Author Topic: Renting a suppressor-equipped firearm in MI, OH, or IN?  (Read 8298 times)

BridgeRunner

• friend
Renting a suppressor-equipped firearm in MI, OH, or IN?
« on: January 03, 2009, 04:58:11 PM »
I may have to head on over the THR.us for this one, but figured I'd try here first.

As you all probably know by now, I'm pregnant.  This pretty much sucks for the whole shooting hobby.  I haven't fired a gun in a couple of months and I miss it a whole lot.  My main concern is the noise factor.  I've read lots of conflicting information about safe noise levels for fetuses, and I'm just not comfortable with the lack of consensus on whether or not it is safe.

I figure any kid of mine is fairly likely to end up being a shooter, and therefore definitely doesn't need a head start on hearing loss.
I think it'd be ok with a suppressor.  I haven't done a whole lot of research on suppressors, mostly because they are both expensive to obtain and illegal in MI except for law enforcement.  It is however, my understanding that the quietest calibers when suppressed are .22 and .45ACP.  I'm not a huge fan of rimfire shooting.  For me, that's the work part of shooting, not so much the fun part.

I would dearly love to spend an afternoon at a range somewhere shooting, probably not right now, but in early Spring.  Can't do anything about missing out on trap, and can't shoot much, but anyone know of a place within a several hours' drive of mid-Michigan that rents such firearms?  Comments on the noise level of suppressed pistols?

It'd have to be outdoors,  btw, to minimize lead exposure and noise from other lanes. 

Any comments or ideas? (Other than "Hey, just sit at home and enjoy being knocked up and unable to do many of the things you love, it's not that important anyway.  That would not be helpful.  I can get that from my ob/gyn.)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Renting a suppressor-equipped firearm in MI, OH, or IN?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:02:35 PM »
Are you expecting nobody else to be on the range?

Even if you're firing suppressed, the guy in the next lane could be firing a .500 S&W, a PLR-16, or anything with an obnoxious brake that sends a thumping concussion through you. So it wouldn't do you much good.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 05:06:41 PM »
Are you expecting nobody else to be on the range?

Even if you're firing suppressed, the guy in the next lane could be firing a .500 S&W, a PLR-16, or anything with an obnoxious brake that sends a thumping concussion through you. So it wouldn't do you much good.

Yep.  That is one problem.  I have limited experience with ranges.  I know there are such things as outdoor rental ranges, but I don't know how they are set up.  At my range, I'm usually alone or with a couple really cool guys who let me shoot their SIGs. 

I would hate to drive five or six hours only to discover that it's impossible for me to safely be on the firing line.  Depending on the place, they might be amenable to making arrangements ahead of time for me to come in right at opening, or I could attempt to go at a low-traffic time.  Noise does dissipate pretty quickly outdoors.  Indoors is just out of the question.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:08:28 PM »
Another issue is lead dust.  Its a non issue for a person, but I'd be really hesitant to take a pregnant babe to the range....nothing like jacking your first kid up out of the blocks with lead poisioning.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 06:29:58 PM »
Another issue is lead dust.  Its a non issue for a person, but I'd be really hesitant to take a pregnant babe to the range....nothing like jacking your first kid up out of the blocks with lead poisioning.

Too late for the first kid.  Also, I hope to God that was a typo, because I am pretty sure that a "pregnant babe" is still a person. 

I'm not convinced there's any appreciable danger from lead at an outdoor range with proper precautions.  Because of the child-bearing/nursing thing, I also have my lead levels tested regularly.  No problems. 

Gentlemen, if you will read my OP, you will note that I have addressed the noise and the lead concerns as best I can without knowledge of a specific range setup.  You will also note that I posted this thread asking for two very specific things: ideas about specific ranges and noise levels of suppressed firearms.   

