Author Topic: My new mayor  (Read 2540 times)

My new mayor
« on: November 10, 2005, 04:12:50 PM »
http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0511/09/0met-377073.htm

Is it just me, or is he everywhere?

This morning, he was on the Today Show and right now he's in New York to be on Letterman.

It's pretty cool, though..he won as a write in candidate because he didn't turn 18 till September. A lot of people are writing him off as a novelty, I think, but he did a good job. He knocked on every door in town and answered any questions anyone had..he's also a nice young man and runs cross with my kids.

He's the first candidate who ever jumped and said "Yes!" when I told him he could put a sign in my yard. Smiley

It's nice for us to make the news about something positive for once..for such a small town, it seems like CNN finds its way here every couple of years, but we make the headlines pretty often.

(Last year one of the guys who was decapitated in Iraq was from here..and before that the college president was boofing his daughter in law who committed suicide, and before that the fireworks factory blew up..twice, and before that the militia execution..and the tornados and the UFOs. We have 8,200 people and I swear 1/2 of them have appeared on CNN..but this is the first person on Lettermen, I think.)

grampster

• friend
My new mayor
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »
How is he holding up, Barbara.  I heard on the news that for some reason his margin of victory went from 68 votes to 2.  Will the incumbent mayor ask for a recount?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
My new mayor
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2005, 06:24:17 PM »
before that the college president was boofing his daughter in law who committed suicide, and before that the fireworks factory blew up..twice, and before that the militia execution..and the tornados and the UFOs. We have 8,200 people and I swear 1/2 of them have appeared on CNN
Who's running the Chamber of Commerce Jerry Springer? Cheesy

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
My new mayor
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2005, 07:10:04 PM »
AH, we discussed this today in class.  No one could remember what town it was, though.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Antibubba

• friend
My new mayor
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 07:20:06 PM »
Why does the town of Rome. Wisconsin suddenly come to mind?  Wink
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

matis

• friend
My new mayor
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 08:58:30 PM »
Oh, now I know where you live, Barbara!

I get a newsletter from the college in your town.

But don't worry, I'm reasonable.  The hush money won't come to much.

Smiley

matis

P.S. If he DOES become mayor, I bet he does real well at it.
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

My new mayor
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 12:02:20 AM »
I'm hard to blackmail since I don't have a lot of secrets, including..well, my name, weight, hometown, etc. Wink

An Imprimis guy, huh? I've got the new one here but haven't had a chance to take a look at it yet.

The Springer thing isn't that funny. It's kind of true. We also appeared on America's Most Wanted and there was a made-for-tv movie about the town once. But all the stuff that doesn't make the national news..whew..

But it's a great place to live over all. Very rural, with the college that brings in speakers and concerts, etc. from all over. The people are ultra conservative in a leave your neighbor the hell alone kind of way. We need more jobs and industry because there aren't any roads that lead directly here so its hard to get to, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Mike will do a good job. I doubt Doug will ask for a recount, because we just don't do that kind of thing here. The job is mostly ceremonial anyway, as day to day operations are handled by a city manager.

SalukiFan

• friend
My new mayor
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 04:27:23 AM »
Quote from: Barbara
A lot of people are writing him off as a novelty, I think, but he did a good job. He knocked on every door in town and answered any questions anyone had..he's also a nice young man and runs cross with my kids.
That is really impressive.  I've always been impressed by candidates who are willing to go door to door and talk to people.  Good for him!

grampster

• friend
My new mayor
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 05:10:25 AM »
Barbara, I've been getting Imprimus for many years.  If I had to do it over again, I'd go to college there.  Must be fun to live where you do, having the ability to
run over the hills and dales.  heh.

SWMBO asked me this morning if he was a Republican or a Democrat.  I told her I didn't think either of those critters lived anywhere thereabouts.  The inhabitants are all American Conservatives.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

garrettwc

• friend
  • Tell me what I want to know and the pain will stop
My new mayor
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 08:05:54 AM »
Hope no offense was taken on my Springer comment. Your line just sounded so soap opera-ish that it came to mind. And don't forget Springer used to be mayor of Cinncinati OH.

doczinn

• friend
My new mayor
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 11:55:29 AM »
An Imprimis guy, huh?
Hey, me too. That'd be my choice of college.
D. R. ZINN

My new mayor
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 03:56:41 PM »
No offense taken on the Spring thing..we have 30,000 people and six last names.

Grampster, you got that absolutely right.

Mike ran as an independent, and that's mostly what people here..the politicians run as Republicans by default but people are just live and let live here.

I just sent in this month's free Imprimis subscription deals out of mine but if anyone else wants one next month, let me know. Usually something interesting in there if you like free-market capitalism.

My new mayor
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2005, 04:12:23 AM »
Ok, weird kind of update on this:

Last night about 10:30 I was reading and I heard a light knock on my front door. Most people use the side door so I knew it wasn't someone I knew.

I asked who it was and it was a woman (it was..it was kind of dark but she looked to be mid-40s), who asked if she could have my Mike Sessions for Mayor sign.

I was kind of surprised and told her she'd better get off my porch.

"Can you at least open the door so I can talk to you?"

"Um, no, and I'm going to call the police in about 2 seconds if you don't carry yourself down the road."

"Well, I just want to tell you we're going to put them on ebay and raise funds for blah, blah, blah."

"Lady, it's 10:30 pm. I don't care what you want. There's no reason for you to be on my porch at this time of night and if you don't get going now its going to get unpleasant. Now, get the hell away from my house."

"Fine!" (apparently annoyed that I was so rude as not to answer my door to a complete stranger at 10:30 at night.)

"And leave the sign alone!"

And off they went.

I bet there was booze involved.

Stand_watie

• friend
My new mayor
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 07:35:38 PM »
Hi Barbara. I've driven through your neck of the woods many times. Beautiful country, especially in the summer when the corn is up. My parents live in west Michigan and I've a bunch of family in Fort Wayne, consequently I've been up and down 69 plenty of times.

My brother-in-law grew up in Coldwater. You know any Sniders?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

My new mayor
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2005, 02:54:33 PM »
Hmm..I don't think so.

My new mayor
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 11:48:18 AM »
Well, he gets sworn in tonight and the town is already crawling with media, so much so that they had to shut down the street uptown. So far he's been on the Today Show, Ellen Degeneres and got flown to New York to do the Top 10 on David Letterman, plus being on the front page of USA Today and in just about every paper in the country.

It's kind of cool that we're getting all this media attention for something other than bizarre deaths, which is our specialty.

grampster

• friend
My new mayor
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 02:42:30 PM »
You've got a ways to go to defeat Newaygo for bizarre deaths.