Author Topic: Checking Oil on Newer Vehicles  (Read 1419 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Checking Oil on Newer Vehicles
« on: November 01, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »
Does anyone else here besides me have a hard time seeing the oil level on the dipstick of newer vehicles? On both my 14 4Runner  and my 16 F-150, I have a hell of a time seeing where the level is. On both of them, oil seems to migrate well up the stick, and makes it really hard for me to see where the actual oil level is. Doesn't matter if they sit overnight or whatever. And before anyone asks, no, they're not overfilled.

It was the same with my 08 diesel F250, but my 02 F-150 and my 00 Trooper, as well as all previous vehicles, were really easy to read. There was always a clean delineation where the oil level was. Anyone else see this on their newer vehicles? I wonder if it has to do with thinner oil or with engine design?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Checking Oil on Newer Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 10:33:28 AM »
Subarus are notorious pains in the ass as to that regard.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 10:38:47 AM »
Not just newer vehicles; I have a 2007 Silverado and a 2007 Tahoe - both hard to read as you describe.

Maybe it's a standard Chevy feature for all post 2000 models...
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »
The dirtier it is, the more easier to see.
I check mine with a paper towel. Pull stick and wipe clean, reinsert and pull again and lay it against a clean part of the paper towel and it will be obvious when you move the stick a little.
The model t ford had no oil dipstick. It had 2 petcocks instead. If oil ran out of the top one when opened it was good. The bottom was for draining out.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:59:30 AM »
On my Toyota, which runs 0w - 20: I pull out the dipstick, wipe it clean, reinsert it, pull it again and have to look for the oil level in the glare by looking at the dipstick at a sharp angle

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 11:18:38 AM »
I run my vehicles w/o oil. I saving all the environmentz!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
My BMW doesn't have a dipstick.  You just ask it in the infotainment, and it will measure the oil level and give you a percentage.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 02:17:38 PM »
Yes 0W/20 is hard to see.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 02:24:30 PM »
My BMW doesn't have a dipstick.  You just ask it in the infotainment, and it will measure the oil level and give you a percentage.

I was initially horrified, but then realized that he could easily plot out oil consumption over time and easily tell you if it's increasing.  Kind of a neat side effect.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 02:37:17 PM »
I was initially horrified, but then realized that he could easily plot out oil consumption over time and easily tell you if it's increasing.  Kind of a neat side effect.

Chris

To be honest, I'd be kind of surprised if it doesn't already plot that.

Not having a dipstick in favor of a sensor makes sense, though. We already have that with the fuel.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »
Not having a dipstick in favor of a sensor makes sense, though. We already have that with the fuel.

It would help those who don't want to check their oil regularly.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
I can see the advantage of an electronic oil gauge, but do they save that much by eliminating the stick? Or is there some other benefit to eliminating it?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »
I can see the advantage of an electronic oil gauge, but do they save that much by eliminating the stick? Or is there some other benefit to eliminating it?

Probably something to do with engine sealing or engine compartment optimization.

Chris

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 03:29:02 PM »

Chris

I was initially horrified as well, but then I rethought it.  The car is always monitoring oil level for me, so if someone doesn't, or I forget to check it's no big deal.  It does, in fact, track consumption and report it to the dealer when they plug in their fancy computer.  Also, for the non-mechanically inclined, it refuses to give you an oil level until the oil is warm, (if you ask it when cold, it just tells you to drive around more) and the car is level.  So I'm probably getting more accurate levels.

It's still kinda weird to me though.

Quote from: fistful

No idea.  Could just be Germans being German.  "Nein!!  You no check oil.  Car will tell you if it needs more.  We hate you!"

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 09:02:03 PM »
Plus dipsticks used to be made of shiny metal, now they are made of a dark anodized typed metal.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 09:28:46 PM »
You can air pencil stipple the appropriate area of the stick or drill a series of small holes up the center to help you see the oil.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 06:48:33 AM »
Subaru has small holes at the high and low marks.

Doesn't help much.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 07:28:09 AM »
On my Airbus I check the oil level from the cockpit.  Going outside to get cold, wet, and dirty is for First Officers.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 07:39:35 AM »
On my Airbus I check the oil level from the cockpit.  Going outside to get cold, wet, and dirty is for First Officers.

Thread drift.  How do turbine engines lubricate?  Wet sump and pump like piston? Dry sump (that seems like it would be less susceptible to angle of attack changes.  They have much higher RPM so it seems like they should lubricate that main rotor in a fairly bulletproof way.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 10:24:53 AM »
Thread drift.  How do turbine engines lubricate?  Wet sump and pump like piston? Dry sump (that seems like it would be less susceptible to angle of attack changes.  They have much higher RPM so it seems like they should lubricate that main rotor in a fairly bulletproof way.

Well, it is complicated, and... uh... then..... I don’t know.  I only fly the damn things.

Looks like wet sump to me.  Here is the engine that we run:  http://www.pw.utc.com/V2500_Engine

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 03:10:45 PM »
Well, Pratt and Whitney has a pretty informative website.  Self-contained recirculating lubrication system.  With some kind of pressurized air bearing seal system so there are air/oil separators and a scavenge pump and system for the bleed and vent air.  Pretty cool.  I would have been surprised by a wet sump as those are pretty sensitive to negative G's.  There doesn't appear to be a dipstick, but there is a sight glass.

This book is pretty cool.  Lubrication systems start on Page 73.

Oh Look, Squirrel!