I also specifically stated that I am not looking for comments on other reasons why you may disapprove.  Sure, you can be of the opinion that pregnant women should sit at home and knit for ten months, because it's "better to be safe than sorry", another way of saying "Honey, you don't matter anymore.  You're just a walking uterus at this point" (which Jamis stated explicitly.  Again, hoping to God that was a typo.)  I'm just gonna ignore you.  And be annoyed that when you didn't have useful information to add, you decided to contribute anyway, in a way I *specifically* stated I was hoping to avoid. 

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 06:46:16 PM »
Suppressors are illegal in MI, unfortunately. 

What about Super Colibri?  I don't know the noise level, but they are pretty quiet.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=AU1B222339&src=sim
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2009, 06:58:53 PM »
Suppressors are illegal in MI, unfortunately. 

What about Super Colibri?  I don't know the noise level, but they are pretty quiet.

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=AU1B222339&src=sim

Yeah, I know they are.  it frustrates the heck out of me that they are ludicrously close to being legal but aren't.  I just stuck MI in there in case anyone was aware of any exceptions that I don't know about.

I have thought about using something like those.  The only problem there is I have sold both my .22 pistols, and my .22 rifle is both jam-prone and not really the kind of shooting I want to do.  I may resort to that if I can't find something more satisfying.  Can you recommend an outdoor MI range that rents guns though?  I don't know of any, myself, just lots of indoor places.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:42:15 PM »
The concept itself is sound: suppressed pistol, outdoor range, etc.  If you can manage to get all the circumstances to align, I say get yourself some therapeutic range time.  Maybe start a new trend.  I think shooting bowling pins would be apt. 

I have handled some suppressed pistols & sub-guns that were safe to fire without ear protection, the .22LR beasties could be fired indoors without a problem.  As for lead exposure, common sense precautions render it a non-issue.

Heck, a buddy of mine who used to work at an indoor range & owned some suppressed weapons stayed open late so I could shoot them without earpro.  He would have giggled his dangfool head off if he could have given such an opportunity to a pregnant lady who needed some lead therapy.  Now, this was North Little Rock, Arkansas, but I would hope some Yankee range rat could extend a similar courtesy to a lady in need.

Can't help you down here in Texas, but you make me want to buy a suppressed weapon or four (.22LR pistol & rifle, centerfire pistol & rifle).  Its for the children ladies.

Send a few downrange for me if the opportunity arises.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2009, 08:56:08 PM »
I have thought about using something like those.  The only problem there is I have sold both my .22 pistols, and my .22 rifle is both jam-prone and not really the kind of shooting I want to do.  I may resort to that if I can't find something more satisfying.  Can you recommend an outdoor MI range that rents guns though?  I don't know of any, myself, just lots of indoor places.

Unfortunately, the only place I know in my area that rents is indoors (Total Firearms).  I'd loan you one of mine, but Colibri won't cycle a semi-auto and that is the only .22 pistol I own. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 09:04:16 PM »
Hey, I didn't realize we were in the same area.  I'd just assumed you were from Detroit.  Silly assumption to make, I guess. 

Yes, the limitations of the Cplibri stuff are many.  I am not a revolver person at all.  Just don't enjoy them.  If I did, I'd just buy a cheap one.  Actually, I already did that, and sold it almost immediately.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 10:11:07 PM »
I don't know of any rental ranges.  I have no idea how to help you there other than to ask around at all the local dealers. 

You might try a single shot or bolt action 22 or maybe a 17 HMR if you can get access to one.  I have a savage 70G that is single shot and my Dad has a bolt action 17 HMR and both are pretty quiet by comparrison.  The 17 HMR does have a pretty good crack of the round heading down range.  The lack of the action opening up to eject normally quiets those rounds down a bit.  Also, subsonic and "normal velocity" rounds might be a bit quieter than the typical high velocity 22LR.  I found a brick of subsonic at a gun shop in Houston a few months ago.  My past experience with subsonic is that is was noticeable quieter, but still loud.  Anyway, those two type rifles are not near as loud as the typical pistol or semi-auto rifle. 
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:16:25 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2009, 11:00:19 PM »
Air rifle/pistol and a telephone book...anywhere,anytime.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2009, 11:11:56 PM »

It's an idea. 

