Author Topic: This could be bad... Congresswoman shot in head  (Read 42898 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: This could be bad... Congresswoman shot in head
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2011, 06:35:06 PM »
I just came over here to post the "theChollaJumps" link, but roo_ster beat me to it.
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Perhaps why the sheriff came out, all partisan guns blazing
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2011, 07:36:04 PM »
Perhaps why the sheriff came out, all partisan guns blazing:

http://moelane.com/2011/01/10/did-dupnik-dismiss-loughner-threat/
http://thechollajumps.wordpress.com/2011/01/09/jared-loughner-is-a-product-of-sheriff-dupniks-office/
"...The point is he and his office have had previous contact with the alleged assailant in the past and that is how he knows how to pronounce the name.

Jared Loughner has been making death threats by phone to many people in Pima County including staff of Pima Community College, radio personalities and local bloggers. When Pima County Sheriff’s Office was informed, his deputies assured the victims that he was being well managed by the mental health system. It was also suggested that further pressing of charges would be unnecessary and probably cause more problems than it solved as Jared Loughner has a family member that works for Pima County..."

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/09/132780313/sheriff-accused-shooter-unhinged-made-threats
"...As we understand it, there have been law enforcement contacts with the individual where he made threats to kill," Dupnik said during a press conference Saturday evening. But he wouldn't say who those threats were aimed at..."

So how about we pass a law to ban criminally incompetent sheriffs ???

;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2011, 07:45:55 PM »
http://gawker.com/5729802/the-sad-death-of-gun-control
Quote from: from link
But a consensus has emerged that preserving access to firearms for the public at large is worth the occasional mass killing because the alternative—registering firearms, requiring competency evaluations before selling them—is too onerous.

Well.......yes actually.  Although I would change the last word to dangerous.  I guess at least one anti gets it.  He just doesn't like it.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2011, 08:16:15 PM »
i heard that he was turned down for an ammo sale at a Walmart last week because of his demeanour
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2011, 08:54:24 PM »
did you see this at the memorial?

A sign is shown on the lawn of University Hospital Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011 in Tucson, Ariz. for U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., and others who were shot a day earlier during a Giffords speech at a local supermarket. (Matt York / AP)

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/news/article/Congresswoman-raises-2-fingers-gives-thumbs-up-948257.php#ixzz1AggRdYZy
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2011, 10:06:03 PM »
Everyone seems to be talking about the vitriol in political discourse, now my google-fu ain't all that strong but I found this about Benjamin Tillman:

During his Senate career, he was censured by the Senate in 1902 after assaulting John L. McLaurin, another Senator and his counterpart from South Carolina.[4]  As a result, the Senate added to its rules the provision that "No senator in debate shall, directly or indirectly, by any form of words impute to another Senator or to other Senators any conduct or motive unworthy or unbecoming a Senator."[5] He was also barred from the White House

Does no one here remember their High Screwl History lessons ??  See if these ring a bell: Bloody Kansas ?  John Brown and Harpers Ferry?  Those were just some quick ones off the top of my head.

Vitriolic political discourse has always been the way with this country.  The left is just using that a code phrase to "Shut up and agree with us". 

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2011, 09:56:59 AM »
Reply #45 was me linking to an AP story that was way over the top parading as a hard news story, not editorial.

I just clicked on it to reread it and post it up elsewhere. AP changed out the story at the link to a more balanced reporting of the facts. Oops! they must have got called on letting their real colors show so obviously.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »
did you see this at the memorial?
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//mercedesnotreticle.jpg

A sign is shown on the lawn of University Hospital Sunday, Jan. 9, 2011 in Tucson, Ariz. for U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Ariz., and others who were shot a day earlier during a Giffords speech at a local supermarket. (Matt York / AP)
I thought it was supposed to be a steering wheel.
"It's good, though..."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2011, 11:18:06 AM »

Drive luxury cars instead of shooting rifles?

???
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #134 on: January 11, 2011, 04:34:53 PM »
Reason TV: 5 rules for coping with tragedy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWrsy5wyAnE

A lot of folks on both sides need to watch this.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #135 on: January 11, 2011, 05:21:04 PM »
Here is a good interview with Zamudio on MSNBC.  He acquitted himself well. Especially with an unsympathetic interviewer. He is a good example of someone who used good judgement under pressure. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-3GTwalrGY&feature=player_embedded

Of course, they cut the segment short, and now they are spinning what he said. They are saying that he nearly shot the wrong man. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41018893/ns/slatecom/

It's kinda hard to "almost" shoot someone when you haven't cleared leather.   :facepalm:

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #136 on: January 11, 2011, 07:27:35 PM »
They are saying that he nearly shot the wrong man. 

Of course the cops never do anything like that  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #137 on: January 11, 2011, 07:35:54 PM »
You know, they couldn't have found a freakier looking guy if they'd put out a "American Freakazoid" reality show casting call...

Blog under construction

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #138 on: January 11, 2011, 07:53:41 PM »
I thought we already had him on here?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2011, 07:59:54 PM »
Of course, they cut the segment short, and now they are spinning what he said. They are saying that he nearly shot the wrong man. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41018893/ns/slatecom/

It's kinda hard to "almost" shoot someone when you haven't cleared leather.

Anybody got access to a Simunitions setup or any other full-contact force-on-force system?  I'd love to run a few dozen cops into that scenario cold and see how many of them actually do shoot the first armed person they see.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2011, 08:00:20 PM »
The reality of living in a free society is that the more free one is, the more danger one is exposed to.  The fact is in our nation of 305 million people, the amount of violence one is exposed to every day is remarkably low.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2011, 10:00:14 PM »
Anybody got access to a Simunitions setup or any other full-contact force-on-force system?  I'd love to run a few dozen cops into that scenario cold and see how many of them actually do shoot the first armed person they see.

I'l put $10 on "All of them"  =(

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2011, 11:43:35 PM »
I'l put $10 on "All of them"  =(

Well, according to virtually every university police chief who has spoken up against TX HB 1893 (campus carry) last session, all of their officers are trained to kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out when it comes to armed people in the vicinity of active shooter situations.  

Anybody want to gather up a few folks and a video camera, and just make a basic "shoot/don't" walkthrough video with this scenario?  Start out of view of the incident area, with audio of a single weapon firing 20+ shots.  Camera enters the view area 3-5 seconds after the last shot.  Cut to black, say, a half second (representing time to decide during draw and aim, as well as how long you would have before a still-armed psycho would shoot you if that were the case) after the camera rounds the corner into view of the bodies, the armed, probably extremely jumpy person, and the dogpile on the (actual) shooter, and attach it to a poll.  Best to dump it in the middle of a bunch of shoot/don't videos, though, so the viewer doesn't go in with this incident already playing out in their head.

There are a few things it would be helpful to know, though:
  • How was the man holding the Glock? (Was he even holding it by the grip?  How noticeable would that be on first sight?)
  • Where was it pointed?
  • Was the slide locked open? (Since the shooter had run dry at the time, it might have been.  Again, how visible is this from the CHL's point of view?)
  • How was he dressed? (Gangbanger, average guy, nicely dressed enough to be plainclothes security, wookiee suit and saucepan helmet, etc.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 11:55:18 PM by KD5NRH »

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2011, 12:00:02 AM »
I'l put $10 on "All of them"  =(

I recently took one of Mas Ayoob's one week classes (the one that covers Judicious use of Deadly force).  We ran through a number of video shoot/no shoot type scenarios.  Most of the students got shot at least once. Interestingly enough, the only classmates that shot innocents were deputies in a major CA sheriffs department. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:17:26 AM by red headed stranger »
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it