Author Topic: Want a new rifle, what to get...  (Read 5994 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Want a new rifle, what to get...
« on: December 24, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »
I have close to $600 in "Cabelas Points" via my Cabelas CC.  I want to get a new rifle.  I currently have a Winchester Featherweight in 6.5x55, so I want something that won't duplicate it.

I'm not interested in benchrest, tactical, or other "gun games".  I mainly use rifles for big game hunting.  My 6.5x55 will easily handle deer, and will probably be fine against black bears with the proper load (current load may even be fine, but I suspect my bullets are too soft).  Elk may or may not be on the menu, as would be boar.  African game or the big bears (griz, brownies, etc) aren't likely to be a factor in the near or even medium-term future (if ever).

I do need a centerfire rifle suitable for my daughters if they ever want to hunt with me, but my 6.5x55 could fill that role if this rifle is too big for them.

My requirements:
30cal or greater if fixed caliber (suitable for large game)
bolt or single shot.
No leverguns
No semiautos
Nothing with impossible to find reloading components or data

I was thinking about something like an Encore Rifle so i could get barrels for multiple calibers (maybe a 260Rem for the girls and a 45-70 for me), but I got to fondle the Ruger 44/77 bolt rifle Friday night.  This thing is too cute.  It weighs nothing and is tiny.  With its stainless steel metal and composite stock, it won't require a lot of care.  I currently own two 44mag revolvers, reload, and even cast for the caliber, so I could do all kinds of things with the 44/77.  It's plenty for any East Coast game animals.  The open sights make it ideal for hunting thickets and such, but the excellent Ruger scope mounting system means it'll be easy to pop a scope on if I'm in the stand.  The size and light weight means it'll be easier for my girls to handle, while my handloading means I can tailor a load to their recoil-sensitivity requirements.  

My budget is up to $1k including the $600 credit at Cabelas.  I have optics (scope and/or red dot), so that doesn't factor into the budget.

Thoughts?

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Want a new rifle, what to get...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 03:20:40 PM »
[arfcom]

You should get a Bushmaster.

[/arfcom]

Sounds like you have a good idea in the .44magnum.  It's gonna be a lobber though, not very flat trajectory at all.  Were I shopping for similar, I'd go up into the .45 rifle territory and look at .45/70 offerings from TC and Ruger.  It can be downloaded soft, or uploaded to something mighty fierce.

There are people out here in AZ that hunt elk with .243, .25-06 and 6.5x55 regularly.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 03:40:21 PM »
The fit and finish on my Browning xbolt is great. Very well put together, trigger is great, fit and finish are great, well balanced, and points nicely. I can't comment beyond that as I just got it and haven't had a chance to do a whole lot with it, but having some time to fondle it I am really liking it.

Comes it a very wide variety of calibers depending what you want to do.

Regardless of the rifle, and aside from the 44 idea, I'd stick with a good .308 or 30-06. Ammo and reloading stuff are everywhere, not overly expensive factory and surplus ammo, usually get a little more capacity than fat magnum calibers, and frankly there isn't a whole hell of a lot in North America that wont fall over nicely for a 30-06 load with appropriate ammo for the critter.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 03:44:00 PM »
I'm gonna suggest an oddball chambering... .338-06.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 04:00:49 PM »
Win Model 70 in .30-06 to mate with your swede.

06 will take you Elk and Black Bear hunting and non dangerous game of Africa.

I also love my M70 300 wm so don't discount that round either.

of course I'm getting a levergun in 444 Marlin this spring which is another round to look at.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 04:01:49 PM »
Sounds like you have a good idea in the .44magnum.  It's gonna be a lobber though, not very flat trajectory at all.  Were I shopping for similar, I'd go up into the .45 rifle territory and look at .45/70 offerings from TC and Ruger.  It can be downloaded soft, or uploaded to something mighty fierce.
Hunting distances around here tend to be short.  100yds is long, most deer are taken at 50 or less (my last one was less than 25yds).  A TC Encore in 45/70 is tempting, which is why that platform is on the table.  Setting up a carbine in 45/70 or similar and having another barrel in something suitable for my girls (if that day comes) is attractive.

There are people out here in AZ that hunt elk with .243, .25-06 and 6.5x55 regularly.
Yup, which is why I want something very different. 