Just a totally unappealing one.   :laugh:

Thanks for the idea though.  Actually my husband has some air-soft pistols, I might give those a try. 

I'm just a bit of a recoil nut.  I don't even *really* enjoy shooting .22. 

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 11:15:29 PM »
Heck, a buddy of mine who used to work at an indoor range & owned some suppressed weapons stayed open late so I could shoot them without earpro.  He would have giggled his dangfool head off if he could have given such an opportunity to a pregnant lady who needed some lead therapy.  Now, this was North Little Rock, Arkansas, but I would hope some Yankee range rat could extend a similar courtesy to a lady in need.

Heck, I get desperate enough I just might want to take a ride down that way.  Come to think of it, I've got a former classmate in Little Rock...  =D

Thanks for the comments on noise level.  That sounds pretty good.  If I could find a sympathetic indoor range with a decent ventilation system, I might even go for that.  I  guess I got turned off of the safety of indoor ranges, especially for someone like me, when I did my CPL class at a range that allowed cast bullets.  The air was thick and grey and very, very toxic.  Once was more than enough of that.... =|

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 08:54:26 AM »
I wasn't trying to be a tool or patronizing.  Maybe I'm a chauvanist, un-enlightened neandathral....but I am super protective of children and expectant mothers. 

I like that idea.   There are some surprisingly good air guns to be had, too.
I've shot the Ma Deuce, Mk 19, M60, SAW, M203, MP5, UZI, as well as a number of everyday rifles, shotguns, and pistols.  (By no means am I the most experienced shooter in the world)  And yet I still giggle and laugh like a 10 year old when it comes to shooting a decent bb gun.  And that is something you can light off in your basement (BTDT).
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 12:38:55 PM »
I wasn't trying to be a tool or patronizing.  Maybe I'm a chauvanist, un-enlightened neandathral....but I am super protective of children and expectant mothers. 

You show almost no signs of neanderthalishness.  Excessive and sometimes inappropriate levels of concern for pregnant chicks has little, ime, to do with sex.  In fact, I would never post this kind of thread on a mommy board, mostly because few there would have the knowledge I'm looking. Partly because too many people there would have irritating responses like, well, yours.

I'm delighted that you are protective of kids and of pregnant chicks. Obviously your wife finds that delightful, and I'm very happy for the two of you.

But that is expressly not what this thread is about. I have considered and accounted for all relevant credible risks, and I stated that. I asked for some specific info.  I've gotten some.  I hope to get some more.  I did not ask for advice on safe activities during pregnancy because I have other, better sources for that information. I also have a personal approach to life in which alarmism plays no part whatsoever. IMHO, it ain't worth it, and life is too short.  This is another reason why I specifically did not ask for pregnancy safety advice.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 01:39:45 PM by BridgeWalker »

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »

I like that idea.   There are some surprisingly good air guns to be had, too.
I've shot the Ma Deuce, Mk 19, M60, SAW, M203, MP5, UZI, as well as a number of everyday rifles, shotguns, and pistols.  (By no means am I the most experienced shooter in the world)  And yet I still giggle and laugh like a 10 year old when it comes to shooting a decent bb gun.  And that is something you can light off in your basement (BTDT).

I admittedly have fun with an old Crosman pistol (I've got both a Mk I and Mk II) because it is so accurate, but I still think the biggest grin I'd ever had with a gun was lying prone, blasting with a 1918 BAR in 30-06, sending bowling pins flying and tearing up a whole lot of dirt. Several entire boxes of Korean surplus tracked across the target in seconds in a sweep, with the most wonderfully deep sound...

