Author Topic: Can you say "Birth Control??"  (Read 28184 times)

Chrissy

• MySpace page
Can you say "Birth Control??"
« on: September 05, 2009, 10:40:34 PM »

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Can you say "Birth Control??"
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 12:01:28 AM »
Seeing as how they are more than capable of supporting their brood and seem to teach their offspring the same sort of values I have no problem with it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 12:04:24 AM »
Probably more kids than I'd like to have (gotta start adopting at some point imho). However, they can afford them and they raise them well, so I have no problem with their choice. The legions of people who hate them irrationally will be along shortly.  :rolleyes:
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:10:56 AM »
I don't hate them.  I do wonder if each child is receiving the amount of attention one needs from their parents in order to be a emotionally developed person though.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:23:20 AM »
We note with some surprise that having more than three kids is about all it takes to get your own TV show right now.  Am I the only one who's more fascinated by this fact, than by the fact that some people reproduce more than other people? 

And is it acceptable to switch from the editorial we to the first person in the same paragraph?  :)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:26:32 AM »
I don't hate them.  I do wonder if each child is receiving the amount of attention one needs from their parents in order to be a emotionally developed person though.

To the best of my knowledge the older children help to take care of the younger ones. That said I think they passed silly a few children back. But the children show no signs of any sort of neglect so I have no reason to think they're bad people.
Look, tiny text!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 12:31:22 AM »
We note with some surprise that having more than three kids is about all it takes to get your own TV show right now.

Technically, the number cut-off seems to be "12".

Do I think this is the best way to raise children? No.

Do I think these people should have their children taken away? No. There are plenty of 'nuclear' families who are worse than this.

On the other hand:

How healthy it is for your children to make your life a reality TV show?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 01:08:34 AM »
Technically, the number cut-off seems to be "12".

Do I think this is the best way to raise children? No.

Do I think these people should have their children taken away? No. There are plenty of 'nuclear' families who are worse than this.

On the other hand:

How healthy it is for your children to make your life a reality TV show?

I wonder about that last point myself.

On the first point, google John and Kate Plus 8.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 01:29:06 AM »
Eight is still a lot, a lot of kids.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 01:31:36 AM »
Eight is still a lot, a lot of kids.

Meh.  I doubt it's that many, in the long view.  For modern Americans, yes, but we tend to have small families. 

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 01:43:56 AM »
Meh.  I doubt it's that many, in the long view.  For modern Americans, yes, but we tend to have small families. 

According to this book, around the 18th century the average Philadelphia household had 5.2 people in it. A working-class woman was expected to give birth to 4-5 children throughout her lifetime, but of course not all of them survived.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 03:07:00 AM »
1. Not my cup of tea.
2. Not any of my business.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 06:55:43 AM »
I don't hate them.  Does anyone know what they do for a living, or are they just supported by their reality show?  There is also the issue of each child getting the attention they should be having.  There's no way with that many children that they can give each one the attention they should be having.  If the older ones are taking care of the younger ones, is that fair?  The adults shouldn't expect their older children to be parents when they didn't have the children. 

No, the children aren't abused, yes they are able to support them, but I still don't think it's good for the children to have that many siblings.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 07:47:42 AM »
Except for my siblings, I'd have been an only child.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »
They own commercial real estate.  One of their ventures is a strip of warehouse buildings, and some of their others include land that has cell phone towers on it.  
They are a bit creepy and uninteresting.  Wife watches the show from time to time.
Under Obamacare, I heard that a Death Panel will make them give back some of the kids...
 :laugh:
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 08:29:54 AM »
I don't hate them, but I wonder when her uterus will just plain fall out...  :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 09:43:55 AM »
I don't hate them, but I wonder when her uterus will just plain fall out...  :O
Dunno, but when that happens someone could get a hot air balloon out of it...  =D
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 10:37:27 AM »
I don't hate them, but I wonder when her uterus will just plain fall out...

I just wonder how he can get the job done anymore...I mean, getting a couple extra stitches after the birth can only do so much.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »
There is also the issue of each child getting the attention they should be having.  There's no way with that many children that they can give each one the attention they should be having. If the older ones are taking care of the younger ones, is that fair?  The adults shouldn't expect their older children to be parents when they didn't have the children. 

Some Romanian immigrants I used to know would find this to be a pretty good laugh, as double-digit broods of children seemed pretty typical for them. I think one family had 12 children and another had 18. They seemed very well-adjusted and happy to me. I don't think I've ever encountered the idea that helping to raise a younger sibling was "unfair," or that it is equivalent to their being parents. I thought it was usually considered very good training for future parents. 

I fear such comments are only the typical reaction of the modern Westerner, as we have come to view the two-child family as the norm.  I'm not saying 19 children has ever been the usual number, but plenty of people would find 19 to be much more reasonable than 2 or 3. 

I have one sibling, FWIW. My parents both have five siblings, but the younger generation just had one or two kids a piece. 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 10:53:47 AM »
And is it acceptable to switch from the editorial we to the first person in the same paragraph?  :)

Strictly speaking (wearing my editorial hat): No. It allows your schizophrenia to show through. It's better to be either "I" or "we" consistently, at least for the duration of a two-sentence paragraph.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »
It allows your schizophrenia to show through.

Oh, I hate it when that happens.   =(

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »
Hey, more power to 'em.  The Duggers are just doing the job that this American won't do.

Keep the kids off my lawn and there will be no trouble.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »
Every time I see them I want to say "Hey lady, it's a uterus, not a clown car."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 01:00:35 PM »

I fear such comments are only the typical reaction of the modern Westerner, as we have come to view the two-child family as the norm.  I'm not saying 19 children has ever been the usual number, but plenty of people would find 19 to be much more reasonable than 2 or 3. 

I think everyone you talk to has some number they can't imagine.  At this point, my parents get gasps from some people when they find out that they raised 4 children! 

I was the oldest of of the four, and I was expected to pull my weight around the house in the form of chores and helping out with my younger siblings. It only made sense that I should he out with things like meals and sibling's homework.  I think this dynamic had the effect of building a stronger family, as everyone (kids included) had a part in the running of the household, rather than the dynamic I see today where many parents are essentially servants for their children.  Hell, I can't remember the last time I saw a teenager mowing a lawn. 

Another interesting thing about the US in the past few years is how the family has gotten considerably smaller while the size of the typical house has grown.  Now you will see a dynamic where family members all retreat to their respective rooms in the evening to watch enjoy their own TVs, Computers etc.  There is less and less sharing of spaces and devices.  Kids sharing rooms (as I did) is now looked on as something odd, or something only poor families do.   

The Duggars certainly have more children than my wife and I would attempt, but they aren't placing a burden on the welfare system, unlike many families with far fewer children.   It doesn't sound like their kids are getting into any trouble either. 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »
I just wonder how he can get the job done anymore...I mean, getting a couple extra stitches after the birth can only do so much.

The vagina and uterus are basically large muscular organs, meaning if the muscles are kept well toned they will retain their size properly. There are exercises for this.
Look, tiny text!