Author Topic: Beyond Mile-High Grub: Can Airline Food Be Tasty?  (Read 3852 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Beyond Mile-High Grub: Can Airline Food Be Tasty?
« on: March 10, 2012, 08:30:23 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/business/airlines-studying-the-science-of-better-in-flight-meals.html

ONE of the world’s busiest airports, Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta, lies a mere 1,026 feet above sea level. Which, it turns out, is perfect for your taste buds.

At low elevations, the 10,000 or so taste buds in the human mouth work pretty much as nature intended. With an assist from the nose — the sense of smell plays a big role in taste — the familiar quartet of sweet, bitter, sour and salty registers as usual. Tomato juice tastes like tomato juice, turkey Florentine like turkey Florentine.

But step aboard a modern airliner, and the sense of taste loses its bearings. This isn’t simply because much airline food is unappetizing, although that doesn’t help. No, the bigger issue is science — science that airlines now want to turn to their advantage as they vie for lucrative business- and first-class travelers.

Very interesting article that explains the effects of altitude on taste!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Beyond Mile-High Grub: Can Airline Food Be Tasty?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:38:43 PM »
I read something similar a few years ago. I think that article was about coffee on planes. Airplane coffee is horrible.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 09:42:55 PM »
The food and coffee on British Airways is good.  United...not so much.

Chris

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 10:07:43 PM »
I spent much of my life living above the 8000' pressurization altitude, and never had a problem with tasting food  ;/

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 11:01:54 PM »
That article was probably written by American Airlines, whose food is horrible.

When my wife and I fly to South America to visit her family, we fly LAN. Even at 33,000 feet their food is quite good.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 11:23:49 PM »
The food I've had on foreign carriers has been better than what I've had on U.S. carriers . . . although oddly enough, I do remember having a couple of good meals & snacks on Eastern Airlines. (Which was dissolved in 1991.)

The one time I flew on one of my employer's Gulfstream V's the meals were quite excellent on both legs of the round trip.

Sandwiches I've brought along myself tasted just fine.

So as far as I'm concerned, blaming "altitude" for bad meals is malarky - airline food generally tastes bad because it is bad.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2012, 09:42:48 AM »
That article was probably written by American Airlines, whose food is horrible.

Typical corporate mentality.....if there's a problem, blame the customer....

Hey!.....guess which airline is currently in bankruptcy?......
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 09:49:51 AM »
I fly overseas again and I want SAS or KLM. Holy hell, flew SAS to Amsterdam, never really stopped eating and it was good. Only domestic bright side was Delta back from Athens, empty seats to spread out, they were pimping their new bourbon and I think they gathered I was service. Once I figured out there was no tab....
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »
Typical corporate mentality.....if there's a problem, blame the customer....

Hey!.....guess which airline is currently in bankruptcy?......

Yeah, and it's no wonder.

I went through JFK about a month ago. American has opened a new terminal building at JFK. Brand new facility, serving American and some of their affiliated airlines. It's big -- American used to take up two buildings at JFK and this (I suppose) consolidates them under one roof, with space left over for some other airlines.

There isn't ONE restaurant or bar on the non-secure side of the screening area, nor is there anywhere that a family who brought someone to the airport can sit down with the traveler for a final chat before the person goes through screening. Not ONE table or even seating area. There is a (very) small "cafe" that offers coffee and soft drinks. Don't remember if they even sell snacks. But no seating. And no newsstands or anything.

Dumb. But most everything about JFK is dumb and uncivilized anyway. JFK is one of the world's major hubs for international travel, yet all announcements are in English only ... and most of them by women with such heavy Jamaican accents that even native speakers of English can't understand what they're saying. Heck, even in smaller cities around Europe all announcements are typically made in the native language plus English, French and German. Depending on where the airport is, they may tack on Russian or Spanish.

Seriously -- if it's so important to inform people not to leave luggage unattended so a terrorist can't put a bomb in your bag -- wouldn't it be LOGICAL to make that announcement in as many languages as possible? It's a canned announcement anyway ... how difficult is it to record it in multiple languages?

Sheesh. I hate JFK. Just thinking about it raises my blood pressure.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 11:24:08 AM »
After many flights all across the world the food that our contracted airlines get in Europe is much better than what is placed on the planes in the U.S.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »
. . .  Sheesh. I hate JFK. Just thinking about it raises my blood pressure.
I haven't been through  JFK for probably 20 years. I hated it - when I was there, there was no way to walk from one terminal to the next, and the bus shuttles between terminals (which only ran in one direction) were NOT free.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2012, 01:48:10 PM »
The food and coffee on British Airways is good.  United...not so much.

Chris

This is the first laudatory comment I've ever heard about Brit food. Good thing I was sitting down.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2012, 02:00:49 PM »

This is the first laudatory comment I've ever heard about Brit food. Good thing I was sitting down.

Actually, the food I had in Britain was good too.

Chris

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 09:36:46 PM »

You missed the shooter's sammich?

Lots of brit food (and beer) is delicious. The girl's teeth? nuther story
AKA Navy Joe   

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 11:11:01 PM »
You missed the shooter's sammich?

Yeah, I did. Mushrooms is nasty. That sandwich looks nasty.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 11:34:03 PM »
First pepperoni, now this.   ;/
AKA Navy Joe   

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 11:38:29 PM »
[qoute]Hey!.....guess which airline is currently in bankruptcy?......[/quote]

Wait, are you suggesting that there is a such thing as an airline not in bankruptcy?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 11:41:41 PM »
First pepperoni, now this.   ;/

See, I have taste after all!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 03:37:39 AM »

See, I have taste after all!

Called no taste.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 04:36:54 AM »
Air travel in general seems to be designed to see how much abuse and indignity the travelers will endure.   :mad:

I can't imagine why anyone would do it voluntarily  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 06:37:02 AM »
Air travel in general seems to be designed to see how much abuse and indignity the travelers will endure.   :mad:

I can't imagine why anyone would do it voluntarily  ???

Thread drift, funny when the military flies on a chartered aircraft into a theater of operations, we will carry our assigned firearms but any knives or multi-tools have to go in our checked baggage. :facepalm:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »
Thread drift, funny when the military flies on a chartered aircraft into a theater of operations, we will carry our assigned firearms but any knives or multi-tools have to go in our checked baggage. :facepalm:

Do you still take out the bolts and put them in an ammo can?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 10:48:06 AM »
Nope bolts and firing pins are in the weapons.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 11:32:18 AM »
Wait, are you suggesting that there is a such thing as an airline not in bankruptcy?

Southwest seems to be doing well.....but they only pick on the chubby, scantily-dressed people.....

Do they let you carry empty mags?.....seems like a good place to keep them....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 12:05:04 PM »
Do you carry ammo as well? ???
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila