Author Topic: Bad radio ads  (Read 11523 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: Bad radio ads
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2009, 08:26:25 AM »
What film could possibly be so scrumtrelescent, so magnificent, so towering in cinematic stature that you would subject yourself to those ads? 
Or any ad (besides popcorn) at all?

I remember when movie theaters first started running ads . . . paying patrons, figuring they paid to see a MOVIE, not commercials, revolted, and began doing things like throwing their sodas at the screen. What ad money the theaters made was eaten up by screen-cleaning costs.  =D

I miss those days . . . we've become a nation of wimps.  =(
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2009, 01:10:43 PM »
I remember when movie theaters first started running ads . . .

What about buying DVD's, only to get fifteen minutes of previews for upcoming movies? Granted, you might be interested in some of the movies, but it's still advertising on a product you paid for. Some of the DVD's also have public service ads such as no-smoking ads that really cross the line.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2009, 01:29:51 PM »
What about buying DVD's, only to get fifteen minutes of previews for upcoming movies? Granted, you might be interested in some of the movies, but it's still advertising on a product you paid for. Some of the DVD's also have public service ads such as no-smoking ads that really cross the line.

DVDs that I figure I'll watch more than once get ripped to hard drive, without the puffery.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2009, 01:39:27 PM »
Or any ad (besides popcorn) at all?

I remember when movie theaters first started running ads . . . paying patrons, figuring they paid to see a MOVIE, not commercials, revolted, and began doing things like throwing their sodas at the screen. What ad money the theaters made was eaten up by screen-cleaning costs.  =D

I miss those days . . . we've become a nation of wimps.  =(

Amen, I don't go to theaters any more unless it is on a date or something.  Movie previews I expect, but when they started showing shampoo ads like I was watching TV instead of having just paid $9 to see a movie, especially after the stated movie start time, I got very irate and decided to never do that again.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2009, 03:34:48 PM »
Star Trek.  That's the one that I went to knowing that I'd have to face those ads.  I'm seriously considering changing movie theatres because of the ads.

The first time I saw those ads, though, I was seeing...well, I don't remember what movie (probably because of the emotional scarring), but I was just sitting there, unsuspecting, when the Metro Pawn one came on, and then, in a feat of purest sarcasm, the other one immediately followed.

-BP

You need a higher class of theater, I've not seen those ads at the Regal near I66.   :angel:

Chris

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »
You need a higher class of theater, I've not seen those ads at the Regal near I66.   :angel:

Chris

Yeah, that's the one I'm pondering switching to; the one with the ads is the AMC at Potomac Mills.  AMC PM's seats are far more comfortable, but a sore butt recovers quicker than a damaged soul. 

-BP
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams