Author Topic: A newspaper is trying to censor me  (Read 4902 times)

resistcensors

A newspaper is trying to censor me
« on: July 11, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »
I post under another name but for this issue (one I have never spoken about with my other name) I think it is best to start with a “clean” name since the lawyer representing the newspaper promised to sue if the below website critical of them does not come down.

To summarize, a local newspaper overcharged and would not justify the charges.  The website got started to shame them into looking at the issue.  Their lawyer did get to the bottom of the issue, but then the issue quickly turned to taking the website down.  They could have been polite but they decided to get heavy handed, threatening a lawsuit.  Frankly I don’t roll over on command and I intend to fight.  Among other things I have publicity on my side.  If you look through the link below and agree with me, I ask that you pass the story on and or put the link into your signature.

http://www.starcommunitynewspaperssuck.info/

Edited to add:

This is not about not wanting to pay what I owed.  I was happy to pay what I actually owed, once I found out what I owed.  Am I unhappy the price is different from the one quoted?  Sure, who likes that?  Am I going to start a website over it?  Of course not.  The fight was never over what was owed, it was over what was not owed.  If I know you are trying to cheat me, I don't care if it is a single dollar, my answer is no.  In this case they wanted $390 for services I did not want.

If you went in to get your oil changed and after it was all said and done, they wanted $500 for the oil change and a bunch of other things you did not ask for, but would not tell you how much the oil change cost, how are you going to pay for the oil change?

The issue with money is resolved.  What is not resolved is the website.  I probably would take it down if asked.  I won't take it down to threats.  I would hope most people would stand up to threats.

My hope is that the next time this happens, and someone was charged for advertizing not ordered, the newspaper will remember this event and decide to provide customer service.  In our business sometimes, by mistake, we over charge.  Some customers are on the ball and point it out.  It's that kind of customer that keep us and other businesses honest.

I am trying to keep this bunch honest. 

Bigjake

• friend
Re: A newspaper is trying to censor me
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 03:39:59 PM »
So...... They suckered you with some seriously dirty, low down advertising scheme (which you signed), and now you're pissed? 

Who wouldn't be? 

But, If I'm reading this right, you've admitted that you were had, and they have you dead to rights ( no matter how big of bastiges they may be).  We're it me, I'd take this as a sub $500 learning experience and let everyone I know that the Newspaper in question was owned and operated by dirtbags.

Just my $.02

resistcensors

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 03:48:41 PM »
I got "had" by $91, which since we signed for I don't have a problem with.  It's running ads in newspapers we did not agree to and the associated $390 I have a problem with.

Even that I would be ok with if it did not take 7 months, building a website, and dealing with their lawyer to find out what we owed (just $17 over what we had already paid) and get rid of the $390 we did not owe.

I understand things slip through cracks.  But don't do all this and then threaten me with lawsuits.

resistcensors

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 03:49:55 PM »
And to clear it up, I paid the $17 plus interest.  This is about them trying to shut me up.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 04:01:31 PM »
And to clear it up, I paid the $17 plus interest.  This is about them trying to shut me up.

So you were ultimately wrong and the newspaper wants you to stop slandering them?  Seems somewhat reasonable to me.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 04:04:08 PM »

So you were ultimately wrong and the newspaper wants you to stop slandering them?  Seems somewhat reasonable to me.

That's what I took out of this, too.
One day at a time.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 04:17:22 PM »
I hate  to make light of you obviously lousy perdicament, but it begs for this..

http://www.youtube.com/v/o76WQzVJ434&hl=en&fs=1

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 04:24:08 PM »
No, it begs for you to learn how to post a link!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

grin grin grin
One day at a time.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 04:32:31 PM »
I am skilled in MANY different fields.  You'd be pleased to have me around if marooned on a desert island.  Food, shelter, electricity from old parts, running water, first aid up to triage level, no problem. 

Embedding a Youtube vid? Forget about it.  laugh

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 04:36:05 PM »
Don't worry, I can't get it to work, either.
One day at a time.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 04:39:18 PM »
Ah Ha!  I am vindicated!

