Author Topic: Renting a suppressor-equipped firearm in MI, OH, or IN?  (Read 8245 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Renting a suppressor-equipped firearm in MI, OH, or IN?
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
Have you talked to a doc about whether firearms are actually dangerous?

I've known pregnant women that have competed in matches.  It's a special sort of humbling to get smoked by a pregnant woman.  Anyway, they all said they checked with the doc first and it was OK.

Good thoughts

First, no freaking way am I mentioning guns to my doctor.  Most docs are anti-gun and most obstetricians are anti-homebirth.  My dr does not yet know that there is no way I'm gonna show up at the hospital to have this kid.  The combination of being a crazy gun-owner plus a crazy home-birther plus well, crazy could easily result in a CPS call.  That is a whole kind of trouble I don't want to deal with.  Also, I generally prefer more detailed research to asking a doctor who may give a good, well-reseached answer, or who may take a guess, sometimes not a particularly good one.

Second, I do know of pregnant women who shoot.  I also know of a pregnant woman (a foaf) who shot a fairly large bear at six months pregnant.  But I also know that loud noises cause hearing loss, that the damage is incremental, and that although fluid and tissue can dampen the sounds, there are many, many variables at play.  Although virtually all babies receive hearing screenings at birth, those do not detect mild or some moderate hearing loss.  After that, it is perfectly possible and likely for in-utero hearing loss to go undetected for years and eventually be attributed to some other cause.  In short, I think that hearing loss is probable with target shooting, although I would be comfortable with just a few shots, as when hunting, and I do not trust anecdotal claims that "I did it and it never hurt my kids".  No disrespect to anyone intended, I am ok with things in pregnancy that many women aren't, but target shooting at normal volumes with normal ammo is not one of them.  I wish it was, but I just can't look at the facts and be comfortable with it.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 10:35:16 PM »
On the SE side theres a gun dealer (class 3) that has a range and I know they own at least one gun with a suppressor, though I have no idea if they rent said guns. Its thefirearmexchange.com Also Target Sports has full auto, so they might also have suppressors to rent (not sure)

Paydirt!  Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

I shall check it out.

Also, Thank you!

ETA: The one in Westland?  (Googled it)  I doubt suppressors are a possiblility there, because as SteveS noted, suppressors are illegal in MI.  I am aware of a LE exception, but I doubt that this would enable commercial rental of suppressors at all.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 10:38:52 PM by BridgeWalker »

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 10:55:45 PM »
Have you talked to a doc about whether firearms are actually dangerous?

You have to know the doctor's politics, first, I think.

MikePGS

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 11:28:21 PM »
Paydirt!  Thankyouthankyouthankyou!

I shall check it out.

Also, Thank you!

ETA: The one in Westland?  (Googled it)  I doubt suppressors are a possiblility there, because as SteveS noted, suppressors are illegal in MI.  I am aware of a LE exception, but I doubt that this would enable commercial rental of suppressors at all.
They have a store in both Westland and Novi, same people as far as I know. I'm not sure if that would allow you to rent a suppressed pistol either, but I know Target Sports rent's full autos to people without a Class 3 license, so I don't know how it would matter any differently if you were renting yet another Class 3 weapon to someone who can't legally possess it outside of the store in question. They seem pretty competent at the Firearm Exchange though, so I'm sure they know a great deal more about such issues than I do. Either way, good luck:D
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 11:32:49 PM »
You have to know the doctor's politics, first, I think.
Well, ok.  I guess.  Never had any problems with that sort of thing around here.

Besides, doctors have heard it all.  Of all the weird, icky, disturbing admissions a doctor hears about, I gotta figure "I shoot guns" is a pretty minor one.

Ryan in Maine

• friend
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 12:28:32 AM »
Alright, we'll get some sound dampening material - like the stuff used in amateur studios - and we'll make you a sound dampening suit and some sound dampening cover to shoot from.
- http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/acoustic-treatment/

On a more serious note, you really might have to take a drive to Indiana. I'd check on those leads that Mike brought up and feel things out from there. Seems like the best idea so far. Indiana is the closest place to you that won't have any suppressor hassles, I think.

