Author Topic: Is this normal, or an attempted rip-off?  (Read 2613 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Is this normal, or an attempted rip-off?
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 07:07:42 AM »
Gun stores are businesses, first and foremost. You will not last long in business if you sell low and buy high.

If a gun store buys a gun off the street for resale, they have no way of knowing what they will be able to get for it, or how long it will take. The gun store is taking the whole risk, so it is not surprising they want to make sure the margins are worth it.

Oh please. Gunstores, and any other store for that matter, takes the EXACT SAME RISK when they purchase stock from a distributor.

Gun dealers who conspicuously low ball someone are hoping that they're going to get lucky and get someone to sell them a good gun at a low price.

If a gun dealer, who is in the BUSINESS of knowing how to sell firearms, doesn't have a clue of what A) a used gun is worth or B) what price he's going to be able to get for it, then I submit that he has absolutely no reason for being in business.

If a dealer doesn't know about a gun, he either needs to pass on it or do a little research. And granted, there are firearms out there that are unique and which even an experienced gun dealer won't instantly know about. See the first sentence in this paragraph for that resolution.

Ignorance is just poor business practice.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »
Completely normal.
They will usually only give you the price from the blue book that is 2 or 3 grades lower than your specimin. If its something that they have a lot of already, they might just politely tell you to take a hike.

"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 08:11:06 AM »
Just the market at work.  You don't have to agree, so, don't agree.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2006, 05:53:04 AM »
It's the normally attempted ripoff Smiley

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2006, 10:30:06 AM »

Oh please. Gunstores, and any other store for that matter, takes the EXACT SAME RISK when they purchase stock from a distributor.

I must respectfully disagree.  The areas of provenance (i.e. "not stolen") and maintenance (kitchen table "gunsmithing") are two HUGE areas where the gun shop is taking a much more substantial risk with off-the-street inventory.  How many Pythons, Gold Cups, etc can YOU afford to have the police or rightful owner confiscate?

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2006, 10:46:25 AM »
Well, provenance is pretty easy.  You run it throught the database of stolen weapons (here done byTBI).  It can happen that it will be reported stolen after that, but generally that doesn't happen.
Maintenance is something else and is a risk.

And no, you do not know what you can sell it for, any more than a real estate agent knows what a particular house will sell for.  You can eyeball it and guess.  But ultimately it depends on the right buyer walking in at the right time.
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2006, 11:42:41 AM »
"I must respectfully disagree.  The areas of provenance (i.e. "not stolen") and maintenance (kitchen table "gunsmithing") are two HUGE areas where the gun shop is taking a much more substantial risk with off-the-street inventory.  How many Pythons, Gold Cups, etc can YOU afford to have the police or rightful owner confiscate?"

I sold guns in two gun stores for a total of about 5 years in the 1990s in the metro Washington, DC, area.

At neither store, both relatively high volume, and one with an attached shooting range, did we ever have an incident in which a stolen gun was sold to us and later confiscated.

If a gun dealer believes a gun to be stolen, there are methods and avenues for him to puruse. If the gun store owner doesn't feel right about a purchase, he can simply say no thank you and move on.

But in no manner or way does that justify telling a gun owner a blatant lie and using that to essentially F the consumer blind. Yes, the deadly F word, and it's VERY appropriate in this context. The owner of that gunshop was attempting to F Chris blind, hoping that he didn't know enough about the guns to know what their real parity value was.

THIS is a blatant lie: "He goes on to tell me that it has limited collector appeal, and most buyers want the new lock."

He told Chris that the gun has limited collectors appeal, that is true. But the blatant lie is through omission -- the Smith 19 has relatively high user's appeal. It's a Smith & Wesson, and it's a .357 Magnum. To try to claim anything else, and then offer a paltry $120, is an insult.

The line about the new lock? I don't have anything to back that up, but I suspect that most buyers don't know a damned thing about new lock vs. no lock. Those who do know about the lock are more than likely looking for versions without the lock.

I can't positively label the comment a lie, but it is highly suspect.
-
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.