Author Topic: Mandela's dead  (Read 15905 times)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Re: Mandela's dead
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 08:10:25 PM »
Yeah, I save my praise for non-communists who don't belong to hideously murderous organizations.  I mean, really, he deserves canonization for NOT proposing genocide?  Setting the standard pretty low, are we not?  He was Obamatastic before Obama got HIS Nobel Prize for Peace and Just Because.

It's Africa. Saying "no genocide" and meaning AND actively working to prevent it is not a low bar over there.

In fact, it's a pretty high one, all things considered.

I'll admit, I don't know much about the man except what they taught in the public schools (which wasn't much more then the liberal party line for their hero's) but based on what I do know about Africa in general and the conditions as european colonization started to fail (and then did) Mandela did pretty freaking good.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 08:42:28 PM »
I'll admit my initial reaction was a bit crass, co-worker told me the news and my Grumpy Cat reply was "Good."  Not really how I feel, more my reaction to the drawn out theater that has been his illness leading to a rather inevitable outcome and also a reaction to the mockery his own people made of him with their base political desires.

I guess I put Mandela up similar to MLK, a genuinely good person whose reputation and work were gutted by their acolytes.

But now, flags at half mast? Srsly? I'm pretty hateful on the trend to order flags to half staff for any two-bit American tragedy, now we do it for furriners?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 10:22:36 PM »
I'll admit my initial reaction was a bit crass, co-worker told me the news and my Grumpy Cat reply was "Good."  Not really how I feel, more my reaction to the drawn out theater that has been his illness leading to a rather inevitable outcome and also a reaction to the mockery his own people made of him with their base political desires.

I guess I put Mandela up similar to MLK, a genuinely good person whose reputation and work were gutted by their acolytes.

But now, flags at half mast? Srsly? I'm pretty hateful on the trend to order flags to half staff for any two-bit American tragedy, now we do it for furriners?

Asinine and grotesque to do so.

It's Africa. Saying "no genocide" and meaning AND actively working to prevent it is not a low bar over there.

In fact, it's a pretty high one, all things considered.

I'll admit, I don't know much about the man except what they taught in the public schools (which wasn't much more then the liberal party line for their hero's) but based on what I do know about Africa in general and the conditions as european colonization started to fail (and then did) Mandela did pretty freaking good.

True, it is Africa. 

OTOH, I hold folk to the same standards, regardless.  No extra cookie & pat on the head if they do the right thing and happen to be non-European.  Just because he was exceptional relative to the usual pack of savages over there doesn't make him a Great Man, merely as decent as any run-of-the-mill politician from the West. 

"All hail Mayor Bob Schmuckatelli!  Why is he great?  When he won office, he didn't have those rat bastards on the Planning Board killed, despite how they raked him over the coals all those years when Bob was chief attorney for the City Council.  I get all choked up just thinking about it."

So, yeah, what I am getting at is all this slathering up of Mandela is infantilizing to Africa and Africans.  It is long past the time when we ought to treat them like adults and expect them to act like adults on the world stage.  No extra strokes for not peeing on the rug and not eating their neighbor.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 10:33:05 PM »

True, it is Africa. 

OTOH, I hold folk to the same standards, regardless.  No extra cookie & pat on the head if they do the right thing and happen to be non-European.  Just because he was exceptional relative to the usual pack of savages over there doesn't make him a Great Man, merely as decent as any run-of-the-mill politician from the West. 

"All hail Mayor Bob Schmuckatelli!  Why is he great?  When he won office, he didn't have those rat bastards on the Planning Board killed, despite how they raked him over the coals all those years when Bob was chief attorney for the City Council.  I get all choked up just thinking about it."

So, yeah, what I am getting at is all this slathering up of Mandela is infantilizing to Africa and Africans.  It is long past the time when we ought to treat them like adults and expect them to act like adults on the world stage.  No extra strokes for not peeing on the rug and not eating their neighbor.

As much as I am generally prone to agree with your pragmatic and moral perspective, I think in this case we need to give proper credit to the perceived "savages" for not perpetuating the "Burn, Baby Burn!" stereotype. Part of the transition to adulthood, not holding a double standard, etc.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 10:45:49 PM »
Other countries lower their flags to half mast for our "luminaries".  Canada and The Philippines did so when Reagan died.

It's a general sign of respect in my view.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »

True, it is Africa. 