The Michigan laws are pretty lame, especially while Summit Gun Broker has a few good deals running right now.
- http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Suppressed_Guns.html
- http://www.summitgunbroker.com/9mm_Suppressors.html

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 06:25:27 AM »

Back to the pellet gun idea.  You can actually get some pretty nice pellet weapons that rival regular firearms in both their fit, finish, accuracy, and mechanisms.  This could be a good compromise if you have space to light one off.  A quality one could also be used for teaching the little ones to shoot  :cool:

I'll second the pellet gun idea. Gamo even makes one with a "sound-reducing device" as well as several pistol-type repeaters. It'll keep your skills sharp, and you can do most of your practice w/o going to a formal range.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MikePGS

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2009, 12:42:50 AM »
I honestly have no idea why suppresors are illegal here. I think the politicians must watch too many movies or something. A buddy and I are brewing something up (gun rights type group) and thats going to be one of the first things on our agenda.
Alright, we'll get some sound dampening material - like the stuff used in amateur studios - and we'll make you a sound dampening suit and some sound dampening cover to shoot from.
- http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/studio/acoustic-treatment/

On a more serious note, you really might have to take a drive to Indiana. I'd check on those leads that Mike brought up and feel things out from there. Seems like the best idea so far. Indiana is the closest place to you that won't have any suppressor hassles, I think.

The Michigan laws are pretty lame, especially while Summit Gun Broker has a few good deals running right now.
- http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Suppressed_Guns.html
- http://www.summitgunbroker.com/9mm_Suppressors.html
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2009, 11:45:24 AM »
Also, I generally prefer more detailed research to asking a doctor who may give a good, well-reseached answer, or who may take a guess, sometimes not a particularly good one.

Yep. Just because they are an MD doesn't mean they know wtf they're talking about.

Also, are you friends with any cops? They are more likely to have both suppressed weapons and a private range to shoot em on.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 12:36:20 PM »
Also, are you friends with any cops? They are more likely to have both suppressed weapons and a private range to shoot em on.

Just one, but he is not big into guns, is retired and a law student now, so I don't kow if he even falls under MI's leo exception to our suppressor ban.  =|  Also, he's from NJ, so he doesn't have any local cop buddies.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 06:41:51 PM »
My wife did a ton of research on this when she was pregnant and even asked her Ob/gyn.  There wasn't a whole lot of good data and she ultimately decided to not shoot, though she was not happy about it. 

First, no freaking way am I mentioning guns to my doctor.  Most docs are anti-gun and most obstetricians are anti-homebirth.

If you want, I'll ask my wife's Ob/gyn this weekend.  We are taking a trip out of town this weekend with her Ob/gyn's family and some of our other friends. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2009, 06:55:32 PM »
  There wasn't a whole lot of good data and she ultimately decided to not shoot, though she was not happy about it. 

Yeah, same here.

If you want, I'll ask my wife's Ob/gyn this weekend.  We are taking a trip out of town this weekend with her Ob/gyn's family and some of our other friends. 

No thanks.  One person's opinion wouldn't change my concerns, even if they have an MD.  I appreciate the offer though.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2009, 11:09:52 PM »
I've rented MG's from a Class III SOT in MI before in Grand Rapids.  They had some supressed weapons there too.  Sheridan Arms is their name.  Website here:  http://www.sheridanarms.com/

You could call 'em up and see if they're doing any outdoor events.  Gun folk are good folk, they might be able to clear the line for you and let you rip with some suppressed weapons while the others waited.

As already noted pistol caliber carbines (at least the 9mm and .357 one) are fracking loud.  A lightly loaded .38 spl in a nice long barrel might not be too bad.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 08:53:29 AM »
http://www.portcitypistol.com in muskegon rents class 3 (nice selection, too) at their indoor range.   
I haven't noticed any supressors on the rack, but they are very nice people and would love to answer any questions.
7-11 was a part time job.