Author Topic: Well I held my nose and voted today.  (Read 10900 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Well I held my nose and voted today.
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 07:51:54 AM »
Well, at least FDR didn't try to pack the Supreme Court with friendly judges, like Bush did!

grin
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 08:35:48 AM »
You can donate all of YOUR money to any ol' charity you like.  Stay the hell away from mine.

This is actually correct.  The Democrats are only compassionate with other people's money.

So. Freaking. True.

I recall when Algore/ManBearPig released his 1997 tax return(1) and he had donated the princely sum of ~$400 to charity(2) on ~$200K in income.  After advocating tax hikes on everybody else.
http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/04/15/gore.taxes/

What is true in the particular (Algore) is also true in the general: conservatives give more to charity than liberals:

...religious conservatives are far more charitable than secular liberals, and that those who support the idea that government should redistribute income are among the least likely to dig into their own wallets to help others.

* Conservative households in America donate 30% more money to charity each year than liberal households, even in spite of lower average incomes

* Conservatives are also more generous in other ways, such as blood donations, and volunteer work. In fact, if liberals gave blood like conservatives do, the blood supply in the U.S. would jump by about 45%

* People who mistrust big government give more than those who rely on the government to take care of the poor. This includes giving and volunteering even to traditionally "progressive causes" such as the arts and the environment

* Conservative "red" states give away far more of their incomes than liberal "blue" states do

* Religious people give away four times more money each year than secularists. This is not just because of giving to churches - religious people are 10 percent more likely than secularists to give money to explicitly nonreligious charities

* Religious people are far more generous than secularists with their time. For instance, a religious person is 57% more likely than a secularist to help a homeless person

* Religious people are also more generous in informal ways, such as giving money to family members, and behaving honestly

* A working poor family without welfare support gives, on average, more than three times as much money to charity each year as a family with the same total income that receives welfare support. In other words, poverty does not discourage charity in America -- but welfare does

* People raised in intact and religious families are more charitable than those who are not. For instance, married parents are 9 percentage points more likely to give money than divorced parents, and 29 points more likely than never-married parents

* Charitable giving spurs the economy: at the national level, a $1 increase in giving per person stimulates a $19 increase in GDP per capita

* Americans give far more money and are far more likely to volunteer their time than citizens of any European country. For example, the average American family gives three and a half times as much as a French family, seven times as much as a German family, and 14 times as much as an Italian family

* Charitable giving and volunteering improve physical health and happiness, and lead to better citizenship -- whereheas many government policies that discourage private charitable behavior have negative effects

(1) I am not particularly in favor of policritters releasing such documents, even if this one time it did manage to spank Algore on the johnson.

(2) I am in favor of social pressure to donate to charity, but vehemtly against using the law for suchj or raising taxes so that policritters can toss around more dollars.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tecumseh

• friend
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 08:55:40 AM »
Thank for the links Jfruser.  However I will review and critique them later.  Without a real review (I am strapped for time) I would ask if the fact that governments in blue states often have better welfare programs than red states and if that is why the people in blue states do less for those in need.

Either way I look forward to reading it.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 09:57:56 AM »
FDR at least had one thing right - A lot of the NRA buildings, etc., were pretty cool. Work, get paid. Not sit on your butt, get paid...

FWIW, a friend of mine used to be mayor in a county seat. He was irritated that they'd get a lot of welfare folks move in, because it was the source of the "services," and had a reputation for being "better" than surrounding counties/cities...

Sigh...

Blog under construction

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 11:41:35 AM »
Just to clear up any confusion:  I think by NRA, he refers to the National Reconstruction Act.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 03:23:14 PM »
The NRA that held Nuremberg-like rallies and was run by a guy who hung up a portrait of Mussolini in his office and whose symbol was a brooding blue eagle.

The NRA that prosecuted and jailed a launderer for charging something like $0.39 for pressing a shirt for a guy in a hurry when the NRA-mandated price control was ~$0.35.

The NRA that was admired by both Mussolini and the sawed-off Austrian corporal.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 03:33:16 PM »
Well, the buildings and monuments and stuff were kinda cool, and put a lot of folks to work. Remember - we were in a depression.

Of course, Bush was probably into it somewhere too...

Blog under construction

Paddy

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 03:45:18 PM »
National Recovery Act.  Can we start bashing Teddy Roosevelt now? After all, he did breakup big business monopolies under the Sherman Antitrust law, so I'm sure he was a communist, too.

Oh, wait.  The Russian Revolution hadn't happened yet.

Sheesh.  Mention FDR and the kneejerk foaming at the mouth vitriolic spittle just flys around here.  rolleyes

Iain

• friend
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 04:10:03 PM »
So aside from the substantive criticism of jailing a guy for 4 cents - was there anything more than a Godwin in that post?
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 04:31:36 PM »
National Recovery Act.  Can we start bashing Teddy Roosevelt now? After all, he did breakup big business monopolies under the Sherman Antitrust law, so I'm sure he was a communist, too.

Don't make me break out my bully pulpit, Riley. I may still write Teddy in for this election....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 07:16:46 PM »
  Mention FDR and the kneejerk foaming at the mouth vitriolic spittle just flys around here.  rolleyes 

Does anyone else find that just terribly funny, considering the source?   cheesy