Author Topic: Well, That's It - McDonalds is Done  (Read 25502 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Well, That's It - McDonalds is Done
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »

I think where many of them are going is to just have someone building burgers to order.  They just have a big steaming bin full of patties, a bin for buns, and others with other stuff and they just build them as they are ordered.  Which means nothing is exactly fresh.  I see them doing this already for breakfast sandwiches.

Wendy's has been doing exactly that for decades. And unless they've radically changed in the past couple of years, the patties don't sit around for more than a few minutes once they leave the grill.

Wendy's is about as close as you can get to cooked to order.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2015, 01:04:38 PM »
My folks lived in Tulsa for a while, there was diner on old US 66 that had amazing burgers (and chicken fried steak).

I wish I could remember the name of the place.

Could be a couple of different places.  There are several of those around.  Just have to depend on how long ago and a general location.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2015, 01:17:18 PM »
Could be a couple of different places.  There are several of those around.  Just have to depend on how long ago and a general location.

Not far from the Frank Lloyd Wright church.

I think it was Tally's Cafe
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2015, 01:22:18 PM »
Tally's is still there but IMHO not that great of a place.  They might have been at one time but the two times I've been there, after 9 in the evening, they had a problem serving us, a "party" of close to 30 probably, but called in ahead and they were well aware of us coming.  Slow service and the food I had wasn't all that great.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2015, 01:27:56 PM »
Tally's is still there but IMHO not that great of a place.  They might have been at one time but the two times I've been there, after 9 in the evening, they had a problem serving us, a "party" of close to 30 probably, but called in ahead and they were well aware of us coming.  Slow service and the food I had wasn't all that great.

It was 10 years ago.

Uranus is a gas giant.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2015, 01:42:48 PM »
Time.  It takes much more time to go to CB and grab lunch.  If it was only about money, I'd probably never eat fast food again.

Chris

This

I like FLW's work, but worshiping him as a deity is going a bit far.

When I get food for the kiddos, I set it up before we get in line to minimize the interaction.  If they give me any guff, I order them both bog-standard cheeseburgers or chicken sandwiches.  They are learning.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2015, 01:59:05 PM »
I like FLW's work, but worshiping him as a deity is going a bit far.

smartass... There is a church in Tulsa that he designed.

Uranus is a gas giant.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2015, 03:03:24 PM »
It was 10 years ago.

Yeah, I've been here in Tulsa since 98 but only the past couple of years that I have eaten there.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
That being said it is really hard to beat a burger at one of those mom and pop greasy spoons.

Had a burger at a place like that tonight.  Huffy's in Granite Falls, NC.  Not a 'greasy spoon' in the true sense of the word; more like a good little diner.  Great basic burgers, frozen, crinkle cut fries out of a bag cooked properly so they are decently crunchy, and good ice cream for dessert.  All for a reasonable price.
Beats the heck out of McD's and most of the other chains.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #134 on: May 11, 2015, 09:59:11 PM »
I tried a new place this afternoon. Not all that new -- it's been open for almost a year. Wayback Burgers/ Anybody ever hear of them? I hadn't, but it looks like it's national or at least regional franchise operation.

http://waybackburgers.com/

I just had a Classic (double) burger. It seemed fresh, it was well-cooked yet still slightly juicy, bun was fresh and soft. The burger and a small soda cost about $1 more than a Big Mac and a senior soda at McDonalds. I may have to go back.

And they have hot dogs. If those are good -- I may have found a new burger joint.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2015, 02:38:09 AM »

I've had breakfast there a few times. Pretty good.

Wmenorr67,  have you been up to Claremore and gone to Hugo's. Great food, great service, huge portions, low prices. It is absolutely the only place I will wait for a table if they are busy.  We only go a few times a year, can't afford the cholesterol hit.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2015, 06:28:44 AM »
I've had breakfast there a few times. Pretty good.

Wmenorr67,  have you been up to Claremore and gone to Hugo's. Great food, great service, huge portions, low prices. It is absolutely the only place I will wait for a table if they are busy.  We only go a few times a year, can't afford the cholesterol hit.

Never heard of it but will have to try it out.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2015, 06:50:23 AM »
Hugo's is legendary quality. Make the effort. They are only open for breakfast and lunch. An order with bacon comes with pretty much a lb (precooked) of bacon.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2015, 07:33:36 AM »
We have a Greek-owned family diner near me.

The burgers are OK, the hot beef and turkey sandwiches with gravy are ok, but the real star?

The mousakka. It's absolutely awesome.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2015, 07:52:54 AM »
Hell even some of your nicer sit down places can't get stuff right and have sucky burgers.  Last time I went to Applebee's the burger was dry and unflavorful.  Of course the only reason I was there was to use a gift card given to us for Christmas.

I always liked Applebee's, been eating in them since the early 1990s. But over the last 5 years or so, I've seen a decided drop in quality in a lot of their stuff.

There used to be one very close to my house, but it folded rather quickly. Strange given its location.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2015, 10:02:42 AM »
My favorite go to craving is the pretzel sticks and beer cheese dip at TGIFriday's.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2015, 11:06:28 AM »
We have a Greek-owned family diner near me.

The burgers are OK, the hot beef and turkey sandwiches with gravy are ok, but the real star?

The mousakka. It's absolutely awesome.

Greek food.  Yum.

My favorite Greek cafe in all the world closed last year.  It is located near family I visit.  I walked up to the storefront and realized it was out of business.  Sad times. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »
  I walked up to the storefront and realized it was out of business.  Sad times. 

=D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2015, 06:09:58 PM »

=D

"What about the steaks that were in there when they closed? Do you think they got eaten?"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2015, 06:36:57 AM »

"No burger for you!  Next!"

Kids (actually grown) took me to a cowboy restaurant once.  I knew if you wore a necktie in there, they'd cut it off and hang it on one of their walls as a "trophy."

So I wore a tie.

"Pop, you know they cut off your tie in there?  The waitresses even have scissors in their aprons."

"Yep.  I know.  Cheap old tie, don't worry about it," I said.

But I had a length of ~18 ga steel stovepipe wire stuck in there.

What fun !

After the waitress struggled to cut though the wire in the middle of the tie for a bit, she caught on, and I finally pulled out the wire so they could have their trophy.  We all had a good laugh over that one.

Cheap Tie Terry,  230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.