Author Topic: Wow.... 25th high school class reunion coming up next month...  (Read 12167 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Hard to believe it's been 25 years.

What's not hard to believe is that I'm not going to this one, either.   laugh

90% of the people in my class were tools of the highest order.

I still see a number of my friends from that class, and that's enough of a reunion for me.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Re: Wow.... 25th high school class reunion coming up next month...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 07:22:49 AM »
My tenth is coming up. 

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:25:30 AM »
My 20th was back in '06 and I missed it due to deployment.  I had planned on going since I haven't seen a lot of the people I graduated with in about 15 years or so.  We were a close class of 125 or so and would consider most a friend and would help in most situations if I could.

At the rate deployments happen the bad thing is there is a good chance I will not be able to go to my 25th in 2011.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 07:28:50 AM »
you're old.. 

I had my 15th year reunion last summer.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 07:36:00 AM »
Young whippersnappers . . . my 30th is coming up this year.

I've kept up with a few friends from back then . . . the rest of my graduating class (470, if I remember correctly . . . started with 630 in Freshman year) is pretty much irrelevant as far as I'm concerned.

Besides, I have little desire to spend any time up in Daleyville on the Lake . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:40:06 AM »
Young whippersnappers.  Try 40th.  Couldn't stand 'em then either.

Paragon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 07:50:44 AM »
My 5th is tomorrow!   grin  I'm not going to it though, I'm picking up a 1911 instead.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 07:56:22 AM »
IIRC there were about 165 in my high school graduating class, almost exactly split between men and women.

Of the women in the class, roughly 25 percent, at the time of graduation, were either:

-- Already mothers

-- Pregnant

-- Had an abortion

-- Would become pregnant within a year of graduating.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 08:11:49 AM »
My 10th would have been a couple years ago.  'Course I went to 3 high schools (near Philly, Christchurch, and Eugene) so I don't see much point in keeping up with folks from all of them.  In fact, there's only 1 from Philly and 1 from Eugene that keep in touch with at all.  The former is an ex-girlfriend who wound up marrying the guy she dumped me for.  We're all friends though.  The latter is my wife.  I kept in touch for a while a guy from the school in NZ, but he dropped off the face of the planet several years ago.
Formerly sumpnz

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 08:14:02 AM »
I so wanted to rag Irwin on his count of mothers and mothers-to-be in his graduating class.
I really wanted to get a dig in there about how he may have contributed to the numbers.
But I restrained myself.   laugh

Oh, and I missed my 20th and 30th.  The tenth was okay.  No regrets.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 08:23:28 AM »
No, unlike many of the graduates in my class, I actually had plans after high school that DIDN'T involve immediately getting married to the girl I was banging senior year, moving into a crappy little walk up apartment, and getting a low-paying job driving a truck to support the ever growing brood of mildly functionally impaired children.

Well, to be fair, the vast majority of my classmates probably didn't share those plans either.

But holy hell that's how a lot of them turned out.

You know, it's really weird.

I look at my Mom and Dad. They graduated in the same high school class in 1953, in an area that is VERY similar socially and economically to where I grew up and graduated.

By and large their class was, and continues to be, EXTREMELY close. Dad was very much looking forward to his 55th reunion this year, but unfortunately he died.

Me, on the other hand? I look at most of my classmates with perhaps not contempt, but certainly disdain.  Every reunion that has come up I claim that I'm going to be on vacation that week or that I simply won't be able to make it.

I see the people I want to see from that class, the people who mattered to me.

Over July 4th weekend my friend Dave and his wife and son came down for the fireworks. He and I graduated together; in fact he's my oldest friend. We've known each other for 40 of our 43 years.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 08:34:15 AM »
My Dad's the same way, Mike.  He has several close friends from both high school and his hitch in the Air Force.  I don't know that he kept in touch with any from college (except Mom  laugh ).  He actually attended two different colleges on the GI Bill, IIRC, before getting his Bachelor's.

On the other hand, I've lost track of many of my friends from high school and the service.  I've none remaining from college.  I have moved around a lot in my working career, and have retained several friends acquired along the way.
I wonder if it is a generational thing?  Ummm...probably not so much.  But I'm not sure what the influences are.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 08:36:01 AM »
My class never had a 10th or 15th reunion- noone in my class was ever organized or cared enough to pull something like that off.

Called my grandmother on her birthday the other night, She said they had their 62 year reunion last week (Her class has one every year for the last decade)
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 08:36:42 AM »
My 25th is in '11.  Should prove interesting.  

My class was huge.  A grand total of 26.  grin

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2008, 08:48:17 AM »
My 30th high school reunion is next month.  For whatever reason, I have not felt a pressing need to attend any high school or college reunions.  Perhaps it is because I am not in contact with any former classmates and both my high school and college were enormous.  I am still in the Puget Sound area but have not crossed paths with anyone after finishing school.  Perhaps I would feel differently if I had attended smaller schools and still lived in the same town.

PS: Now that I ponder it, I don't think I have ever heard of any reunion at the UW.  I just asked Ms. MillCreek, and she had not heard of any reunions from WSU.  Maybe the mega research schools with 40,000 students don't do reunions, or if they do, it is by a particular department. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 08:53:55 AM »
My high school was in the Puget Sound area, MillCreek.  Where did you attend?  Or play hooky from?   laugh

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »
Of the women in the class, roughly 25 percent, at the time of graduation, were either:

-- Already mothers

-- Pregnant

-- Had an abortion

-- Would become pregnant within a year of graduating.

Wow I didn't know we went to the same highschool. Smiley

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2008, 09:02:35 AM »
'05 was my 30th. Man, did them people get OLD!  laugh
Avoid cliches like the plague!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2008, 09:38:38 AM »
I guess my tenth was last year.  Wasn't really paying attention.  Sure wasn't invited to any reunions.  No formal reunions for my school anyway.  For one thing, probably half the class (of 20) lives in Jerusalem now, and most of the other half on the east coast somewhere. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2008, 09:43:08 AM »
My high school was in the Puget Sound area, MillCreek.  Where did you attend?  Or play hooky from?   laugh

Renton!  The Unsynchronized Traffic Light Capital of the Universe!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Umber

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2008, 09:45:37 AM »

Next year will be my 44th.  A lot of the people not only got OLD, they got DEAD.

I have a good friend whose mom keeps up with the obits in our home town newspaper so that my friend and I don't fall behind on our tally of who has croaked and who is still breathng.

Luckily for me, I'm just too damned powerful and handsome to depart this world just yet... or so says Mrs. Umber, anyway. laugh

Umber angel

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2008, 10:48:47 AM »
15th went by this year. 101 people in my class, wifey was #1, I was #51.  laugh We have contact with one other person from the class.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2008, 11:06:14 AM »

When I went to our (unofficial) 30th back in '02, that's what I told my classmates. "Damn, you guys are old!"

Made it to 36 years! I feel as though I can make my 40th reunion (if we have one).

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »
My 25th was 10 years ago.

Football jock walks in.  Totally bald on top, remaining hair is grey.  At 43 he looks OLD.  He's a wrestling coach some where.  Walks in with a 23 year old trophy wife.  I say to the ladies I'm around "I don't think she was in our class."

35th is coming up, RSN.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2008, 11:28:01 AM »
Yea, one of my friends showed up at our 30th with a 23 yo wife and a newborn.  I'm just glad it ain't me! cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!