Author Topic: The worst gun ever made?  (Read 4340 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
The worst gun ever made?
« on: September 28, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »
The Zip .22

Never heard of it before this. Too bad it took down a better gun with it.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
Re: The worst gun ever made?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 07:34:45 PM »
So that's why I can't find USFA revolvers any more.   *expletive*

Forgotten Weapons also has a range video on the Zip 22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3fd4goVs-4

Gun Jesus actually managed to get it to fire 9 times in a row.  Miracle?

""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
I liked Ian's piece on the usual worst gun ever the chauchat. Turns out it was okay when used as designed and before government redesign demands.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 10:04:38 PM »
So that's why I can't find USFA revolvers any more.   *expletive*

Forgotten Weapons also has a range video on the Zip 22:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3fd4goVs-4

Gun Jesus actually managed to get it to fire 9 times in a row.  Miracle?

Only if he can do it while simultaneously walking on water.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 10:10:56 PM »
Kimber Ultra Carry II.
Hammer-following right out of the box, brand-new. Afraid it would go full-auto.
Sent back to Kimber.
Came back, Wouldn't feed.
Sent back
Still wouldn't feed.
Sold.
I will *never*, *EVER*, own another Kimber.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 10:39:41 PM »
I know, only a sample size of one but my Kimber Custom II has been stone cold reliable right out of the box.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 12:16:52 AM »
Kimber Ultra Carry II.
Sent back to Kimber.
Sent back
Still wouldn't feed.
Sold.
I could express similar sentiments about my Colt Mk IV Series 70 Government Model Jammamatic and Colt's laughable warranty NON-service . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 12:49:14 AM »
I know, only a sample size of one but my Kimber Custom II has been stone cold reliable right out of the box.

Yup, my Kimber Classic Custom has been darn near perfect.  Maybe the full-size models have better reliability.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2018, 01:15:14 AM »
Who cares about Kimber's pistols? I just hope the rifles are as good as they look, and that I can get about 87 of them.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2018, 01:22:43 AM »
NEW RIA 1911 .45 15 years ago.  Hammer following.  Disconnector burred.   Deburred it.  Perfect since.

PF9.  Two shots, third round would nosedive.  Ammo brand, bullet style, weight, didn't matter.  Nosedived third round.  Sent back, they say they did stuff, tested it, all OK.  Still would nosedive third shot, once again, ammo brand, bullet style, weight, didn't matter.  Called it my two-shot derringer with a handy compartment for extra ammo.  Full disclosure to next person, my son, but he says it worked perfectly.  Too small for my big hands?  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 01:34:53 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2018, 01:24:03 AM »
NEW RIA 1911 .45 15 years ago.  Hammer following.  Disconnector burred.   Deburred it.  Perfect since.

I had a less severe problem with mine, but an even easier fix. No problems since.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 09:22:31 AM »
Kimber Ultra Carry II.
Sent back to Kimber.
Sent back
Still wouldn't feed.
Sold.

A sample size of one gun, of a design that is known to be finnicky, and you dismiss the whole company?  Solid logic right there.

For the record, I own three Kimbers: a Pro Carry (series 1 in .40), a Custom in .45, and a 25th Anniversary edition in .45.   Since they are all based on the 1911 design, they have all had teething issues, but generally run well after I found the right magazine and ammo combination.  My Pro Carry was my first real pistol and that thing is awesome.  I took it to my first, real gun school at Front Sight nearly 20 years ago and it ran like a top. 

Even though I like all my Kimbers, I will not carry them as a CCW.  I have better guns for that use.  I do enjoy shooting those 1911s and would buy another Kimber if I was in the market for another 1911.

I also own two Springfield 1911s, although one is an EMP, so 1911-ish, and one S&W 9mm 1911, and finally one Nighthawk Talon II in .45.  I wouldn’t carry any of those guns as a CCW either, but they are fun to shoot.

Kimber quality was really good before they got too big and busy with orders, then their quality dropped way down.  I think they are back to building decent guns now.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2018, 09:43:23 AM »
Any 1911 step one is do not buy if the barrel isn't five inches. The shorter they get the dumber the barrel geometry and recoil assembly has to get to make them sorta work. Step two for kimbers, does it say Oregon on the side of it? If so, buy them all, if not, pass.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2018, 09:50:31 AM »
Compact 1911 designs are notoriously picky about ammo. I've personally witnessed someone spend more money on ammo than on the gun trying to find something his micro-pew would fire reliably.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 11:45:43 AM »
Compact 1911 designs are notoriously picky about ammo. I've personally witnessed someone spend more money on ammo than on the gun trying to find something his micro-pew would fire reliably.

