Author Topic: Considering a new (to me) rifle  (Read 4181 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Considering a new (to me) rifle
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2013, 10:15:48 PM »
Oh, and this year will be very much experimental with the hunt.  If all goes well (e.g. nobody drownes, and we don't lose half our stuff in the rivers) it will possibly become our annual hunt location/method.  The 8-10 GMU's in that area ar all open for general season modern firearm elk hunting.  As a bonus all those rivers are open for salmon during elk season.  Cast-n-blast!
Formerly sumpnz

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2013, 10:17:27 PM »
No worries.  You new-ish here and haven't gotten to know all of us just yet.

Depending on the money situation I might have to still take the CZ on this trip.  A bore snake, rag, and a can of Corrosion-X and it would probably be OK.

Wood stock, eh?  Don't forget to remove the bbl & action & other metal from the stock and use a sealer on the inside of the stock.  Naval spar varnish has been traditional.  Same thing under the butt plate. Then paste auto wax the entire stock.  Then what you  wrote for the metal bits.  That worked for my perfectly sucky Rem700ADL stock.  It remained perfectly sucky despite several days' soaking, but did not take on any water & swell.

===============

You dirty rats.   I had forgotten how heartbroken I was to miss out on the last batch of CG63 rifles brought back.  Boy, I wanted one of them bad.

As for the OP, I would suggest a used Ruger All Weather in .30-06 and stoke with 220gr pills.  Also come in .300Winmag and .338Winmag if'n you can find one.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2013, 10:30:06 PM »
Johnson's pastewax is the old school gun preservative of old duck hunters.

http://www.pledge.com/en-US/Products/Pages/paste-wax.aspx
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536