Author Topic: Any way to clean up a holster?  (Read 4460 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Any way to clean up a holster?
« on: July 25, 2013, 10:41:37 AM »
I have a tan Miami Classic for my 1911 carry gun. I didn't wear the holster much for the first 9 nine years I had it, but mostly when I was going to be driving all day.

For the last year or so, I've been wearing it daily, and it shows. There's darkening of the leather on the outside surfaces from dye transfer (black cover fabrics), and a very dark area on the inside face of the holster itself from sweat.

Is there any way of cleaning all this up? I saw a new Miami Classic on a gun site for $110, but if there's no way to stop this discoloration from happening again, then there's no point in getting another.

I know it's goofy, but I like having my stuff look good.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Any way to clean up a holster?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 10:43:40 AM »
People used to suggest saddlesoap for leather products.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:43:10 AM »
I've read that saddle soap isn't good because it softens the leather which, on a boned holster, isn't good. Can't remember if the source was credible or not.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:04:10 PM by Monkeyleg »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:56:45 AM »
a boned holster, 

Huh. Huh huh huh huh. Beavis.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:24:19 PM »
I've read that saddle soap isn't good because it softens the leather which, on a boned holster, isn't good. Can't remember if the source was credible or not.

Not.

Neatsfoot oil softens leather. Saddle soap cleans leather.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 09:29:43 PM »
The stains are pretty much permanent. About the only way to even attempt to get them out would be to strip the finish and hit it with a bleaching agent (oxalic acid is a common leather bleach).
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 10:40:42 PM »
The stains are pretty much permanent. About the only way to even attempt to get them out would be to strip the finish and hit it with a bleaching agent (oxalic acid is a common leather bleach).

Might as well just buy a new holster, which would look like this one in a few weeks.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »
Buy a darker holster?

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »
Looking good is different from looking pristine.

Certain materials are going to show signs of use.  Leather is one of them.  If you are not sure how to clean your leather go visit a tack shop.  They will have all sorts of nostrums and potions they will try to sell you, but should also have a few folks willing to teach you how to use saddle soap as opposed to giving your holster a bath.

I disagree with the use of leather "salves" and leather 'oil"  http://www.getkempt.com/conversation/a-gentlemans-guide-to-keeping-up-waxed-cotton-and-leather.php unless you are truely restoring old leather that has completely dried out.  Clean with saddle soap and then use a good neutral-color paste wax that includes carnuba.   Apply very lightly, allow to dry to the proverbial haze, and buff with a good horsehair brush.  The wax is not there as a finish so much as it is a waterproof (sweat) barrier.  If you find wax rubbing off on your garments you are using too much and also probably not buffing enough.

Then figuring out why you are getting dye leaking from your cover gament onto your holster but not it onto your body or other clothes.

If all else fails, remember there are plastics out there that are about as flexible as leather without the ability to absorb water/sweat.  Folks out there make holsters out of the stuff that fit a Miami Classic rig.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 01:04:14 AM »
Thanks, vaskidmark. I've been cleaning leather for decades, what with motorcycle jackets and my finickiness with my shoes. I thought I'd read somewhere not to use saddle soap on holsters, but I was wrong.

I wouldn't dye the  holster for the very reasons you mention, those being dye transfer, bleeding, etc. A lot of the discoloration on the holster now is dye transfer from dark clothing worn over it.

I'll just have to live with it. As for why I don't get a black holster: I just don't like shoulder rigs in black. For some reason I think they should be brown. Tradition, maybe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 03:17:40 AM »
The shoulder holster that I had (and still have ;)) in the Army was black leather.  Come to think of it even the hip holsters were black leather.   I never saw any brown holsters.   (We later had the green MOLLE ones for the Beretta in the reserves.)

And yes, Saddle Soap to clean.  Neatsfoot oil to soften.   IF you really want to protect it from stains, then use Future Floor wax.  I know guys that used it on their boots.  Made them shiny as all hell, and gave them a hard finish.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 03:21:32 AM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 06:44:15 AM »
I might buy a shoulder holster today
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 07:48:50 AM »
I just don't like shoulder rigs in black. For some reason I think they should be brown. Tradition, maybe.