The fit and finish on my Browning xbolt is great. Very well put together, trigger is great, fit and finish are great, well balanced, and points nicely. I can't comment beyond that as I just got it and haven't had a chance to do a whole lot with it, but having some time to fondle it I am really liking it.

Comes it a very wide variety of calibers depending what you want to do.

Regardless of the rifle, and aside from the 44 idea, I'd stick with a good .308 or 30-06. Ammo and reloading stuff are everywhere, not overly expensive factory and surplus ammo, usually get a little more capacity than fat magnum calibers, and frankly there isn't a whole hell of a lot in North America that wont fall over nicely for a 30-06 load with appropriate ammo for the critter.

Brownings aren't very common around here.  Nothing wrong with them, just don't see a variety.

I'm not against the 308 or 30-06, but they aren't a significant "upgrade" from my 6.5x55.  If I were to go that route, I'd want a 308 in a light carbine, not a full size rifle.  Since I have a good full size rifle, I want something better suited to brush hunting (ie shorter and lighter). 

I'm gonna suggest an oddball chambering... .338-06.

That's hardly oddball. :)

I've considered the 338-06 as well as the 35Whelen.  Brass for either isn't terrible common, but can be formed from 30-06 brass.  I think the 338-06 barely edges out the 35whelen by virtue of the bullet selection.  There isn't a huge selection of good 35caliber rifle bullets that aren't blunt designs for leverguns.  There's also the 338Ruger to consider, which is available in their carbine length 77 action.  I'd like to see one in person first.  The Ruger 77 is similar in size and weight to my Winchester, but significantly more powerful.  However, it isn't going to be daughter-friendly (my Winchester is a bit large for them as well). 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 04:06:51 PM »
Win Model 70 in .30-06 to mate with your swede.

06 will take you Elk and Black Bear hunting and non dangerous game of Africa.
I believe my 6.5x55 will given the correct load and a tough bullet.  My "go-to" bullet for East Coast deer is the Sierra 140gr SPBT, but I consider it a bit soft.  I'd switch to a Nosler Partition or similar at that weight or even heavier if I wanted to go after larger game.  Either way, I think it's up to the task, so I'd like not to have a lot of overlap by adding a long action 30cal.  It's not as if I have a bunch of rifles.   I can fill in gaps later. ;)

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »

I know a lot of Elk hunters and I'm going to be one when I draw a tag in a year or two. The guys I know have each had mulitple elk harvests and they wouldn't hunt with anything less than a .270. Most gravitate to a .30-06 or bigger with .300wm being the most popular.

Now are these guys you know elk cow hunters? My uncle shot a 1200# bull this year in CO with a 300 win mag, 1st shot was the perfect heart/lung shot, the Elk did not die, took three more rounds to bring it down and still had to give shoot it one more time. Elk are tough SOB's.

Also a lot of Elk shots are going to be between 100-300 yards, you need bullet energy down range with that.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2012, 04:31:45 PM »

I know a lot of Elk hunters and I'm going to be one when I draw a tag in a year or two. The guys I know have each had mulitple elk harvests and they wouldn't hunt with anything less than a .270. Most gravitate to a .30-06 or bigger with .300wm being the most popular.

Now are these guys you know elk cow hunters? My uncle shot a 1200# bull this year in CO with a 300 win mag, 1st shot was the perfect heart/lung shot, the Elk did not die, took three more rounds to bring it down and still had to give shoot it one more time. Elk are tough SOB's.

Also a lot of Elk shots are going to be between 100-300 yards, you need bullet energy down range with that.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Frank Castle

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2012, 06:29:29 PM »
.338 Remington Ultra Magnum .

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »

No thanks.  Ammo is stupid expensive and recoil energy figures don't look appealing.

Chris

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2012, 06:42:25 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2012, 07:06:05 PM »

Why?  The 338LM is more available, far more loads and users with data on it, and is cheaper...ironically.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2012, 07:13:51 PM »
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 07:28:55 PM »

I have that book. :)

Why?  The 338LM is more available, far more loads and users with data on it, and is cheaper...ironically.
Kind of moving in the opposite direction I was intending.

