Author Topic: Garage Beer  (Read 1638 times)

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
Re: Garage Beer
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2022, 03:33:31 AM »
2 words: Schaefer Light
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2022, 07:18:45 AM »
I was wondering if anyone remembers that plain white generic beer can back in the day back in #15
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2022, 08:14:36 AM »
I was wondering if anyone remembers that plain white generic beer can back in the day back in #15

Yep, I remember seeing it, along with generic cigarettes.

I really liked the boxes of generic mac and cheese and scalloped potatoes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2022, 08:44:48 AM »
A couple of the local microbrews are going to the white can thing as a shtick. You can buy a six pack of white cans that just say "pub beer".
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2022, 08:51:01 AM »
My "cheap" beer today is Yuengling - $19.99/case of 24 bottles at Wally Mart. I don't recall seeing Hamm's locally.

This self-admitted beer snob finds Yuengling to be a surprisingly good lager.  I drink it all the time.  They make a good black and tan, as well.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2022, 12:55:37 PM »
This self-admitted beer snob finds Yuengling to be a surprisingly good lager.  I drink it all the time.  They make a good black and tan, as well.
I like Yuengling. It just came to TX in the last year or two, but varieties are limited to Lager, Golden pilsner, some "light" beer, and most recently Oktoberfest. Usually I like the seasonal Oktoberfest beers so maybe I was expecting too much, but Yuengling's was only "OK" ( ;)) and not really worth buying again instead of the lager.

Hoping to see their Black & Tan eventually since I tend to like dark beers like Shiner's Bohemian Black Lager.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2022, 01:04:10 PM »
I like Yuengling and I buy it when I'm in Texas.  It's not available in MN yet.

BTW, try adding a shot of Campari, a squeeze of lemon, and maybe an ice cube to a 12 oz cheap beer (like Busch Ice, Natty Ice, or Hamm's)  It changes to to something similar to an Aperol Spritz but less girly. It's good at the end of a hot day.  Too strong to drink while you're mowing, especially if you use "ice" beer.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2022, 01:14:33 PM »

I pick some up at Sam's from time to time.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2022, 01:15:28 PM »
I absolutely can't stand Yuengling.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2022, 01:36:11 PM »

- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2022, 02:12:25 PM »

As has been said, there's no accounting for taste.   ;)
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2022, 04:22:29 PM »
I just bought a 30-pack of Hamms for $17 plus tax.  Natty and Busch were more expensive but I don't remember how much

Natty is $18.48 / 30 pack at Walmart here (it just went up everywhere locally)  I used to usually get it at the corner party store on the edge of my neighborhood out of convenience. It was $2 more per case there, but now it's almost $6 more, so I find myself stopping at Walmart more often now; it's a half mile from where I work.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2022, 05:00:12 PM »
Let me guess - your favorites are Schlitz and Old Milwaukee.

And you really miss Billy Beer.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2022, 05:10:21 PM »
Let me guess - your favorites are Schlitz and Old Milwaukee.

And you really miss Billy Beer.

I grew up less than 50 miles from Yuengling brewery when it, and Rolling Rock both, were considered low-rent local beers, good to buy if you didn't have much money and needed change back.

Neither one of those is all that special but for one thing, and it's not their recipe...

It's the marketing campaigns that turned them into hip, trendy, accessories for the up and coming man bun crowd.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2022, 05:35:47 PM »
Oh, another reason I like many of the "lawnmower beers" is that besides tasting just fine, they are a low ABV. I am getting sick and tired of all the craft brewers big and small trying to see how high of an ABV beer they can make.

If I want a high alcohol content, I'll grab the whiskey bottle. If I want something refreshing on a hot Summer day, I'd like to not have one bottle of it put me on my ass.

I, for one, love a high ABV stout. Alesmith's Speedway Stout (12% ABV) is my pretty-much-every-day choice. However, it's my only daily drink. My stomach can't tolerate any more than that any more. I also can't tolerate hard alcohol in any form or quantity any more, even as a mixer. 21-year-old me would weep.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2022, 05:49:22 PM »
I, for one, love a high ABV stout. Alesmith's Speedway Stout (12% ABV) is my pretty-much-every-day choice. However, it's my only daily drink. My stomach can't tolerate any more than that any more. I also can't tolerate hard alcohol in any form or quantity any more, even as a mixer. 21-year-old me would weep.

I love a good stout, but I'm generally done with one or I get loopy.  :laugh:

I love milk stout, but it is incredibly hard to find around here.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2022, 08:17:31 PM »
There are probably a dozen GOOD micros within a five mile radius of my hooptie haus...

I like good beers for some occasions... And I'll pick something depending on which pub I'm in too... One place actually stocked Natty Light for me - it's a damn fine diet beer, and I prefer it to the other low carb offerings.

I don't like green-bottle Yuengling. The black and tan, however, rocks.
Blog under construction

JTHunter

• friends
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2022, 11:11:48 PM »
Have any of you ever tried the "ice" beers?  The only name I can remember now is Keyestone Ice as it has been 2-3 years since I have bought any beer (I prefer wines).
“I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted.  The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2022, 11:17:19 PM »
Have any of you ever tried the "ice" beers?  The only name I can remember now is Keyestone Ice as it has been 2-3 years since I have bought any beer (I prefer wines).

Yes, I buy it sometimes.  It's just a more alcoholic version (5.5 to 5.9%) of their regular beer.  It's not particularly good, but it's not bad either.
"It's good, though..."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2022, 11:23:00 PM »
Dos Equis is my beer of choice. Cost effective, good taste, widely available and you get a big honking ice cold two pint mug at the Mexican restaurants for $5. Sometimes in Mexico you can get it for a dollar a bottle.

I don’t like the microbrews and such because to me a lot of them taste overly bitter almost soap like

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2022, 06:49:56 AM »
Dos Equis is my beer of choice. Cost effective, good taste, widely available and you get a big honking ice cold two pint mug at the Mexican restaurants for $5. Sometimes in Mexico you can get it for a dollar a bottle.

I don’t like the microbrews and such because to me a lot of them taste overly bitter almost soap like

https://babylonbee.com/news/popular-new-craft-ipa-just-bottle-of-pine-sol
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2022, 07:30:09 AM »
There was a huge IPA fad, which turned a lot of folks off of micros... You don't need ALL the hops...
Blog under construction

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2022, 07:36:39 AM »
There was a huge IPA fad, which turned a lot of folks off of micros... You don't need ALL the hops...

I know there are guys here that like hoppy beers, and they have educated me in the past that hoppy doesn't always mean bitter, but I have not yet found a microbrew that was +hoppy and -bitter.

I hate hops. I despise hops. Not just because of the super duper quadruple hoppy IPAs all the Portland and Seattle microbreweries are putting out, but because these jackasses are all moving to my part of Idaho with their millions of dollars, starting new microbreweries in Boise, and are buying and converting pasture and row crop land to hops fields. We have hops fields coming out of our ears here, and they're destroying wildlife habitat. You can't throw a rock without hitting a hops field. I hate hops.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2022, 08:20:28 AM »
Beer snob that I am, I like a good IPA.  In fact, I haven't had too many that I didn't like.  Probably because they match my personality.   :mad:

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2022, 08:28:57 AM »
I, also, am not a huge fan of hoppy beers. A bit, fine, but when it gets to talking about kilos of hops per quart of beer.... nah.

There's one that a friend of mine turned me on to a couple of years ago -- Dogfish Head Sea Quench. It's a sour beer, quite tart, and in the summer, exceptionally refreshing.