Author Topic: Windows 7 or 8  (Read 22560 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Windows 7 or 8
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »
I always use a USB mouse and never the touchpad, but apparently that doesn't prevent the touchpad from randomly interfering.  Never have this problem on XP.

I have one W7 laptop and two XP laptops (three if you count the one with the farked video).

My laptops (both ASUS), if I push Fn+F9 it disables the touchpad.

I can also go into control panel and adjust mouse settings to that if I plug in an external mouse device the touchpad is automatically disabled.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »
Since nobody has yet, I'll have to say neither. I switched to Linux about 5 years ago and have no regrets.

Yup. 15 (holy crap!) years here.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »
Your laptop is too new.  You should stick with the same strategy that works for your trucks, older is better.

Chris

It's the latest one provided by my employer.  Apparently they want me to move into the 20th century.  Thing doesn't neck rein worth a darn  :lol:

My laptops (both ASUS), if I push Fn+F9 it disables the touchpad.

I can also go into control panel and adjust mouse settings to that if I plug in an external mouse device the touchpad is automatically disabled.

Thanks!  =)   Now I can bill for fokking around with my laptop settings (the other option was a sledgehammer).
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 11:39:16 AM »
Your laptop is too new.  You should stick with the same strategy that works for your trucks, older is better.

Chris

Dang.  Should-a grabbed the old Compaq Win98 laptop I saw at a garage sale a couple weeks back.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »
Dang.  Should-a grabbed the old Compaq Win98 laptop I saw at a garage sale a couple weeks back.

I've got a Win95 laptop with an internal dial up modem sitting on a shelf in the closet  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2013, 12:33:08 PM »
I've got a Win95 laptop with an internal dial up modem sitting on a shelf in the closet  :P

Is it still horse-pulled or has it been converted to coal?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2013, 12:49:04 PM »

I read somewhere that you can use the i386 folders somehow to restore one's  Win 2000 operating system (as well as XP), but never tried it.  Apparently, there are two sets of i386 folders, one for the system, and one for the drivers.  But the i386 folders are sitting there on both my beloved Compaq Armada (W2000) and my delectable Dell (XP).

I decided I'd HAVE to learn W7 on my detestable HP 64-bit, which is why I never tried it on either of the older machines.  I believe I recollect reading that using the i386 folders will also eliminate any malware but in my old age and dotage, this may not be correct.

Now, where'd I put my keys?

Terry
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 01:05:36 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »
I just went looking through my MSDN subscription. 

I can get Office 95, and 2003, but 2000 is gone.  Sorry.  Normally they'll have all sorts of old OS and app downloads on there.

I also checked my archives here, and I'm kind of surprised I don't have any Office2K installation media and service packs.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 01:49:28 PM »
Is it still horse-pulled or has it been converted to coal?

Brad

Must be coal.  It runs pretty hot.  Like it burns your legs hot  =(

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
I just went looking through my MSDN subscription. 

I can get Office 95, and 2003, but 2000 is gone.  Sorry.  Normally they'll have all sorts of old OS and app downloads on there.

I also checked my archives here, and I'm kind of surprised I don't have any Office2K installation media and service packs.
Looked through my stuff at work and eureka!, found an old CD I made some years ago with the earlier service paks and a host of updates.  =D 

Did a little research, and while various patches and O2k SP3 are still available from MS, they've discontinued availability of earlier service paks at their website - and SP3 requires the earlier paks be installed. It seems MS would much rather have people spend $$$ installing their newest bloatware than reinstall an old program that is more than adequate for 99% of home users.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2013, 03:35:12 PM »
Looked through my stuff at work and eureka!, found an old CD I made some years ago with the earlier service paks and a host of updates.  =D 

Did a little research, and while various patches and O2k SP3 are still available from MS, they've discontinued availability of earlier service paks at their website - and SP3 requires the earlier paks be installed. It seems MS would much rather have people spend $$$ installing their newest bloatware than reinstall an old program that is more than adequate for 99% of home users.

Didn't the dot gov do something similar with cars ?  :mad:

I still use Office 2K on my own laptop.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »

Maybe I should have kept my 300 baud accoustic coupler/modem with the RS-232 cable.....

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with Microsoft.  I have a bunch of certs and have made my living using Microsoft technologies for 16 years.  Even so, every couple of years or more I say that I am dropping MS for Linux and LAMPS.  Then I go to Linux and figure out how much the latest desktops are very poor clones of Microsoft desktops, installation packages a pain in the tail compared to clicking "setup.exe", and so on. As bad as MS is, it's better than most options - except a Mac and even then I am not certain.

I really hate Windows 8 but I agree with Darby.  If you go MS, go with Windows 8.  You'll get a free or cheap upgrade to W8.1 and, eventually, you have to get what's new anyway.

NEOKShooter on GRM
Republicans: The other Democratic Party

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2013, 04:13:13 PM »
I have a love/hate relationship with Microsoft.  I have a bunch of certs and have made my living using Microsoft technologies for 16 years.  Even so, every couple of years or more I say that I am dropping MS for Linux and LAMPS.  Then I go to Linux and figure out how much the latest desktops are very poor clones of Microsoft desktops, installation packages a pain in the tail compared to clicking "setup.exe", and so on. As bad as MS is, it's better than most options - except a Mac and even then I am not certain.

I really hate Windows 8 but I agree with Darby.  If you go MS, go with Windows 8.  You'll get a free or cheap upgrade to W8.1 and, eventually, you have to get what's new anyway.

All of this.
I'm a mac user, and prefer them for my personal computers. Of course my work machines are windows boxes.

Lot easier to configure basic networking services on the windows side of the house as well, versus leeee-nucks
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2013, 04:25:18 PM »

I've got the o2k service packs, if needed.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2013, 06:09:49 PM »
All of this.
I'm a mac user, and prefer them for my personal computers. Of course my work machines are windows boxes.

Lot easier to configure basic networking services on the windows side of the house as well, versus leeee-nucks

My next laptop will be a mac.  Everyone knows that a Mac is the best hardware on which to run Windows.
NEOKShooter on GRM

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »

I've got two of them around.  :neener:
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2013, 08:56:00 PM »
Maybe I should have kept my 300 baud accoustic coupler/modem with the RS-232 cable.....

Got one o' them, too, that I used on the road to download rawinsonde data from the NWS in my storm chasing days.
Fed it into one of my Win95 laptops with wx modeling software.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Levant

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2013, 09:43:47 PM »
Windows 95 was the best PC operating system ever made.  I ran it on 4MB of RAM and 20MB hard drive.  Of course I couldn't multitask  until I got 8MB of RAM.  Once I did that, it was totally awesome.  HOw did we get from something that lean to an operating system that adds little more value but requires a bare minimum of 500 times as much hard drive space to install, and 500 times as much memory to run reasonably.

Quote from: Found in fancy needle-point hanging on Bill Gate's office wall.
  • All of your disk drive are belong to us.
  • All of your RAM are belong to us.
  • All of your CPU are belong to us.
  • All of your Internet bandwidth are belong to us.
NEOKShooter on GRM

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2013, 10:15:24 PM »

Mtnbkr speak true.

How are you supposed to project the rugged Longmire image with something that newfangled?

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2013, 10:21:59 PM »
Mtnbkr speak true.

How are you supposed to project the rugged Longmire image with something that newfangled?

A bunch of little 4MB Win95 virtuals, squirming like maggots.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2013, 06:54:30 AM »
Windows 95 was the best PC operating system ever made.  I ran it on 4MB of RAM and 20MB hard drive.  Of course I couldn't multitask  until I got 8MB of RAM.  Once I did that, it was totally awesome.  HOw did we get from something that lean to an operating system that adds little more value but requires a bare minimum of 500 times as much hard drive space to install, and 500 times as much memory to run reasonably.

You weren't multitasking with any amount of RAM in Win95.  Win95 was still task switching like Win3.1x.  At that time, NT, OSX, and Linux were the only multitasking desktop OSes available.  Mac maybe, I'm not sure if it was multitasking or task-switching before the BSD integration.

I was supporting a Win95/Win98 LAN with 200+ users and a half dozen NT4.0 servers back in the late 90s.  Win95 had many shortfalls in networking, security, stability, etc.  I migrated my power users onto NT4 Workstation so they could get work done.

No offense, but all of the Win9x flavors (including ME) were crap.  Hardware is cheap, it bothers me not at all that Win7 requires 4gig of RAM and a 300gb+ hard drive to run.  It's so much better than anything that came before, it is well worth the price.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 07:42:53 AM by mtnbkr »

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2013, 07:20:55 AM »
Yep.

Lol... Windows95 the best. Haha
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2013, 08:09:13 AM »
Hardware is cheap, it bothers me not at all that Win7 requires 4gig of RAM and a 300gb+ hard drive to run.

You're joking about the 300 gb, right?  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2013, 09:54:41 AM »

You're joking about the 300 gb, right?  ???

I didn't have the spec right in front of me, but I know from experience that 4gb RAM and a 300gb HD are more than adequate for Win7 (my first build was 8gb RAM and a 500gb drive, my work laptop is closer to what I posted above).  You can barely find <500gb drives these days (recently saw 2TB drives for $80) and RAM is cheap, so it's a moot point. 

Chris