Author Topic: I got bounced out of a church today  (Read 23920 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: I got bounced out of a church today
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 07:50:18 PM »
People are one reason I avoid organized religion.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 08:03:42 PM »
People are THE reason I avoid organized religion.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 08:04:45 PM »
People are one reason I avoid organized religion.

Dear old dad explained it to me:  neither organized labor nor organized religion are.

The last place I got dragged to stated their system of belief as "Equivacal Polydoxy".  Made the Unitarian/Universalists look downright fundamental.

My ideal church would be a Conservative Jewish Congregation with a Southern Baptist rabbi.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 08:08:50 PM »
Dear old dad explained it to me:  neither organized labor nor organized religion are.

The last place I got dragged to stated their system of belief as "Equivacal Polydoxy".  Made the Unitarian/Universalists look downright fundamental.

My ideal church would be a Conservative Jewish Congregation with a Southern Baptist rabbi.

stay safe.

There was one in Anniston Alabama.  I would imagine it's still there.

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 08:38:10 PM »
It's harder to get your wallet out with a kid in tow.
As my gramma used to say- scew em.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2013, 09:58:02 AM »
It's a widely known fact that children are satanic until they're about 15. Then they're just lesser evil. For the most part.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2013, 10:54:45 AM »

stay safe.

I miss the church I grew up in, a Roman Catholic church that was ran by a monestary. The monks were more concerned with health of the congregation then drumming up money all the time. We also seemed to have no problem with the collection plates or folks leaving sizable parts of their estates to a chruch trust fund. This all seemd to disappear when the monks left the parish and it went back to diocese priests who beat the donation drum every chance they got.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 11:16:18 AM by charby »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
Re: Re: Re: I got bounced out of a church today
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2013, 11:10:07 AM »
I miss the church I grew up in, a Roman Catholic church that was ran by a monestary. The monks were more concerned with health of the congregation then drumming up money all the time. We also seemed to have to problem with the collection plates or folks leaving sizable parts of their estates to a chruch trust fund. This all seemd to disappear when the monks left the parish and it went back to diocese priests who beat the donation drum every chance they got.
This is something I like about my church as well. The only time the drums are beaten is when the check book is getting a mite light, or theres something specific. And its from a organizational perspective, not a "show Jesus da $$$!"

There is one Sunday a year with a message dedicated to stewardship, but its more about being involved. Finances are a small part of it.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Re: Re: I got bounced out of a church today
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2013, 11:17:05 AM »
This is something I like about my church as well. The only time the drums are beaten is when the check book is getting a mite light, or theres something specific. And its from a organizational perspective, not a "show Jesus da $$$!"

There is one Sunday a year with a message dedicated to stewardship, but its more about being involved. Finances are a small part of it.

Sounds like a nice church.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2013, 11:54:33 AM »
I came very close to doing physical violence to the "preacher" who presided over my grandfathers funeral earlier this year when he turned the sermon/eulogy/whatever from a rememberance of my grandfather's life to "you're all going to hell if you don't join a church".

Also the speech done by both of the preachers for both of my grandfathers were just pathetic. I told my family that if my funeral service was that lame I was going to come back and haunt the *expletive deleted* out of everybody. I'd rather have no funeral service than the fiascos they had.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »
James 1:27
It's not about the organization.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »
If you're looking for a church and don't like the way they treat women with children - keep looking. Elsewhere.

I miss the church I grew up in, a Roman Catholic church that was ran by a monestary. The monks were more concerned with health of the congregation then drumming up money all the time.
I attended a parochial school run (mostly) by nuns. There were several priests in the rectory and the old monsignor was everything a priest should be - which meant he'd never rise above running a single parish. When the diocese forced him into retirement the local cardinal appointed one of "his" minions who did things like canceling the annual carnival - not because it lost money (it didn't!) but because in his eyes it didn't make enough. That it was a very popular community event that drew the whole parish together was irrelevant to him. Then there was a bit of a scandal when money collected for the school went missing - and it turned out the diocese was taking it and diverting it to ghetto congregations across town. (This was in Chicago, btw.) Big stink ensued, as this didn't set well with donors who'd been told their pledges would be spent on THIS school.

And before anyone asks, despite the fiscal/social problems with the new "leadership" I'll go on record as saying that to the best of my knowledge, no children were sexually abused by the clergy, nuns, or anyone else while I was attending school there.