Brown leather just looks better.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 08:36:08 AM »
Amplifying on Skid's comment.  Having a daily use item actually look like it's used, but cared for, is neat.  One of the most striking looking revolvers I ever saw was a pre-27 3.5-inch that had ~50% bluing left.  It had been carried daily by two generations of LEO.  No nicks, gouges, or pitting, just evidence of hard, honest use.  Dick, don't do the equvalent of a facelift/tummy tuck on your holster.  I'd wear it proudly.  Come to that, I might well be willing to trade you a new one for it, if your course is set.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 10:55:02 AM »
Hutch, about half the finish on the flats of the slide on my pistol is gone. The holster did have some nice aging to it. Now it just looks dirty. A little cleaning would help.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 11:02:00 AM »
I'll just have to live with it. As for why I don't get a black holster: I just don't like shoulder rigs in black. For some reason I think they should be brown. Tradition, maybe.

But your initial post said "tan." Tan is a LOT lighter than brown, and will show dirt a lot faster and more visibly.

Which is it?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2013, 01:51:46 PM »
But your initial post said "tan." Tan is a LOT lighter than brown, and will show dirt a lot faster and more visibly.

Which is it?

To help describe it - please pick from the following:  http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Departments/Leather-Furniture-Dye.aspx 

And I still want to know why your black cover garments are leaking dye onto your holster, yet it does not show up on aything else.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 02:14:32 PM »
It's the standard light brown (or tan) Galco Miami Classic. I guess light brown would be the right term

And I still want to know why your black cover garments are leaking dye onto your holster, yet it does not show up on aything else.

Look up "leather dye transfer". It's a real problem with leather clothing, car seats and furniture. I have tan leather seats in my Mustang, and I started to notice the drivers seat getting dark areas right where my black denim pants and black leather vest rub the most. I tried some products made specifically for removing dye transfer, as well as general purpose leather cleaning products, but none worked satisfactorily. I finally just bought a seat cover for the drivers side.

It's the leather that's the problem with the dye transfer, not the cover garments.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 05:06:30 PM »
I like having my stuff look good

It's concealed, right  ???

My holster looks like I've been wearing it every day for a couple years while riding horses and fixing fences, etc  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 08:16:04 PM »
It's the leather that's the problem with the dye transfer, not the cover garments.

Wax is your friend.  Creates a very nice barrier to dye migration outbound as well as stopping moisture, salts, and for motorcycle riders - bug juices from moving inwards.

Also gives you something monotonous to do while when you do not need your hands for other activity - not to mention the muscle growth you can expect from running that horsehair brush back and forth at a steady 120 strokes per minute.

stay safe.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2013, 04:26:35 AM »
1) New guy leather is like new guy chaps or carhartts, wear equals experience.

2) It's not brown -or- black, it's brown -and- black. Your holster should match your belt which should match your shoes which should coordinate with your clothes. Don't mix black and brown, own a set of each to go with the appropriate shoes/belts/outfits.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2013, 09:49:03 AM »
1) New guy leather is like new guy chaps or carhartts, wear equals experience.

2) It's not brown -or- black, it's brown -and- black. Your holster should match your belt which should match your shoes which should coordinate with your clothes. Don't mix black and brown, own a set of each to go with the appropriate shoes/belts/outfits.

That's why I stick to brown everything. Cheaper that way.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2013, 10:27:11 AM »

That's why I stick to brown everything. Cheaper that way.

Yeah, except my logging/fire boots are black.

Simply Rugged calls it "Oxblood"
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2013, 11:38:32 AM »
This is one of those threads where a couple of posts answer the question, and most of the others tell the poster to do something else. ;)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2013, 02:47:19 PM »
This is one of those threads where a couple of posts answer the question, and most of the others tell the poster to do something else. ;)

A belt holster is better  :P