Author Topic: Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Objectivism  (Read 12220 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Objectivism
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2014, 01:33:54 PM »
I'd love to see your data on that claim.

I seem to recall a bunch of people leaving Europe and moving to America in pursuit of liberty over the past few centuries  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2014, 04:30:03 PM »
I'd love to see your data on that claim.
Are you questioning the ratio of serfs to lords or what?

And my point is that the .gov-citizen relationship is not the same as slavery, any more than the parent child relationship is slavery or a marriage is slavery because a husband and wife "own" each others bodies and have say over each others actions.
I suppose if you view the proper role of government as the mommy and daddy of the populace, you would indeed approve of its level of control.  Can't say I agree with that view, though.

As to the husband and wife analogy, if such a relationship is as one-sided as the government/citizen relationship then whether or not it is slavery it is at best an unhealthy, abusive and controlling relationship.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2014, 04:43:00 PM »
Are you questioning the ratio of serfs to lords or what?
I suppose if you view the proper role of government as the mommy and daddy of the populace, you would indeed approve of its level of control.  Can't say I agree with that view, though.

As to the husband and wife analogy, if such a relationship is as one-sided as the government/citizen relationship then whether or not it is slavery it is at best an unhealthy, abusive and controlling relationship.

;/

Please provide a citation that the vast majority of people throughout recorded human history have been literal slaves.

Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2014, 05:41:43 PM »
Please provide a citation that the vast majority of people throughout recorded human history have been literal slaves.
Balog, I'm really not sure what you see as controversial about that claim.  Between serfdom, peasantry, debt-bondage, indentured servitude, conscription, and chattel slavery, most people were enslaved either by a central government directly or by a ruling elite. 

Do you need me to show you that most people fell under those categories throughout history as opposed to being Lords, Kings, etc.?  Or that being (for instance) a serf is being a slave?  I'd be happy to address either one, I'm just not sure what exactly you need spelled out for you.

Ned Hamford

• friend
« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2014, 08:21:19 AM »
Back on OP; looks like it was so popular they are doing each book. 
http://the-toast.net/2014/06/18/ayn-rands-harry-potter-prisoners-collectivism/
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.