Author Topic: Using a cane  (Read 4676 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Using a cane
« on: May 17, 2014, 11:08:43 AM »
Almost 20 years ago, I crashed one of my road bicycles and fractured my left hip.  To this day, I have three stainless steel screws in my hip.  Just over the past year, I have noticed that with vigorous exercise, my left leg starts to hurt for a bit in terms of weight bearing.  I am especially noticing this now, with the good weather starting to happen in Seattle and me getting on the bicycle more.  I still had my aluminum crutches and cane back from my hip fracture, and I noticed that using the cane for a bit seemed to help. 

I am pondering getting one of these snazzy Cold Steel blackthorn canes:

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/91PBS/IRISH_BLACKTHORN_WALKING_STICK.aspx  and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this product or using a cane in general.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

220_SWIFT

• friend
Re: Using a cane
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 11:35:57 AM »
I have had a couple stints of using a cane, a walker as well.  This one looks good, but I would have only a couple concerns.  If you drop the cane, are you physically able to bend down and pick it up?  I found when I was using a cane, I could not do that.  So I had to have a cane that had a wrist strap.  If you can bend down and pick it up, then I wouldn't be too concerned about that.  Other concern would be the handle.  The round end will pivot in your hand.  If you have good wrist/hand strength, it shouldn't be too much of a concern.  My dad tried to use one like that after his back surgery, it was his fathers, and his arthritis in his hands prevented him from using it.  I let him borrow my cheap offset handle cane, and he was fine with it.  Just a few thoughts, good luck.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 12:22:09 PM »

Go all out. Rock that look.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 12:46:55 PM »
https://www.hurrycane.com/?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

My mother has been using the above, which despite being a TV advertised product is actually very decent.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 12:47:29 PM »
I like that hat! Perfect for your middle-aged bald white male!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »
Google "cane fighting" and then go down to the drug store and get yourself a good plain hickory crook-neck cane.  (Personally, I like & carry/use one of these cut down to size & shape  https://www.lehmans.com/p-2331-hickory-livestock-canes.aspx?show=all )  Instead of getting one of those fancy fighting canes  http://www.canemasters.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=48  you can file all the ridges you like by yourself, as well as removing a bit of the crook and sharpening the end to as much of a point as you like.

Wrist straps are good - but even more important is figuring out how to keep it from falling/sliding off tables/desks/chair backs and the like.  So far the best I have found are those clip-on flat disk types with some tacky rubber from a dashboad hold-it pad.  http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=dashboard+cell+phone+mat&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=30895859901&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=48849493034179483&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_87j2ne8ed4_b

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 02:02:36 PM »
Just the thing for when somebody steps on the tail of your coat  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 04:32:53 PM »
Get a multi-purpose cane:

http://www.coldsteelarizona.com/p/1/heavy-duty-sword-cane

First, make sure it's legal in your state.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 04:37:23 PM »
Almost 20 years ago, I crashed one of my road bicycles and fractured my left hip.  To this day, I have three stainless steel screws in my hip.  Just over the past year, I have noticed that with vigorous exercise, my left leg starts to hurt for a bit in terms of weight bearing.  I am especially noticing this now, with the good weather starting to happen in Seattle and me getting on the bicycle more.  I still had my aluminum crutches and cane back from my hip fracture, and I noticed that using the cane for a bit seemed to help. 

I am pondering getting one of these snazzy Cold Steel blackthorn canes:

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/91PBS/IRISH_BLACKTHORN_WALKING_STICK.aspx  and I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this product or using a cane in general.

I can see one being helpful, in the not too distant future.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 05:08:13 PM »
They help considerable when you have mobility issues. Cane Masters sells unfinished versions of their "fighting canes" on eBay for a lot less than their finished examples.  I bought one and finished it with gun stock refinishing stuff I already had on hand. I also bought an octagonal cane from some outfit that sells livestock supplies and finished it with the same stuff. They sell it as a shepherd's crook and I did trim off a bit of the crook part.   What would be sweet is if Cold Steel would bring back the "pistol grip" model of their City Stick. I have one of the original stainless steel ball-topped versions, and it is splendid for breaking heads, but isn't much for actually helping a fellow walk.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 05:52:13 PM »
220_SWIFT:

If you drop the cane, are you physically able to bend down and pick it up?

I'm glad someone mentioned this, which is getting to be a problem for me. I have several canes, and I prefer the wooden hooked-handle type --it's one of those "YMMV" things and just happens to handle well for me.  I can hang it on my off arm when not being used, or hang it on a store counter when counting out my change, etc.

But I was trying to figure out a way to affix a lanyard to it or a magnet or something without making it look all gadgety or drilling holes in it.

On a whim, I bought one of those more-or-less "gag" type sword canes with an SAA-style pot metal pistol grip.  Have to take five or six turns on the pistol grip to get it out of the case, or "scabbard," if you will.  Worse than an ankle holster for actual deployment.

Ticks me off no end that I can't carry it (or a defensive knife) on the street, but I can carry a loaded gun or even two of them if I want.

Lawmakers have a collective IQ of about 10 by my estimate.

And I'm feeling generous today.

Terry
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:09:08 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »
I use a cane every day.  If the cane is to be useful you have to transfer weight from the weakened appendage to your arm/hand.  Don't dismiss the importance of a cushioned hand.  When I was sentenced to using a cane I thought I'd like to have something like a shillelaghs.  I quickly found out functionality reigns over style.   I settled on a $30 CVS adjustable aluminum cane.  Not so stylish but it is functional.  I would like to look like Brad Pitt waltzing round with a bodacious carved cane or silver top knot.  Functionality in my case is all important.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2014, 08:38:25 PM »
Lawmakers have a collective IQ of about 10 by my estimate.

Far too generous.

I'm reduced to dodering with a cane when my back goes out on me, (like it did today in the middle of a sailboat race, we still finished 1st.)
Mine is just a very old wooden crookneck cane, probably hickory. I'm not even sure how it came into my possesion. It had some kind of crappy looking painted finish. I sanded it down and applied a little mahogany stain and 6 coats of boiled linseed oil.
Change out the rubber tip every year or so and good to go.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2014, 10:45:19 PM »
^ Heh.  Similar story with my favorite. Lucked out.  Right height, weight, crook radius.  Refinished it a couple of years ago.  I stuck a label on it with name, phone number, and a poignant plea to call if found.

After I sanded all the paint off it, it sure looked like hickory.

Funny:  One of my favoritest friends from work gave me a set of cane tips for Christmas one time... no kiddin'.

One thing was pointed out to me at work was that I used to push the building elevator buttons with it, and someone mentioned that maybe that wasn't the most sanitary thing in the world for the next person who pushes the button.  Certainly a valid point, so I quit doing that, and I thanked the pointer-out-of-it.

(Maybe I ain't so smart as I think I are.)

(Not the same party who gave me the cane tips.)

(End of parenthetical remarks.)

Terry

« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 11:07:35 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2014, 10:49:45 PM »
I had an adjustable aluminum cane for when my back goes out, but Wife "loaned" it to one of her friends a few years ago and I haven't seen it since.  The good thing is I haven't really needed it. 

I bought a wooden "stock cane" at Tractor Supply this winter because company where I work has mostly quit maintaining the parking lots and sidewalks in winter to save money (seems like false economy to me) and they've been too slippery to walk on a few times without some kind of assist.  I did have to add a rubber tip.  I don't know if it's hickory or what, but it's got just the right heft to it.  (swish!)
"It's good, though..."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 11:03:27 PM »
(swish!)

Yes, there are other uses for canes.    [popcorn]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 06:59:35 PM »
What is considered to be the correct length of a cane? I'm thinking mine may be a little on the long side.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 07:13:57 PM »
A friend of mine has two artificial hips (degenerative bone disease) so I made her a cane as a gift.
Hand-carved oak T-handle
Carbon fiber shaft using a structural CFRP tube
Aluminum end with modular (spice spike, rubber cover, etc) tips.
Whole thing weighed almost nothing, it became her "distance" cane.

Looked beautiful, and you couldn't bend it even over your knee.

Ironically, i will likely be building myself one in the not so distant future.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2014, 08:18:52 PM »
What is considered to be the correct length of a cane? I'm thinking mine may be a little on the long side.

Maybe you're too short  :lol:

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »
Maybe you're too short  :lol:

I'm 5'7" (early in the morning, on a good day) with a 6'2" arm span.
I think I got cheated somewhere.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2014, 08:57:28 PM »

Standing as straight as you can, measure from the ground to your wrist, then add 1 inch.  If you ar going to use a rubber end cap it will add another 1 inch, but do not cut short yet.

Try out the length with a piece of scrap and see if you are forced to bend over.  If so, add in 1-inch increments.

You should be able to hold the cane in your hand and have your wrist just slightly bent so as to comfortably take the weight.  All the PT folks I have discussed it with say you should have the cane on the side opposite the one needing support, and it should hit the ground, taking the weight, as your weak-side leg strikes the ground.  Since that puts my cane in my right hand I have the cane in my left side and it swings with that leg.  Rather have it that way than need to decide to drop my cane and draw or stay upright and try to shift hands.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2014, 08:59:05 PM »
I'm 5'7" (early in the morning, on a good day) with a 6'2" arm span.
I think I got cheated somewhere.

There is nothing wrong with dragging your knuckles.  Some of us take pride in doing so. :O

stay safe.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »
Standing as straight as you can, measure from the ground to your wrist, then add 1 inch.  If you ar going to use a rubber end cap it will add another 1 inch, but do not cut short yet.

Try out the length with a piece of scrap and see if you are forced to bend over.  If so, add in 1-inch increments.

You should be able to hold the cane in your hand and have your wrist just slightly bent so as to comfortably take the weight.  All the PT folks I have discussed it with say you should have the cane on the side opposite the one needing support, and it should hit the ground, taking the weight, as your weak-side leg strikes the ground.  Since that puts my cane in my right hand I have the cane in my left side and it swings with that leg.  Rather have it that way than need to decide to drop my cane and draw or stay upright and try to shift hands.

stay safe.

I'll try the measurement method, thanks.

I knew about the which side thing from a short 6 month stint on crutches after I blew out my knee.
Since I'm using it to add stability because of back pain I'm not sure it matters what side I use but I thend to keep it in my right hand since my left has some arthritis and nerve issues.

There is nothing wrong with dragging your knuckles.  Some of us take pride in doing so. :O

stay safe.

I've won many bets over my arm span Vs. height.

Samuel Adams

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2014, 10:07:02 AM »

The main reason for a cane is to clothesline one of the 350lb+ cows off the electric carts at the grocery store so you can use one for your actual handicap.

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 10:28:40 AM »
I looked over several examples of that Cold Steel polymer blackthorn at the last gun show I attended. Can't recommend it as a walking cane. The knob at the top is too big. The cane is too heavy. It's ugly, too. It looks like a plastic replica, not a real blackthorn. I guess it'd be okay as a bludgeon, but so would many other things. If you want a blackthorn, seek out a real one. Years back, I had one of the real ones CS imported and it was great. Lent it to friend when he got injured and lost it when his house burnt down.  =(
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.