Author Topic: Considering a new (to me) rifle  (Read 4182 times)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Considering a new (to me) rifle
« on: February 25, 2013, 10:00:41 PM »
My buddy from when I worked at Boeing and I are working on plans for our 2013 elk season.  In broad strokes, we intend to float down some rivers in the southern portion of the Olympic Peninsula.  I'm working on a dry-bag for the gun (found one option commercially, might DIY one though).  But, even with a good dry-bag I kinda reluctant to take my blued, walnut stocked CZ-550 (9.3x62). 

So I am thinking about getting a stainless, synthetic stocked rifle.  I really like Mauser style actions, and just have a thing for oddball calibers.  But a ton of money I do not have.

Suggestions?

I do have a Turk T38 Mauser that would an option as a project (out of headspace right now). It's cheap enough that if it did get ruined I wouldn't cry for too long.
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Considering a new (to me) rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28:30 PM »
What is your recoil tolerance? .300 RUM is becoming a popular elk cartridge, a factory rifle and w/scope will produce about 40# of recoil force. A .30-06 is 25# in the similar package.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 10:31:40 PM »
What about a .35 Whelen barrel for the Turk and then try one of the coatings on the whole barreled action?

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 11:12:34 PM »
What about a .35 Whelen barrel for the Turk and then try one of the coatings on the whole barreled action?

jim

That might work!  Or maybe a 9.3x62 barrel?  One less caliber to load for if that's doable. 

charby - The 9.3 is more recoil than I can enjoy off a bench rest.  Hunting shots it's no nevermind, of course.  That launches 286 grains at 2400 fps.
Formerly sumpnz

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 11:29:57 PM »
What about a .338-06? Build that on the turk.

http://quarterbore.com/library/articles/33806.html

A friend has one and its a joy to shoot.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:23:50 AM »
Why not one of these in .338 WM?
http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAllWeather/models.html

Probably cost about the same as a Turk Mauser project when its all said and done.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:38:52 AM »
Yeah, it's looking like a solid $300 for a new  CroMo barrel, plus install - more for stainless.  I can get a synthetic stock for $70 that claims (heh) no inletting needed.  Fitting and finish, irons, etc and $700 would be easy to spend.

I'm thinking about seeing what the LGS has on hand.  Didn't notice anything interesting on THR or GRM or Seattleguns.net's classified sections.  What's a used synth/stainless rifle likely to go for these days?

Formerly sumpnz

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:13:09 AM »
If you are looking for new to you (used) guns, you may want to try and find one of those boat oar, stainless Rugers. There is a LGS over here that still has a decent selection of hunting rifles. I could take a look at them if you wanted and let you know what they have.

bob

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:13:59 AM »
Yeah, it's looking like a solid $300 for a new  CroMo barrel, plus install - more for stainless.  I can get a synthetic stock for $70 that claims (heh) no inletting needed.  Fitting and finish, irons, etc and $700 would be easy to spend.

I was considering converting a worn out Turk to 6.5x55 SWE for my son, even with an action and barrel on hand, its still cheaper to buy new. I might get that project going in a few years when he's big enough for an adult stock.

Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:20:59 AM »
I love my 6.5x55.  FWIW, 6.5mm bullets are still fairly common around here.  While the 7mm, 30cal, etc bullets are picked over (except for the very odd weights), the 6.5mm section was fairly well stocked.  Primers and powder are tough, but if you already load rifle, you probably have that.  I saw 6.5x55 factory ammo on the shelf, surrounded by empty slots where "normal" calibers would normally sit.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 08:43:39 AM »
I have thousands of 6.5mm bullets and at least 500 pieces of brass  ;)

I use RL-22 and 139-142gr bullets for my loads. I can still find RL-22 in my area- just bought another can last night.

I have a pretty decent collection of Swedish military rifles but I can't bring myself to sporterize one of them.

Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 08:51:06 AM »
What load are you using with RL-22 and those bullet weights?  I can't seem to get RL22 and 140gr Sierra Gamekings to shoot, at least not the last time I went out.  My Varget load typically does .4-.7" depending on my shooting that day (last session gave me a .22" 5-shot group), but RL22 loads are nowhere close.  I'd be fine with Varget, but I keep hearing how great RL22 is for the 6.5x55.

The gun is a Winchester Featherweight.

As for RL22 availability, the last time I saw it on the shelf was before Christmas. 

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 09:21:45 AM »
 What's a used synth/stainless rifle likely to go for these days?

Sans the glass, anywhere from $400-1000 depending upon the manufacturer.

I know the dealer cost on a new stainless synthetic stocked Rem 700 in 300 RUM is $620.