Brad

My "solution" to that problem of spending a lot of money on testing  the "best" ammo (200 rounds recommended) was a compromise.  I keep a round of the "best" ammo in the chamber and the rest cheaper ammo which I have tested out.  All that first round has to do is fire and eject, no "testing" for feeding necessary.

Hey, I'm a cheapskate and willing to compromise.  This theory of operation might not be suitable for others.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 12:43:35 PM »
A sample size of one gun, of a design that is known to be finnicky, and you dismiss the whole company?  Solid logic right there.
I sent it back to the factory twice and they couldn't get it right. Done. For something I wanted to depend on, to defend myself and my daughter, and it never worked properly...?
Why would I put any trust in one?
Corollary - I have two Springfield 1911's one 9mm 4" one .45 ACP 4", not a single failure after thousands of rounds of ball and hp ammo from many different manufacturers. Granted, the Kimber was 3" barrel (IIRC).
Buy whatever you want, I'll do the same.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 12:57:40 PM »
Charter arms ar7. I bought it when I was in college and doing a lot of camping and canoeing on weekends.
I bought it as a cheap .22 plinker and because it would float.
I only sold it because I couldn't throw it in the river and watch it sink.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2018, 02:33:58 PM »
I bought a NIB AR7, took it to the range, aimed and slowly squeezed the trigger like I was taught to. Brarararararp! WTF??? Reload and retry. Same result. Snatch trigger back all the way next mag. Bang! Release trigger. Bang! HOLY HELL! Back to the store before I'm arrested with this dang thing! Swapped it for another one. It functioned as designed. Didn't keep it real long before I sold it as it did NOTHING well.

Later years, I acquired the pistol version of it. TOTAL CRAP. never again. Horrible ergonomics and other than looking "kinda" like a C-96, it had NO redeeming features!

Having said that, the worst functioning "gun" I ever owned was that Mac-10 looking .22 (Scorpion?). May as well have been a single shot and even THAT wasn't 100% reliable!

Intratec "Tec-22" Scorpion 22lr, I looked it up.

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2018, 02:46:57 PM »
Charter arms ar7. I bought it when I was in college and doing a lot of camping and canoeing on weekends.
I bought it as a cheap .22 plinker and because it would float.
I only sold it because I couldn't throw it in the river and watch it sink.

Since it has been brought up, I had a Charter AR7 for a few years in the '80s.  That was actually the first gun I ever bought.   (From Pennys' local retail location, believe it or not.)  Kind-a neat in the way it stowed, but didn't work real well.   It's long gone, and I don't really want the Henry version either.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2018, 03:36:12 PM »
Here's my nomination, the RG .22 revolver:

I actually shot one of these once... it actually did function, but the trigger pull was incredible.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 06:42:14 PM »
Ok, y'all convinced me to not judge a book by it's cover. Just bought a Kimber Custom 1911 govt size .45 ACP.
If it fails *once*, out the door it goes. No second chance.

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 06:44:46 PM »
Ok, y'all convinced me to not judge a book by it's cover. Just bought a Kimber Custom 1911 govt size .45 ACP.
It's gorgeous, though!

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2018, 07:14:04 PM »

New or used?  Do you have decent mags and ammo?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 07:23:44 PM »
New or used?  Do you have decent mags and ammo?
New Kimber Custom. Wilson Combat mags, Remington Golden Sabre.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 07:26:54 PM »
*chuckle* I learned to shoot on a Charter Arms AR 7. It was the only .22 Dad had when I was seven. We never had too many problems with ours, other than the standard it's a semi auto rimfire issues. I think that one finally crapped out on something. No big loss.

We got another one a few years ago, mostly for sentimental value. It's not like they're expensive or take up a lot of room in the cabinets. I honestly don't expect perfection out of something like that.

I've never owned a Kimber and have never been all that interested in them. The attitude of the company and a lot of the fanboi types owners puts me off. I had heard the quality went down when they started really marketing on PD guns. IDK, they always came off with a little of the current HK vibe which is you're paying more for the 'Kimber' etched on the slide than you are for the gun. I'll tolerate that with some things, but not a mid range 1911.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds