Author Topic: The denizens of APS should score well on the Pew Research test of basic science  (Read 9533 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

HankB

• friend
100% too.

Simple stuff . . . anything less than 100 percent would be embarrassing if you passed third grade.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Not difficult.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
100%.

I'm genuinely appalled by the raft of respondents in the 30-40% range. That level of ignorance in basic sciences is truly disturbing.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 06:08:21 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
How could anyone miss any of those that graduated Junior High?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Not difficult.

I couldn't remember the name of the person who created the Polio vaccine but I knew what the other three people where known for.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Woo-hoo!

The vast majority of participants, totaling 3,278 adults, were able to answer the easy questions, like the core is Earth’s hottest layer (86%) and correctly identifying a comet (78%). And it’s definitely a relief to know that 73% knew the difference between astronomy, the legitimate field of science, and astrology...The two questions respondents struggled the most with were how high altitude affects water boiling (only 34% guessed correctly), and what determines loudness in a soundwave (35%, and it’s amplitude by the way).

I was using educated guesses on those two questions, and I guessed correctly. I knew the boiling point is different, but I was afeared I might have gotten it switched about. I wasn't sure about the loudness of a sound wave, either.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
How could anyone miss any of those that graduated Junior High?

;/  Do you really expect most people in non-mountainous areas to remember which way the boiling point thing works in Denver? From junior high? Seriously? Not to mention something as obscure as how hot it is at the earth's core.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!

;/  Do you really expect most people in non-mountainous areas to remember which way the boiling point thing works in Denver? From junior high? Seriously? Not to mention something as obscure as how hot it is at the earth's core.

Well, the answer to the Denver thing is on the back of every box of mac and cheese!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Why is astrology considered science?
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

HankB

• friend

It's on a par with modern psychiatry?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Yeah, that was more of a "social science" question.

Easy test. Other than it took me a minute to get to it.

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
0% or 100%.

Unfortunately, in order to determine which a cat might have to die.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
0% or 100%.

You say that like it's a bad thing......
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

MechAg94

• friend
I couldn't remember the name of the person who created the Polio vaccine but I knew what the other three people where known for.
Same here.  Fleming came to mind, but that was penicillin.  That is what makes multiple choice tests too easy.  Most of it was just basic science stuff. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Fleming
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
0% or 100%.

If I take the test multiple times, does that mean multiple cats die or just the same one dying and coming back?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Woo-hoo!

I was using educated guesses on those two questions, and I guessed correctly. I knew the boiling point is different, but I was afeared I might have gotten it switched about. I wasn't sure about the loudness of a sound wave, either.

The boiling point I got switched around. I knew I answered backwards before the next page loaded.
I honestly got the magnifying glass question wrong. *shrug*

I'm not sure how so many got the sound thing wrong, since the correct answer has the answer built in (amplified... Louder)

Which would be why it's a good question. Process of elimination and I bet you know what the other three are famous for.

As far as the astrology question goes, it's not any kind of science (much less a social science) the question was gauged to determine how well people know what feild of study is what. It's another "trick" question. I'll bet a lot of the people who get that wrong don't no the difference between that and astronomy.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cordex

• Administrator
Yep, easy. The correct answer distributions were interesting.

Perd Hapley

• friend
Well, the answer to the Denver thing is on the back of every box of mac and cheese!

You think people read directions?  :rofl:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Dear sweet shivering Shiva on a trampoline juggling chainsaws!

It's not that I actually knew the answer before I looked at the question asked, but that there are folks that get more than 2 (magnifying glass refraction and temp water boils at in Denver vs LA) wrong.

I used to teach "How to take a multiple-choice test".  It was nice to see so many of you were listening instead of throwing spitballs in class.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Yep, easy. The correct answer distributions were interesting.

Maybe the old guy memory loss is kicking in, but I don't recall being asked my race at the end, just gender and age. Yet the distributions had three (why only three?) races listed.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
Maybe the old guy memory loss is kicking in, but I don't recall being asked my race at the end, just gender and age. Yet the distributions had three (why only three?) races listed.
They just used your computer's camera.  :P

The results were from the actual survey, not the Internet version.

Hawkmoon

• friend
100% too.

Simple stuff . . . anything less than 100 percent would be embarrassing if you passed third grade.

Agreed.

Also 100%.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
As far as the astrology question goes, it's not any kind of science (much less a social science) the question was gauged to determine how well people know what feild of study is what. It's another "trick" question. I'll bet a lot of the people who get that wrong don't no the difference between that and astronomy.

Trivia for the day: The science known today as astronomy is derived from the ancient study of astrology. In ancient times, man had no reason to study the motion and relative positions of heavenly bodies except for astrological purposes.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
Trivia for the day: The science known today as astronomy is derived from the ancient study of astrology. In ancient times, man had no reason to study the motion and relative positions of heavenly bodies except for astrological purposes.

:facepalm: That didn't take long.

Are you saying that having a calendar was an astrological purpose? Or that navigation was an astrological purpose? Or probably a number of other things I'm leaving out?