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »
No, you are as bad as I am.

That is FAR from vindicated!!!
One day at a time.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 04:46:13 PM »
As far as I can tell, one can't embed Youtube videos here...
Andy

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »
actually I think its a demotion  grin
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 04:55:44 PM »

No dude, I saw one with my very eyes!! it was over here:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=13454.0

I couldn't get it to work however, even after PM'ing fistful on the intricacies of Teh Intertubes.

Hell, if I'm as bad as you, then theres hope yet!

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

What is slanderous (libelous) about his website?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 05:02:39 PM »

No dude, I saw one with my very eyes!! it was over here:

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=13454.0

I couldn't get it to work however, even after PM'ing fistful on the intricacies of Teh Intertubes.

Hell, if I'm as bad as you, then theres hope yet!

Err... that's a picture, not an embedded video... a joke... it's having far reaching effects, even more than I suspected... unless I'm now missing something...
Andy

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 05:06:40 PM »

Err... that's a picture, not an embedded video... a joke... it's having far reaching effects, even more than I suspected... unless I'm now missing something...

Guess my brand of sarcasm is lost on you bro   cool

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 05:09:12 PM »

Guess my brand of sarcasm is lost on you bro   cool

Like I said:

Quote from: cosine
unless I'm now missing something...

I am... Wink

Dense is me...
Andy

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 05:14:15 PM »
Happens to the best of us  grin

Like when ANYONE tries to have an intelligible conversation with me about pop culture or "what was on the boob tube" last night.  I get the deer in the headlights look like right now.

resistcensors

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »
What is slanderous (libelous) about his website?

I think a lot of people don't know what slander is. 

And I don't think a few folks bothered to actually read.  Its like this.  If you go into to a mechanic to get your oil changed, and he quotes you $20 but you sign something for $30, but then without asking he charges you $200 to check your air conditioning, you don't owe $230, you owe $30.

It took 7 months to find out what we actually did owe,  but when I found out I paid it.

I have a right to be unhappy about the $200.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 05:25:41 PM »
From what you're saying, yeah they're some rotten bastards with dubious means of getting business, but (from what i've read on your site)  Legally, you're stuck.

If you think its worth pursing, getcha a mean lawyer, spend some money, and go get em'! 

Otherwise, this is just an unpleasant learning experience, get over it.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2008, 05:29:07 PM »
This whole thing reminds me of a local kook.  He had bad service from a local mechanic so he painted his truck with reasons why that mechanic was bad.  Nobody reads it, but everyone thinks he is a whack job for not letting it go after all this time and accomplishes nothing.  Even the mechanic thinks it is amusing.  You might learn from that example. 

As far as slander, you are right.  I did not read your website since I lost interest about 2 paragraphs in since it reads like one of the "truther" sites.   I based the slander thing on your comments here.  Seriously, move on.  Rant to your friends about it, but take the thing down.

resistcensors

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2008, 05:37:58 PM »
Legally, you're stuck.

Legally I am stuck with what?

You might learn from that example.

Consumers have it as well as we do because some people say no.  I'm not painting my car, I am just keeping up a website.  If everybody rolls over, you will always be rolling over.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2008, 06:08:13 PM »

Legally I am stuck with what?

Stuck with this, unless I read it wrong.

have a huge update.  Star Community Newspapers hired a lawyer and the lawyer finally gave us real paperwork.  It appears my wife did agree to $80 per month for two months and $120 per month for one month.  We are not too proud to admit when we make a mistake and have cut a check for the amount we owe ($17) plus interest.  It was our bad for hearing the verbal sales pitch and signing something else.

I am sure this part of the mess would have been completely avoided if the newspaper had simply giving us the written agreement as we repeatedly asked for.

I think the paperwork clearly vindicates us on our original issue about advertising we did not ask for or know about ($390 of charges).  The lawyer dropped the claims to that.  For new people joining, read on.