is such a danger to herself or others that she should not be allowed to own a gun.  It's called involuntary commitment to a mental institution.

This concept.

Yes, there are going to be people who don't get caught. Not unlike the criminal justice system, using a jury, fair trials, etc. means some murderers walk free.

But such is life.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Bogie

• friend
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 04:28:02 PM »
What's wrong with Asperger's?

(currently learning everything I can about precision machine shop stuff... - it's fun...)

Blog under construction

Lee

• friend
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2011, 08:37:01 PM »
Ummm...does Fort Hood or the UTexas tower ring any bells?  How  about Dallas and a book repository? 

I'm sure the Col. just meant that the guy had a long history of being nuts and testing positive for drugs.  That, and he's been through a lot of emotional trauma himself.  I'd give him a pass.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2011, 11:37:36 PM »
What's wrong with Asperger's?

(currently learning everything I can about precision machine shop stuff... - it's fun...)

Short answer: Nothing, insofar as guns and 2A rights should be concerned.

Long answer: It's part of the Autism Spectrum of disorders.  Usually characterized, in part, by the person having impared ability to relate to and understand other people, especially being able to recognize differences in body language, tone of voice, and other non-verbal cues.

In terms of guns and the ability to be responsible with them, and not going crazy like the guy in Tucson, there's absolutely no connection to Aspergers.  But there's plenty of people like my sister that would gladly use any tool possible to restrict access to guns to as many people as possible regardless of whether it is an appropriate tool or not. 

That I'm pretty sure I don't have it makes little differnece to her.  What I would admit to having though is Nerdbergers (aka The Knack).
Formerly sumpnz

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 12:04:08 AM »
Long answer: It's part of the Autism Spectrum of disorders.  Usually characterized, in part, by the person having impared ability to relate to and understand other people, especially being able to recognize differences in body language, tone of voice, and other non-verbal cues.

What do they call it when you pick up on all those cues just fine, but don't give a damn because so few people can pick up on your not-at-all-subtle cues that they should STFU and go away?

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 04:02:35 AM »
What do they call it when you pick up on all those cues just fine, but don't give a damn because so few people can pick up on your not-at-all-subtle cues that they should STFU and go away?

Kentucky conservative?  :lol:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »

RCS: Rooster Cogburn Syndrome  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2011, 04:58:17 PM »
I, for one, won't fault the Colonel: he did after all go to the sound of the guns. He may have disagreeable ideas about gun rights, but I sense he's not much of a Gunny.

TC
TC
RT Refugee