If you don't want to hump it up 1000 vertical feed of East Coast mountain thickets, then neither do I. :)

Chris

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 08:03:44 PM »
Why not something in .308?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 08:07:11 PM »
Ruger M77 Compact in .308.  Small, light, and common caliber.  Fills the rolls of carbine, bolt, .30 cal or greater, and easily hhandled by folks who find a full size rifle a bit large.  I have one in .223 and it's become my everyday rifle.  The .06 featherweight Shoulder Rearranger comes out if I need uber-accuracy or more terminal energy for stubborn critters like big feral hogs.

Brad
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:13:12 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »
Remington model 673 in .350 Remington Magnum. This is a really neat cartridge and this gun is fairly light and comfortable to carry.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »
Not a good fit, but the only > .30-'06 rifle I ever had was a .375H&H Mag.  It shot incredibly well with almost any bullet weight and achievable velocity.  Dumbass me sold it.  It was a an Interarms Mark X, some eastbloc M98 design.  Of all the guns I've sold, that's the one I regret selling the most.  It would be dakka enough for anything outside of Africa.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2012, 10:19:08 PM »
Why not something in .308?

A bit too pedestrian and not enough of a jump over the 6.5x55 I already have.  I have been looking at some of the Remington 700 Tactical Carbines and Savage's "Hog Hunter".

Ruger M77 Compact in .308.  Small, light, and common caliber.  Fills the rolls of carbine, bolt, .30 cal or greater, and easily hhandled by folks who find a full size rifle a bit large.  I have one in .223 and it's become my everyday rifle.  The .06 featherweight Shoulder Rearranger comes out if I need uber-accuracy or more terminal energy for stubborn critters like big feral hogs.

Hmm, I like the numbers for the Compact.  It's about the same size and weight as the 44/77.  I do wish it had iron sights.  The Compact Magnum version does, but it's 4" longer and a full pound heavier.

Not a good fit, but the only > .30-'06 rifle I ever had was a .375H&H Mag.  It shot incredibly well with almost any bullet weight and achievable velocity.  Dumbass me sold it.  It was a an Interarms Mark X, some eastbloc M98 design.  Of all the guns I've sold, that's the one I regret selling the most.  It would be dakka enough for anything outside of Africa.
I have given the 375H&H some thought, but I don't know that it'll ever be useful for the hunting I do. 

Chris

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2012, 10:25:12 PM »
Of course, all of this depends on what Cabelas has in stock (gun library included) when I visit this Spring...

Chris

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 12:19:39 AM »
You want a .44 mag in a light short handy package ?  Maybe  reconsider the no lever action criteria- the Marlin 1894 is a wonderful carbine, .357, .44, or .45colt.  Perfect gun for up to 100 yards. OK, Ok... =D

how about a CZ bolt action carbine in 7.62x39? 

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 12:29:41 AM »
A bit too pedestrian and not enough of a jump over the 6.5x55 I already have. 

In that case, how about something I was debating suggesting instead of .338-06, the 9.3x64mm Brenneke. Gives a good 4,300 ft/lbs of energy at muzzle with the common loadings.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 12:48:29 AM »
Ooooo. Just looked at a couple wild cats and see something I want to try. First, take the .338 Lapua, and change it to the .338 Yogi (kind of like an Ackley Improved for the Lapua), and then neck it up to 9.3mm.

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 01:40:05 AM »

How about a Tikka T3 in either the Hunter or Lite models in .30-06? There's nothing in North America that the .30-06 can't kill cleanly and quickly. Ammo can be found everywhere and the rifle is light enough to be a mountain rifle.

Not a good fit, but the only > .30-'06 rifle I ever had was a .375H&H Mag.  It shot incredibly well with almost any bullet weight and achievable velocity.  Dumbass me sold it.  It was a an Interarms Mark X, some eastbloc M98 design.  Of all the guns I've sold, that's the one I regret selling the most.   It would be dakka enough for anything outside of Africa.

That is a Zastava Mauser made in Serbia and Montenegro. They have been known as Mark X by Interarms, Charles Daly when imported by KBI, Remington 798, and they are now imported and distributed by Century Arms and K-VAR. Just bought two left-handers recently- a Mauser in .25-06 and a Mini-Mauser carbine in .223. I also have two of the last LH actions in the distribution system under the CD rollmark.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.