School is still running, and by their website, the current student body is almost all Mexican/Hispanic/Latino or whatever today's accepted term is, with an enrollment about 1/4 of what it was when I went there.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2013, 03:27:04 PM »
. I'd rather have no funeral service than the fiascos they had.

Viking Pyre for you bud.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »
At the Church I grew up in, the little kids were in a Sunday School class separate during the sermons.  There was a nursery too.  Kids did go to the main auditorium for the sermon but were expected to keep quiet and still.  They had sizeable TV rooms for those who had trouble keeping quiet, were coughing or were showing up late.  The sermon was on the intercom in half the church anyway. 

The purpose of the quiet requirement was to show respect for those others in the Church who were serious students of the Word of God so that you didn't disturb them.  I never knew anyone who had a problem with it.  It was and is a pretty technical church and people do take it seriously. 

Take it however, you want it, but it seems a bit selfish to me to expect any given church to adapt to whatever you want to do on that given day. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2013, 04:47:43 PM »
Viking Pyre for you bud.

Thats actually what I want.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »
Viking Pyre for you bud.

I would like to be loaded into a photon torpedo casing and lauched, to the strains of 'Amazing Grace' played on the bagpipes.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2013, 05:35:09 PM »
beat the donation drum every chance they got
I actually got excommunicated for not tithing  :facepalm:

Long story ... I knew that I was going to eventually leave (take a trip and not come back) over other reasons.  Sorta precipitated things.  =(

When I started going to church again up until I finally quit forever, I would only give cash so they couldn't track it to me one way or the other.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2013, 06:42:24 PM »
I came very close to doing physical violence to the "preacher" who presided over my grandfathers funeral earlier this year when he turned the sermon/eulogy/whatever from a rememberance of my grandfather's life to "you're all going to hell if you don't join a church".

I don't know what was actually said, so I won't defend it. But I don't think it's unusual for a funeral homily to stress the imminence of death, and the need for salvation. A Christian funeral is not solely, or even primarily, about the deceased or the mourners. It is also about (or perhaps it is really about) the gospel message.

But again, I'm not defending that particular funeral sermon, as I don't know what was said.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 07:23:10 PM »
If someone wants to preach at my funeral, it's going to be over my dead body  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 09:04:33 PM »
Quote from: HankB
And before anyone asks, despite the fiscal/social problems with the new "leadership" I'll go on record as saying that to the best of my knowledge, no children were sexually abused by the clergy, nuns, or anyone else while I was attending school there.

No....they were too busy *expletive deleted*ck -ing the donors....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2013, 09:28:08 PM »
If someone wants to preach at my funeral, it's going to be over my dead body  :mad:
Your proposal is acceptable.

sm

• friend
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2013, 09:34:33 PM »
Just my thoughts:

There is a difference in religion and spirituality.

I got bounced out of a church, I was NOT a member of, but I was married the first time in, by a female minister.
[Which will tick off many of the 400+ "guests", whom, don't think females should be ministers...]

Why? I Married a gal whose momma was a "big deal" in that church. Wife/daughter was on "the books" if you will.

Why II? Even though I came home early from a business trip and found my wife in bed with a co-worker it was "my fault".

And who says there is NO politics is religion?

Ironic is,  this MIL, did the same thing with my wife's daddy, meaning my
FIL found his wife (MIL) in bed with another man.He too was banned, and he too was not member of that church. Like me , he (FIL) called his attorney after discovering, and asked divorce pretending start ASAP!

Well, it was MY fault, as my  good Doctor Shooting/Hunting/Fishing buddy and personal MD/ FIL  told to me NOT marry his daughter..."she is lot like momma".

Just me, then again it is between YOU and whatever HIGHER POWER one chooses.

And again I reiterate this part about a difference in religion and spirituality

*what do i know*

sm

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
No funeral.  Graveside military service at the Abraham Lincoln Veterans Cemetery.  Anyone and everyone will be invited to say their piece, good bad or indifferent. Then this played while the flag is folded and then presented to my son.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEaRiGZBmw0

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjxqZWWmgc   >:D >:D

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

sm

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2013, 09:45:10 PM »
No funeral here as well.
Instructions are for my body to go to Medical Science.
I was here one day, not here the next.

Life is Life and Reality is Real.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2013, 09:53:22 PM »
SM,
 Have you made any arrangements? Wife &
I were  discussing this very option but we don't know who to contact or where to start.