Author Topic: Using a cane  (Read 4665 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Using a cane
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
A piece 1/2" EMT (thinwall metal conduit) with a rubber tip added makes a nice sturdy cane, it's a lot stiffer than you would expect because of the short length.  And it's easy to cut to the exact length you need.  The trick is what to put on top for a handle.  I haven't figured that part out yet, but a doorknob works pretty good.
"It's good, though..."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
As an update, I bought one of the Cold Steel blackthorn and the African walking stick canes.  The cheapest price turned out to be ordering via Walmart online, since the total came to over $ 50, and that got me free shipping.  Shipping canes turns out to be surprisingly expensive.  I discovered that both of them take a 1" cane or crutch tip, and that makes a big difference in reducing the sliding of the hard polypropylene against the sidewalk.  I am using a piece of paracord as a wrist strap.  The knob-like grips work well for my large hands.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 12:01:37 PM »
I'm 5'7" (early in the morning, on a good day) with a 6'2" arm span.
I think I got cheated somewhere.

Were you an A-Ganger?   =D   ;)

bob

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 12:05:32 PM »
Were you an A-Ganger?   =D   ;)

bob

I was an ET. ESM and RADAR was my line.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cambeul41

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2015, 05:10:22 PM »
vaskidmark beat me to suggesting the https://www.lehmans.com/p-2331-hickory-livestock-canes.aspx?show=all cattle cane.  I keep one in each car.  I have been tempted to get a shepherd's cane/crook since the hook seems bigger and might work better for some of the neck hooking techniques on YouTube (which I am not agile enough to do anyway).

?It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.?
?Thomas Sowell

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2015, 03:29:08 AM »
Got called in to work last Sunday, spent 3.5ish hours crawling on a wet sidewalk clearing trench drains that clogged and flooded a building entry. At the end I could walk slowly and with only a mild limp if I was leaning on my cart, but without something to brace against I could only manage about 3" of forward movement from each leg and I couldn't stand up straight. Looks like I may need to keep a cane in the car for this sort of thing.  =(
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2015, 06:38:38 AM »
Got called in to work last Sunday, spent 3.5ish hours crawling on a wet sidewalk clearing trench drains that clogged and flooded a building entry. At the end I could walk slowly and with only a mild limp if I was leaning on my cart, but without something to brace against I could only manage about 3" of forward movement from each leg and I couldn't stand up straight. Looks like I may need to keep a cane in the car for this sort of thing.  =(

A cane in your car is as useful as a gun in your car when you are out and about.  After you hobble to your car where the cane is you will no longer be needing it - or at least not until you get to home or a Doc in the Box, whichever happens first.

You could consider a folding cane - while a bit long when folded and in a case/bag they stuff nicely in a cargo pocket, or you could just dump one in your toolbox/cart.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.