Also stainless firearms will rust, you still need to keep them oiled and wiped down when wet.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »
What load are you using with RL-22 and those bullet weights?  I can't seem to get RL22 and 140gr Sierra Gamekings to shoot, at least not the last time I went out.  My Varget load typically does .4-.7" depending on my shooting that day (last session gave me a .22" 5-shot group), but RL22 loads are nowhere close.  I'd be fine with Varget, but I keep hearing how great RL22 is for the 6.5x55.

Start at 43.0 and work up to 47.0 (careful! 47.0 is going to be a hot load) Somewhere around 46.5gr should give you an accurte load.
 46.3gr and a 140 gr SMK or SGK has been very accurate in my swedes, but I had the bolt stick on my M41B once (after shooting hundreds of this load) so I backed off a grain- just not worth it in a 100 year old relic.

For some odd reason the 6.5x55 likes slow powders like RL-22, 4350, and 4891. This goes double for cast loads- its fairly difficult to get them to shoot well with pistol powders and get any kind of respectable velocity- I use a plinking load with unique and 123gr cast bullets at about 1200fps, most of my others shoot good up to 1700-1800 fps with 2400 and 4227 but the 6.5s don't like these powders for me, anything much faster in the swedes, you need a rifle powder.

Barack Obama

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 10:17:09 AM »
That was the range I was working with.  I was using fresh brass though.  I'm going to reload the now once-fired brass and try it again.

Chris

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 10:34:52 AM »
FWIW, I was getting 1.75-2" groups at 200 yards with the M41B- which was good enough for me considering the gear.
I remember conversing with Wildalaska about 10 years ago on THR about M41B loads, he was getting about 1/2MOA with RL-22 and lapua scenars iirc.
Your Winny is undoubtedly capable of much better accuracy than what I'm shooting.

Barack Obama

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 07:13:06 PM »
M41B?

Sweet!

I'd kill for a CG-63, myself...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

brimic

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 09:05:53 PM »
M41B?

Sweet!

I'd kill for a CG-63, myself...
I'D like one of those too.
The m41b is fun to shoot,kind pf wish i would have bought a few more, but the price was hard to justify when they were available. Funny how it always works that way.

Barack Obama

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 10:47:15 PM »
<snip>
 my blued,walnut stocked CZ-550 (9.3x62). 
 <snip>
So I just have a thing for oddball calibers. 
 <snip>
You sure as hell do...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 10:55:23 PM »
If you are looking for new to you (used) guns, you may want to try and find one of those boat oar, stainless Rugers. There is a LGS over here that still has a decent selection of hunting rifles. I could take a look at them if you wanted and let you know what they have.

bob

Let me see what is available locally first.  Thanks for the offer though.  I may well take you up on that later.

I'm also, perhaps, willing to consider something like a .45-70 lever gun.  Long range is not a requiremnt for this hunt.
Formerly sumpnz

brimic

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »
You sure as hell do...

I don't think its that odd- the local cabelas sold a ton of Husqvarnas over the last few years in that chambering.

Barack Obama

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 09:11:41 PM »
What did the CZ do to you that you woulndn't take it hunting. It's a rifle, dammit, and a good one! So it might get it's hair mussed. It's a TOOL. You have a thing for odd calibers, why not see what the 9.3 will do? It's made for medium/ heavy game @ muzzle to medium range, no?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 09:38:58 PM »
What did the CZ do to you that you woulndn't take it hunting. It's a rifle, dammit, and a good one! So it might get it's hair mussed. It's a TOOL. You have a thing for odd calibers, why not see what the 9.3 will do? It's made for medium/ heavy game @ muzzle to medium range, no?

I'm certainly not afraid of taking it hunting, dude.  It's been my primary elk rifle for the last 6 years.  But this year's hunt will be different.  I'll be using ky kayak to access some pretty remote places.  The odds that gun will wind up immersed in a river are high.  And depending on where exactly that happens brackish water is also very possible to be what it gets immersed in.  If a gun is going to have that happen to it, I'd kinda rather it was one far less expensive to replace.
Formerly sumpnz

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2013, 09:43:35 PM »
Understood. Didn't mean to come of snarky. Mea Culpa. It just sounded like a hunt of a lifetime & I didn't grasp why you wouldn't take what sounded like a long time companion.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2013, 10:11:01 PM »
No worries.  You new-ish here and haven't gotten to know all of us just yet.

Depending on the money situation I might have to still take the CZ on this trip.  A bore snake, rag, and a can of Corrosion-X and it would probably be OK.
Formerly sumpnz