The problem is that full-auto is addicting, and now I'm eying a local shop's $7900 Andrewski-built Sterling with the most flawless powder-coated finish I've ever seen on a gun, in the original crackle style. Even the welds are surgeon-precise, and those are so much fun, those...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 02:02:40 PM by Manedwolf »

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 03:38:04 PM »

But that is expressly not what this thread is about. I have considered and accounted for all relevant credible risks, and I stated that. I asked for some specific info.  I've gotten some.  I hope to get some more.  I did not ask for advice on safe activities during pregnancy because I have other, better sources for that information. I also have a personal approach to life in which alarmism plays no part whatsoever. IMHO, it ain't worth it, and life is too short.  This is another reason why I specifically did not ask for pregnancy safety advice.

True, and I'm sorry.  I read but didn't really fully read your op.

Skipping all the rest of it

Back to the pellet gun idea.  You can actually get some pretty nice pellet weapons that rival regular firearms in both their fit, finish, accuracy, and mechanisms.  This could be a good compromise if you have space to light one off.  A quality one could also be used for teaching the little ones to shoot  :cool:
JD

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 06:38:14 PM »
Maybe a pistol caliber carbine?

They're pretty quiet, at least as compared to full centerfire rifle calibers, or revolvers with the cylinder gap. And the rifle-length barrel gets the report away from the shooter a bit more too. Heavy bullet weights, despite the low velocity, gives significant recoil sensation to Bridgewalker, at least much better than .22LR or an airgun.

Before making a long range trip to try a suppressor, I'd just try a magazine from a Hi-Point 9mm carbine or something similar on an empty range day, and see if it bothers the baby.

I promise not to duck.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 06:44:46 PM »
Maybe a pistol caliber carbine?

They're pretty quiet, at least as compared to full centerfire rifle calibers, or revolvers with the cylinder gap. And the rifle-length barrel gets the report away from the shooter a bit more too. Heavy bullet weights, despite the low velocity, gives significant recoil sensation to Bridgewalker, at least much better than .22LR or an airgun.

Before making a long range trip to try a suppressor, I'd just try a magazine from a Hi-Point 9mm carbine or something similar on an empty range day, and see if it bothers the baby.

Uh? My Sub 2000 is NOT quiet. It's still a supersonic round, and even faster out of that long barrel. Quite a bang from that, definitely could be heard through liquid.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 07:01:53 PM »
The problem with trying a quieter carbine or caliber or such is that I wouldn't know if any damage is being caused.  I'm sure we all know of people who have hearing loss who never experienced severe enough discomfort from loud noises to bother with hearing protection.  A baby in utero, moreover, doesn't give very reliable feedback about that kind of thing. 

txgho1911

• friends
  • sedition hammer
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 08:48:29 PM »
Sure go ahead and post this thread on a mommy board and you may/would experience what some would call an intervention. Panicked calls to CPS type agencies all over the country to report what they think is bad maternal behavior. Could be fun to watch.
socialnewswatchDOTcom instead of Drudge

Lee

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 08:55:26 PM »
Sometimes when I get a case of the winter crazies, I shoot my Crosman revolver (Colt SA style) in the basement.  You'd be surprised how loud it sounds at midnight when the family is asleep.  Recoil?  Slap yourself in the face with the front sight and pretend it's a .454 Casull.  :laugh:

MikePGS

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 08:58:08 PM »
On the SE side theres a gun dealer (class 3) that has a range and I know they own at least one gun with a suppressor, though I have no idea if they rent said guns. Its thefirearmexchange.com Also Target Sports has full auto, so they might also have suppressors to rent (not sure)
"The people in the gun culture have a better safety record than any police department in the nation, but in
several states actually prohibit us from using guns for self-protection, and in all the other states except one
they make us buy a license. They tax us so we can have more cops, and when crime still goes up, they tax
us more and ban more of our guns."
John Ross, Unintended Consequences

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 09:11:57 PM »
Have you talked to a doc about whether firearms are actually dangerous?

I've known pregnant women that have competed in matches.  It's a special sort of humbling to get smoked by a pregnant woman.  Anyway, they all said they checked with the doc first and it was OK.