OTOH, I hold folk to the same standards, regardless.  No extra cookie & pat on the head if they do the right thing and happen to be non-European.  Just   he was exceptional relative to the usual pack of savages over there doesn't make him a Great Man, merely as decent as any run-of-the-mill politician from the West. 

well manfela.wasn't the lowest bar. Remember arafatvgot a nobel prize for simply lowering his monthly quota on suicide bombings,  so I guess mandela should get sainthood in comparison, though the ANC is going to be responsible  for a lot more deaths than the PLO by the time this is all over.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 01:02:42 PM »

True, it is Africa. 

yes, because the majority of people in this world live in the oh so civilized nations like the good ol' USA and Europe. ;/

Us westerners would never participate in genocide anyway, so god forbid we fail to hold Africa to the same standards as the middle east, south america and part of eastern europe.
(if you couldn't figure it out, that was sarcasm, BTW)

Get off your high horse and look around. Telling the oppressed to not kill their oppressors in a vicious blood bath is the uncommen move.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
Get off your high horse and look around. Telling the oppressed to not kill their oppressors in a vicious blood bath is the uncommen move.
So is not raping and pillaging your neighbors at every opportunity. Doesn't make you a saint because you pick one or the other instead of both or only do it occasionally.

Sure, it could have been a lot worse without Mandela being at the helm for the transition. I wont dispute that, and I think few rational people would. So hey, props for not being responsible for as many deaths and carnage as he could have I suppose. But I'm also certainly not going to give him hero worship like he was some saint, just because later in life he decided to moderate himself and wasn't as bad as he could have been.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 04:39:06 PM »
How many died in the American Revolution and then 87years later in the Civil War ?  Perhaps France should be the beacon of enlightened gov. transitions?   Then we have the entire 30 Years War where a change in Spanish rule practically denuded Germany and great swathes of Central Europe of humankind.

And how wars started whenever there was a change in England or France?  There a whole bunch of wars like Queen Anne's War , The French and Indian War, etc.  Napoleon and his return?

The European standard IS a massive bloodletting.   The fact that SA did NOT is rare in and of it's self.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 05:07:17 PM »
So is not raping and pillaging your neighbors at every opportunity. Doesn't make you a saint because you pick one or the other instead of both or only do it occasionally.

Sure, it could have been a lot worse without Mandela being at the helm for the transition. I wont dispute that, and I think few rational people would. So hey, props for not being responsible for as many deaths and carnage as he could have I suppose. But I'm also certainly not going to give him hero worship like he was some saint, just because later in life he decided to moderate himself and wasn't as bad as he could have been.

Oh good grief! ;/

Giving credit where credit is due is not the same thing as indulging in idolatry.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2013, 05:17:44 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2013, 05:56:30 PM »
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcOXqFQw2hc

I call bull.  It is unpossible for a Nobel Peace Prize winner to make peace-noises in English and call for genocide in their native tongue. 

Well, I could be wrong...

=============

Stop treating non-Europeans like retarded children with no agency and start treating them like adults who can take responsibility for their actions.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2013, 11:13:59 PM »
He was better than most on that continent (faint praise indeed).

So he is hailed as a hero when viewed through the soft bigotry of low expectations lens.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2013, 07:17:21 PM »

It's completely compliant and customary per the relevant section of The Flag Code.

In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2013, 07:31:34 PM »
Not against the flag code but I'll still agree with asinine and grotesque. Appropriate if the noble caricature was the true person, a lot less so given the reality. 
AKA Navy Joe   

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2013, 07:39:08 PM »
It's completely compliant and customary per the relevant section of The Flag Code.

In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law.

So?  Legality and grotesquerie are not mutually exclusive. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2013, 09:06:37 PM »
If I don't approve of the recently deceased/ "honored dead",  I leave my flag where it is.   

Simple, really.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2013, 09:27:52 PM »
I'm not at home, flag's still up, problem solved.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

Mannlicher

• Grumpy Old Gator
  • friend
  • The Bonnie Blue
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2013, 01:03:13 PM »
I'm wondering how much money it's gonna cost to send king Hussein, George Bush, Bill Clinton, and Jimmy (along with, of course, their families, entourage and Secret Service goons) to the "Ceremony of Remembrance" .  Got to be hundreds of millions of Dollars, all to celebrate a damn commie terrorist.
We live in interesting times.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2013, 03:39:57 PM »
Here's some of his work:

The gov of the town has since named the street the bombing took place on after the murderer.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2013, 08:49:31 AM »
The gov of the town has since named the street the bombing took place on after the murderer.
Its ok and not racist to murder white people.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2013, 07:03:58 PM »
Here's the chance to not let them back into the country!

But at least they'll get one right for once!
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com