Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods  (Read 4534 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Dick's Sporting Goods
« on: October 29, 2009, 10:54:57 AM »
I have just read in the local paper that Dick's Sporting Goods will soon be opening its first store in Washington state.  Apparently they are expanding onto the West Coast. 

Having never heard of or been in a Dick's Sporting Goods, is it a good store?  Do they carry firearms and related accessories?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Dick's Sporting Goods
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 11:03:41 AM »

Having never heard of or been in a Dick's Sporting Goods, is it a good store?  Do they carry firearms and related accessories?

Often and yes.

It's a large, chain Sporting Goods store. It tends to have a good sized hunting/fishing/outdoor department.

I can pick up pistol ammo there but they only sell long guns. (No black guns as far as I've seen).

In all, it's like most large sporting goods stores- some employees are good, many are clueless.

If you already know what you want, it's a good place to get it.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 11:03:59 AM »
We have a store in my area. They have OK inventory in all areas but service is just about non-existant. The gun counter does seem to have someone close by at all times (this is SC after all) and they seem fairly knowledgeable about the items on the rack.

I guarantee your mileage will vary. I went to the new Academy across the street the day they opened and there were helpful people EVERYWHERE and they had EBR's, Benellis, lots of nice things on the rack.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 11:08:48 AM »
They're pretty crappy IMO.  Poor gun/hunting section, mostly low end gear.  They've intentionally lied to my wife in order to make a sale. 

Chris

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
When Dick's opened near me, they had a grand opening with lots of coupons, discounts, etc.

No pistols or EBRs, and case-lot "sale" prices on ammo were no better than WalMart standard prices, so I came out empty-handed.

Dick's coupons in the newspaper usually exclude guns & ammo.  =(

On the other hand, a week or two back, while looking through their ad in the paper, I saw they had an "almost" EBR, one of the AR-based Remington .223s with camo finish. And 200 round bulk packs of Remington .223 55 gr. FMJ were around $80, or $20 less than Academy or Cabela's.

Maybe, just maybe, they're beginning to get a clue . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
There's a Dick's fairly close to me but I never go there as there isn't anything really interesting there for me considering that there is a Gander Mountain and a Cabela's 5 minutes away from my house, and a Sportsman's Warehouse about 1/2 hr drive away.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 11:28:18 AM »
Brimic, with Cabelas and SW nearby, I wouldn't even bother with Gander Mtn.

A SW and GM opened in my old hometown.  Unfortunately, that SW was part of the downsizing and closed after a year, leaving the GM.  The town got the short end of that deal.

Chris

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 11:32:37 AM »
There's a Dick's fairly close to me but I never go there as there isn't anything really interesting there for me considering that there is a Gander Mountain and a Cabela's 5 minutes away from my house, and a Sportsman's Warehouse about 1/2 hr drive away.

If you mean the Sportsman's Warehouse in New Berlin, off of I-43, it's closed.  =(
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 11:38:51 AM »
They're pretty crappy IMO.  Poor gun/hunting section, mostly low end gear.  They've intentionally lied to my wife in order to make a sale. 

Chris

I concur.  Crappy selection of gear for the most part.  A little more than a good Wal-Mart might have.  Pretty much a carbon copy of a Big 5 or small Sports Authority.  Once in awhile, I do get something good on sale.  Otherwise,  :rolleyes:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zahc

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 11:46:57 AM »
Dick's coupons in the newspaper usually exclude guns & ammo.

Not in Texas they don't.

They aren't a "gun" store, but for an "outdoors" store you can often find in the same mall with all those other stores that wife's find so alluring, you can't do any better. It's great to be able to theoretically go to the mall and buy a case of shotgun shells to go with your dress shoes and ties.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 11:55:21 AM »
Not in Texas they don't.
Read the fine print - unless they've changed lately, the coupons I've seen locally do. In fact, when the Dick's opened up near me about a year ago, one of the gals they had handing out coupons during grand opening rolled her eyes theatrically when she said ". . . SOME people told me they were disappointed that the coupons didn't apply to guns and ammo . . . "

When I told her "Well, that's understandable . . . after all, those are some of the most worthwhile things the store offers . . . " she was taken aback, and gave me a look that said "Oh, so you're one of those . . . "

Darned right I am.

( Wonder what her reaction would have been if she knew she was standing next to a man with a loaded BHP on his hip under his shirt . . .  =D )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 12:15:24 PM »
Not terribly impressed with the Dick's Sporting Goods in my neck of the woods. 

I usually defer to the Mountain of Geese or Cabelas, although for reloading supplies I either use the Ammo Box (Sun Prairie) or Bill's Sporting Goods in Lomira. 
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 12:29:39 PM »
Do they carry firearms and related accessories?

Rifles only, and no EBRs.

Not terribly impressed with the Dick's Sporting Goods in my neck of the woods.

Yup.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 12:32:40 PM »
Every now and again you'll find some good ammo deals there.

A couple of years ago (2007) I got 1,000 rounds of 9mm at $7 a box when the normal price was $10.  Wish I bought 2,000.

25 round boxes of Remington Gun Club shells are $5.50 a box right now.  Kinda hard to be that and the hulls are decent enough for reloading a few times.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 12:39:42 PM »
Pretty much a carbon copy of a Big 5 or small Sports Authority.

^^This.

The ones we have here in AZ tend to be anchor stores at malls, which I find kinda weird.  We have one up at Arrowhead in Glendale, and another at Fiesta Mall in Mesa.

It's basically a double-decker Big 5.  A bit more REI feel to it, but the gun counter is pretty small and to any shooter that actually participates in gun forums, competitions or is otherwise a "gun culture" type of person they'll find it lacking unless they're there for something very basic.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 12:42:12 PM »
If you have an Entertainment Book, it usually has coupons for Dick's Sporting Goods.  I looked the fine print over and didn't see any exclusions for ammo or guns so I decided to use it.  The kid at the register balked a little bit until is told him to read the fine print himself as it did not specifically exclude guns or ammo.  He agreed and I walked out with $20 off a 10-22.  I used another one from the Entertainment Book to purchase ammo and didn't have a problem either.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 12:45:46 PM »
Interesting comments above about the malls.  This very first Dick's is going into a mall in Puyallup, about 35 miles south of Seattle.  It is taking over a vacant Linens n' Things and a Circuit City that have been sitting empty for over a year. 

It would be a 120 mile round trip for me, so with the price of gas what it is, it doesn't sound like it is worth a special trip until one gets built much closer to me.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 01:31:24 PM »
^^This.

The ones we have here in AZ tend to be anchor stores at malls, which I find kinda weird.  We have one up at Arrowhead in Glendale, and another at Fiesta Mall in Mesa.

It's basically a double-decker Big 5.  A bit more REI feel to it, but the gun counter is pretty small and to any shooter that actually participates in gun forums, competitions or is otherwise a "gun culture" type of person they'll find it lacking unless they're there for something very basic.

Only the big ones are REI-ish.  Some of those will have a little more selction on hunting stuff.  Out here they are strip mall fodder mostly.  Downtown one in Salt Lake is an anchor in an outdoor mall, double decker, climbing wall, etc.  You can go get your golf clubs wrapped, buy some running shoes, get a bicycle, baseball gear, and an overpriced rifle.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 02:06:49 PM »
mine has remington AR pattern EMORs
evil mossy oak rifles
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 02:51:05 PM »
I don't think much of Dicks.  Their prices are not all that great, selection is only fair.  Not worth me walking through the mall.

I'm still a strong proponent of supporting my local independent merchants.  Let Dicks go the way of others that came before (e.g. Eddie Bauer, LLBean) - Clothing stores with a smattering of hiking gear and an odd kayak here and there.

Dicks anecdote:
The one closest to me gave Glennie quite the scare.   Glen's a good ole UP transplant, never been to the mall, needed a boresighter for his muzzleloader.   Looks in the phone book under "guns and gunsmiths" and calls Dicks.  They said "Bring it on over.  Come in the main door and check it in at the counter."

Imagine a 50 year old 5'-5" county boy wandering through the mall in circles looking for the gun counter.  Smack, the SWAT team tackles him and holds a nine to his head.

