Author Topic: Man Saves Own Life, Uses Steak Knife for At-Home Tracheotomy  (Read 6657 times)

wmenorr67

• friend
OMAHA, Neb.   An Omaha man struggling to breath used a steak knife to perform an at-home tracheotomy.

Steve Wilder says he thought he was going to die when he awoke one night last week and couldn't breath.

Wilder says he didn't call 911 because he didn't think help would arrive in time. So, the 55-year-old says, he got a steak knife from the kitchen and made a small hole in his throat, allowing air to gush in.

Wilder suffered from throat cancer and related breathing problems several years ago. About that time, he had an episode where he couldn't breath because his air passages swelled shut. He says that's what happened this time around.

Doctors don't expect Wilder to suffer any adverse affects from the tracheotomy once it's healed.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,354655,00.html

Reminds me of the MASH episode where Father Mc, I believe, had to perform one.

There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

LAK

• friend
Re: Man Saves Own Life, Uses Steak Knife for At-Home Tracheotomy
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:26:46 PM »
Funny; I can just see this guy in a restaurant. When he starts fidgeting, picks up his steak knife and tries to "turn it on himself", a couple of quick thinking good intented folk spring on this apparently poor suicidal soul and grab the knife and in the ensuing struggle he of course passes out from the original cause of his problem blocking his windpipe.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 12:53:43 AM »
I salute another hardcore do-it-yourself-er.  cool
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Dntsycnt

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 06:27:18 AM »
Man, that's crazy...how do you do a tracheotomy?  Just aim below the adams apple and stab?

I woke up one morning in sixth grade with my face/head swollen so much I could just barely breath...I mean it felt like suffocating.  I staggered down the stairs and my mom freaked out and zipped me in to the ER, where they injected me with something or other and the swelling went down.  I don't think anything has ever scared me more, except perhaps the upcoming election.

Who wins in a fight between this guy and the dude who cut his own arm off?

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 06:35:14 AM »
Good question.

Both are nuts....I'd think the arm guy....took longer to do....
One day at a time.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 06:57:14 AM »
I salute another hardcore do-it-yourself-er.  cool

I always kid around about removing my own appendix but, this guy is for real. shocked
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 07:05:52 AM »
Good question.

With a dull swiss army knife.  He had to break the bone with a rock.  Hands down winner.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Josh Aston

• Future President of Texas
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
Man, that's crazy...how do you do a tracheotomy?  Just aim below the adams apple and stab?

On your throat plate thingy (I forget the technical name for it) there's a hole between your adam's apple and the base of the plate.  Cut a hole through there into the throat, stick in a tube (we used NPAs), then safety pin the tube to the skin so it doesn't move around too much.
I'm from Texas, what country are you from?

Aston for POTUS Republic of Texas - 2016

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 01:29:55 PM »

Who wins in a fight between this guy and the dude who cut his own arm off?

Well, if you're talking an actual fight...the tracheotomy guy wins. He still has two arms. It's a lot harder to fight with just one arm.

I think the guy who cut his own arm off is tougher, though.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 01:34:31 PM »

On your throat plate thingy (I forget the technical name for it) there's a hole between your adam's apple and the base of the plate.  Cut a hole through there into the throat, stick in a tube (we used NPAs), then safety pin the tube to the skin so it doesn't move around too much.

If I just had the nerve to try that, I would do it (and do it poorly) just so I could sue you for millions of dollars.   laugh
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Josh Aston

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 03:23:33 PM »

If I just had the nerve to try that, I would do it (and do it poorly) just so I could sue you for millions of dollars.   laugh

not my fault if you screw it up.  angel

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
I'd have gone for the paring knife myself.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »
Good question.

With a dull swiss army knife.  He had to break the bone with a rock.  Hands down winner.
IIRC, it wasn't even a SWISS army knife...more like a chinese knockoff, with the blade probably made of a zinc-elephant dung alloy...

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 04:54:06 PM »
IIRC, it wasn't even a SWISS army knife...more like a chinese knockoff, with the blade probably made of a zinc-elephant dung alloy...

Marketing proposal: Buy a good knife for more efficient auto-amputations.

I vote for the trach guy.  The amputation guy should not have been out alone in a remote area with no one to check on him if he didn't show up.  I guess one may choose to assume that kind of risk, and I've also enjoyed the exhiliration of solo backpacking, but it's still not a great practice in very remote or hazardous areas.

The trach guy doesn't lose any points for stupid, but gains a few for super-quick thinking while oxygen deprived.

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »

Marketing proposal: Buy a good knife for more efficient auto-amputations.

I vote for the trach guy.  The amputation guy should not have been out alone in a remote area with no one to check on him if he didn't show up.  I guess one may choose to assume that kind of risk, and I've also enjoyed the exhiliration of solo backpacking, but it's still not a great practice in very remote or hazardous areas.

The trach guy doesn't lose any points for stupid, but gains a few for super-quick thinking while oxygen deprived.
Last sentence is so true. I'd probably just panic and die, feeling incredibly silly.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
Last sentence is so true. I'd probably just panic and die, feeling incredibly silly.

I showed up in the ER very mildly oxygen deprived a couple weeks ago.  Triage asked me why I was there.  "Uh, I <gasp> dunno...I <gasp> kinda have a <gasp cough> cold and,uh <gasp> I don't feel good.

Yeah, once I got some oxygen I got teased considerably.  Lack of oxygen is a fast route to stupid for me. 

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 05:42:16 PM »
arm due wins

In the spirit of do it yourself surgery though...

I once got a sliver of (some hard food I can pronounce but not spell) which slid down the inner side of a tooth and completely into my gum.  It was to deep to tweezers, pushing had nothing.  Getting it out was fun...digging into your gum with a pocket knife doesn't hurt as bad as one would expect really.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 05:50:53 PM »
In the spirit of do it yourself surgery though...

I dunno, if we're gonna start talking about do it yourself surgery, I was, in my muddled youth, a pretty intense self-injurer.

Effective but pretty bizarre and unhealthy way to pick up some good first aid skills.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 08:10:12 PM »
Until I hear of a DIY vasectomy then these two guys are not that tough.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Josh Aston

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 08:13:51 PM »
Until I hear of a DIY vasectomy then these two guys are not that tough.

This close enough?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2008, 08:25:31 PM »
OUCH.  Ok he wins.

SomeKid

« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2008, 08:36:30 PM »
The cynic inside me wonders if the local physicians will ask the DA to press charges against the man.

Of course, a lawyer might sue him before that happens.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2008, 08:53:52 PM »
But the guy with the tracheotomy would very likely get winded a LOT earlier than the guy with one arm. Once that happens, the one-armed hiker could dance circles around him and pummel him.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SomeKid

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »
But the guy with the tracheotomy would very likely get winded a LOT earlier than the guy with one arm. Once that happens, the one-armed hiker could dance circles around him and pummel him.

Trachs increase O2 access to the lungs. Sorry Mike, the guy with the Trach would likely last longer.

Josh Aston

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2008, 08:57:21 PM »
But the castration dude could take one hell of a kick between the legs.