Author Topic: The worst gun ever made?  (Read 4338 times)

grislyatoms

• friends
Re: The worst gun ever made?
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »
I paid "mid range" for this Kimber Custom.If it doesn't perform, it's gone. Considering my previous experience with Kimber, I went out on a limb for Kimber. One last chance. If it fails...done with Kimber.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2018, 08:06:52 PM »
I will say that the Kimber K6 has been very well received in the revolver world.  It looks as though a Colt Cobra and a Ruger SP-101 had a baby.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2018, 08:34:42 PM »
What gun do we make grisly buy next?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 10:02:14 PM »

I have never had a failure with a Bersa.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 10:22:02 PM »
I should have bought a buddy's Jennings .25.  It was everything a Jennings is known to be, but when it fed? Hugely accurate, convinced I could have made money betting with that thing. Maybe a sucker that wanted to shoot for pink slips. :D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 10:24:18 PM »
I would never buy a non-Colt 1911, full stop. They’re not perfect but that’s the only brand I’ve ever seen run out of the box with no “break in” or tweaking. They tend to come out looser (with a little click in the slide) but for whatever reason they work.

A relative of mine once got a Taurus 22, it was a beretta pocket pistol knock off. In shot one it threw a chunk off of the back slide rail, on the frame - looked like a jagged rock. No thanks for Taurus either.

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 11:18:11 PM »
Speaking of the RG, my BIL gave me a RG .38spl. Total POC! It worked, that is as long as you THOROUGHLY cleaned it after EACH use. I'm talking take of the side plate, clean and oil the guts cleaning.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 01:46:26 PM »
NEW RIA 1911 .45 15 years ago.  Hammer following.  Disconnector burred.   Deburred it.  Perfect since.

PF9.  Two shots, third round would nosedive.  Ammo brand, bullet style, weight, didn't matter.  Nosedived third round.  Sent back, they say they did stuff, tested it, all OK.  Still would nosedive third shot, once again, ammo brand, bullet style, weight, didn't matter.  Called it my two-shot derringer with a handy compartment for extra ammo.  Full disclosure to next person, my son, but he says it worked perfectly.  Too small for my big hands?  
I have a PF9.  Mine would have missed primer strikes.  Not weak, just no strike at all.  I don't know if I ever had more than 3 rounds in a row fire.  I eventually sent it back do Keltec.  It came back and works 100%.  It is still too small and the trigger sucks, but as a pocket gun, it is okay. 

I bought a used Keltec PMR-30 a couple years ago.  My first one was very reliable.  This one was not.  Rounds were failing to feed all the time.  On a whim, I bought a threaded barrel to get a flash hider.  With that barrel swap, it has been very reliable just like my first one.  I assume there was some dimensional flaw in the original barrel that screwed up the works. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 01:50:13 PM »
I should have bought a buddy's Jennings .25.  It was everything a Jennings is known to be, but when it fed? Hugely accurate, convinced I could have made money betting with that thing. Maybe a sucker that wanted to shoot for pink slips. :D
I bought a Jennings 380 once mainly because it was cheap.  It actually worked (cleaned and lubed it).  However, it cut the web of my hand since it had not beavertail to protect the shooter's hand.  It has been buried in a closet ever since.  I haven't wanted to inflict anyone else with it and I figured it wasn't worth much.

In my first CHL class, one of the other students showed up to the class with a Jennings 9mm.  He hadn't fired it or even cleaned/lubed it.  The instructor took a 10 minute break with him getting it lubed up enough to function.  I think the guy did pass, but the shooting requirement is pretty easy. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 01:55:06 PM »
My first centerfire pistol was a Springfield Loaded 1911.  It was always a pretty good pistol provided I used the OEM magazines.  I tried cheaper Govt pattern mags that never worked right. 

I had a Remington R1 1911 for a couple years that also worked pretty well.  I can't speak for anything else Remington is making right now, but the 1911's seem to be okay.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2018, 04:44:32 PM »
Some of those ring of fire pistols are weirdly collectible these days.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2018, 08:19:28 PM »
I had a pre-Kahr Auto Ordnance 1911A1 that was a pile of garbage.  I worked on the extractor with no luck.  Worst part was that I traded a perfectly good Norinco 1911A1 for it because I wanted an American 1911.  Dumbest trade I ever made.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2018, 11:15:48 PM »
Wish I kept my Norinco 1911A1. Great, dependable, gun. :old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2018, 10:26:54 AM »
I have a Taurus TP-22 that I bought new in the mid 1990s.

I've fired over 2,000 rounds of Winchester Wildcat through it...

0 failures to feed

0 failures to fire

0 failures to eject.

The only problems I ever had with it were with CCI ammo, which apparently had harder cases and required two pulls of the trigger to fire most of the time. I simply switched back to Wildcat.

It's been so reliable that I've carried it on and off for years as my primary CCW.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2018, 10:51:19 AM »
Taurus seems to be one of those companies with a lot of love/hate.  Some will be very happy and other owners will be upset.  I figured it was poor quality control and some people get the junk.  That is one brand I have avoided over the years.  

Thinking of Kimber, I have not heard about a lot of bad guns, just people not happy with triggers and such.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2018, 12:54:32 PM »
Taurus seems to be one of those companies with a lot of love/hate.  Some will be very happy and other owners will be upset.  I figured it was poor quality control and some people get the junk.  That is one brand I have avoided over the years.  

My 605 snub, which I've praised here before, has a weird cosmetic issue.  It's subtle, and I didn't notice it for years.  Machining on the top strap and trigger guard is slightly askew.   It's almost like the frame went into a mill for some finishing steps crooked. 
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 05:17:04 PM »
I have a Taurus TP-22 that I bought new in the mid 1990s.

I've fired over 2,000 rounds of Winchester Wildcat through it...

0 failures to feed

0 failures to fire

0 failures to eject.

The only problems I ever had with it were with CCI ammo, which apparently had harder cases and required two pulls of the trigger to fire most of the time. I simply switched back to Wildcat.

It's been so reliable that I've carried it on and off for years as my primary CCW.

How did the CCI figure into that zero failure to fire?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2018, 05:59:40 PM »
Had a 4 inch Taurus 669 revolver in my safe for some time.  No matter what ammo was used, shooting from a rest or off hand, single or double action, I could not get it to group less than 4-5 inches at 15 yards.  Not at all and to see it go when my brother sold it.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 01:46:56 AM »
M14

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2018, 01:48:33 AM »

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2018, 10:06:30 AM »
How did the CCI figure into that zero failure to fire?

:facepalm:

Jesus, did you really NOT understand that the 0/0/0 was specifically about the gun's performance with Wildcat ammo?

And that I called out its performance with CCI specifically, as well?

That they weren't all lumped together?

That was too difficult for you?

Apparently so, so here's a soft rubber ball to play with. Try not to hurt yourself too badly with it.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2018, 11:25:22 AM »
Go eat a Snickers.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2018, 11:36:51 AM »
And done.   :mad:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.