Author Topic: Licensing the Undocumented  (Read 4602 times)

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Licensing the Undocumented
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 02:32:09 PM »
There is a huge practical benefit to this which is allowing for illegals to get insurance on the roads.  It's all well and good to talk principles but reducing the rate of un-insured accidents is a concrete benefit that outweighs whatever complaints about normalising illegal immigrants there might be.
You didn't take your meds this morning, did you?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 09:08:06 PM »
You didn't take your meds this morning, did you?

That's overly harsh. Statistically, some will indeed get insurance. We can disagree on the number of people that will theoretically get insurance, but guaranteed at least a few will.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2016, 09:10:12 PM »
A few bank robbers probably go to church on Sundays, too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2016, 09:26:05 PM »
My late father-in-law was one of those guys that didn't bother with insurance.
When asked about it he'd say "What are they gonna do, take my driver's license? I ain't got one of those either. I'm dirt poor so suing me would be a waste of time, *expletive deleted*ck 'em".
No insurance and/or no license should equal forfeiture of vehicle. Prove you had valid insurance and license at the time or tough *expletive deleted*it, you don't get it back, ever.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2016, 10:47:24 PM »
I'm confused.  Don't we recognize driver's licenses from Mexico anyhow?  (I know I've seen license plates from Mexico on the streets.)

If that's the case, why would Mexicans need US licenses anyhow?

Unless the underlying motivation for it all is simply to legitimize unlawful residents of this country.

???  [popcorn]

Terry
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 10:51:40 PM »
I'm confused.  Don't we recognize driver's licenses from Mexico anyhow?  (I know I've seen license plates from Mexico on the streets.)

For visitors. I think all states require that people who move there get their license within ___ days after becoming a resident. (I can't remember if it's 30 days or 60 days in my state.)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2016, 11:27:53 PM »
So State-licensing them is a tacit recognition that they are not merely visitors?

Hmmmmm.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »

If that's the case, why would Mexicans need US licenses anyhow?

Unless the underlying motivation for it all is simply to legitimize unlawful residents of this country.

???  [popcorn]

Terry

For visitors. I think all states require that people who move there get their license within ___ days after becoming a resident. (I can't remember if it's 30 days or 60 days in my state.)

Thing is how can you become a resident if you're not legal.  Double edged sword and Terry hit the nail squarely on the head.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 08:33:55 AM »
Prove you had valid insurance and license at the time or tough *expletive deleted*it, you don't get it back, ever.

Why?  What is the reason of forcing a person to have auto insurance? 

Does that same reason apply to forcing a person to have boat, house, medical, umbrella insurance?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 08:47:10 AM »

Does that same reason apply to forcing a person to have boat, house, medical, umbrella insurance?

Not at all, no person is forced to get auto insurance. You don't need insurance to own a vehicle. You don't need insurance to drive it on private property. You merely need insurance if you're driving on public roads. You're not required to drive on public roads.

As I recall, you're not required to have house insurance by the government. Ditto boats on private property. Medical is the only mandatory insurance, errr, tax.  ;/
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 08:47:39 AM »

Driving is a privilege, not a right. If a person wants to to use the roads, they need to make adult choices. I agree that they shouldn't have to buy insurance though- if they have the financial ability to post a bond of significant enough value to cover any injuries/damage they might cause on the road. The whole 'I'm too poor to have insurance' idea doesn't sit well with me. If a person causes damages due to an accident that they are negligent in and don't have insurance, it should be treated as criminal property damage or criminal assault.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 08:49:53 AM »

As I recall, you're not required to have house insurance by the government. Ditto boats on private property. Medical is the only mandatory insurance, errr, tax.  ;/

Property insurance is only required per agreement with the lender financing it.

Barack Obama

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 08:52:31 AM »

I should have clarified that it is only a requirement when driving on public roads.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 09:59:07 AM »
I'd be fine with not requiring insurance on public roads as long as we brought back debtor's prisons, or else the uninsured motorist who hit me had to become my butler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpkpf_BN03A
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tim L

• friend
    • TDLITWILLER
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 07:31:10 PM »
Yes, because lack of Driver's Licenses, THAT was what was keeping them from insuring their $500 mid '90's cars.  Now, I'm sure they are all rushing to Allstate and Progressive.

Just another way for California to remove another "clunker" from the streets.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2016, 10:02:45 PM »
Driving is a privilege, not a right. If a person wants to to use the roads, they need to make adult choices. I agree that they shouldn't have to buy insurance though- if they have the financial ability to post a bond of significant enough value to cover any injuries/damage they might cause on the road. The whole 'I'm too poor to have insurance' idea doesn't sit well with me. If a person causes damages due to an accident that they are negligent in and don't have insurance, it should be treated as criminal property damage or criminal assault.

I thought that's how it worked.  I think I know people who have enough "liquid assets" that they can get a statement to the effect of that and not carry traditional auto insurance.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »

Do they actually have to pass a driving test, or do they get handed the license like a candy?

My suspicion is this whole deal have nothing to do with automobiles, and everything to do with "motor voter" registration.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 01:02:24 PM »
I thought that's how it worked.  I think I know people who have enough "liquid assets" that they can get a statement to the effect of that and not carry traditional auto insurance.

Yes.  It's called "Self-Insured."

My suspicion is this whole deal have nothing to do with automobiles, and everything to do with "motor voter" registration.

That's the way I look at it, too.  Back door voter enfranchisement.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 02:07:50 PM »
How is jury selection done in California, voter registration or drivers license/state id?

Oklahoma is from drivers license/state id.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 07:03:48 PM »
I'd be fine with not requiring insurance on public roads as long as we brought back debtor's prisons, or else the uninsured motorist who hit me had to become my butler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpkpf_BN03A

Would you want a surly uninsured person butling for you?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 09:30:28 PM »
Would you want a surly uninsured person butling for you?

As long as I have the controller to his shock collar.  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 10:22:53 PM »
As long as I have the controller to his shock collar.  =D

And knows how to make eggs Woodhouse.  >:D
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2016, 02:14:42 PM »

That elephant in the room. You just pointed it out.

Barack Obama

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »
I'd be fine with not requiring insurance on public roads as long as we brought back debtor's prisons,

If an unlicensed, uninsured motorist hits me, totals my car, and puts me out of work for a month while I recuperate ... how does it help me in any way to put him in a debtors' prison? That won't replace my car or pay my bills.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2016, 05:25:33 PM »
If an unlicensed, uninsured motorist hits me, totals my car, and puts me out of work for a month while I recuperate ... how does it help me in any way to put him in a debtors' prison? That won't replace my car or pay my bills.

Well, I reckon I was being facetious. :)