Glen told me his side the day after it happened.
"I just needed to get my muzzlegun on the paper"

http://blog.mlive.com/chronicle/2007/12/man_with_rifle_alarms_lakes_ma.html
7-11 was a part time job.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »
If you mean the Sportsman's Warehouse in New Berlin, off of I-43, it's closed
:mad: Crap, when did that happen?
We had one up by me near West Bend a few years ago, but it was only open for about a year, haven't been to the New Berlin one probably a year.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »
:mad: Crap, when did that happen?
We had one up by me near West Bend a few years ago, but it was only open for about a year, haven't been to the New Berlin one probably a year.

It happened a pretty long time ago. I think it might have been 6 months ago... That place was 5 minutes away from where I live, and I thought wasn't quite as pricey as Gander Mountain. Their Spyderco selection was decent, which I liked. Gander Mountain's isnt.
Andy

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2009, 03:44:13 PM »
It happened a pretty long time ago. I think it might have been 6 months ago... That place was 5 minutes away from where I live, and I thought wasn't quite as pricey as Gander Mountain. Their Spyderco selection was decent, which I liked. Gander Mountain's isnt.

Yeah, you can often do better on the net, but SW's prices were decent when you factor in shipping, and the convenience of "gotta have it now" etc. They had a very nice knife and Surefire flashlight counter, optics, all sorts of goodies. And I know there's better places in WI, but it had the largest reloading section I've ever personally been in.

Apparently the Canadian company that was taking over SW did not take over all the stores, and New Berlin was not on the list.  =(

I promise not to duck.

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2009, 03:49:53 PM »
MillCreek, I have been in lots of Dick's stores and there is no way that I would drive to Puyallup to check it out.  If I'm looking for any serious shooting gear or anything handgun-related, I wouldn't bother to go into one if it were across the street.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 04:02:09 PM »
I don't think much of Dicks.  Their prices are not all that great, selection is only fair.  Not worth me walking through the mall.

I'm still a strong proponent of supporting my local independent merchants.  Let Dicks go the way of others that came before (e.g. Eddie Bauer, LLBean) - Clothing stores with a smattering of hiking gear and an odd kayak here and there.

Dicks anecdote:
The one closest to me gave Glennie quite the scare.   Glen's a good ole UP transplant, never been to the mall, needed a boresighter for his muzzleloader.   Looks in the phone book under "guns and gunsmiths" and calls Dicks.  They said "Bring it on over.  Come in the main door and check it in at the counter."

Imagine a 50 year old 5'-5" county boy wandering through the mall in circles looking for the gun counter.  Smack, the SWAT team tackles him and holds a nine to his head.

Glen told me his side the day after it happened.
"I just needed to get my muzzlegun on the paper"

http://blog.mlive.com/chronicle/2007/12/man_with_rifle_alarms_lakes_ma.html

Stores that deal in firearms and don't back their customers to the hilt when $#!+ like that happens, don't deserve my business.

According to your friend:

Looks in the phone book under "guns and gunsmiths" and calls Dicks.  They said "Bring it on over.  Come in the main door and check it in at the counter."

According to the story:

"Our rules are they have to bring (the rifle) into the main customer service counter. If they come in the front mall entrance, they have to wait there and ask someone to walk them in," Bean said.

Once a customer is inside the store, the gun must be checked in at the customer service desk and "green tagged." The tags include the customer's contact information, including a phone number. The gun is then trigger-locked if it wasn't when it was brought in, Bean said.

Bean said the store has a strict policy about gun purchases and in most cases the items are "broken down" or in a case.

"If someone comes in and buys a gun, we tell them they can't walk through the mall with the gun," Bean said. "When a gun is sold, a customer is walked out to his or her vehicle."

Sheesh, a mall-sold product isn't even welcome in the mall.

That's just stupid.  Talk about a culture-clash waiting to happen.  Which it did.

if Dick's isn't willing to be a front-line soldier in the culture battle and aggressively lobby mall management and the local PD in favor of things like CCW and rational discrimination used when encountering a long gun versus the zOMG heezgottagun!!11!eleventyone!1! reaction... the hell with 'em.

If your friend is to be believed, Dicks even set him up for the SWAT tackle by telling him to come in the main door.

What "Dicks."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!