Author Topic: Hats.  (Read 19349 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Hats.
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2011, 05:38:44 PM »
I have an older L.L. Bean ragg wool touring cap with ear flaps. Toasty, but they don't make it anymore.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2011, 06:07:56 PM »
When all you warm folks are dieing of some nasty mosquito borne illness I'll happily be out plowing snow, hat or no.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2011, 06:52:56 PM »
Errr... Mrs.Smith...

Didn't you just happen to move to a location that has heavy SNOW in the winter?

>:D

I'll be sure to remind you to move to a warm clime should you complain about winter chill....
 :angel:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2011, 08:37:49 PM »
Do keep up, she has re-escaped to sunny Jacksonville Florida, a nice town that harbors 76.9% of Florida's rednecks.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »
Do keep up, she has re-escaped to sunny Jacksonville Florida, a nice town that harbors 76.9% of Florida's rednecks.  =D
:facepalm:
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2011, 08:56:49 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2011, 09:34:17 PM »
I was thinking about getting one of these since I will be open carrying my Tokarev in MI.

http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Soviet-Military-Cossack-Ushanka/dp/B002Y41WJ8

The title of that listing makes me want to beat the seller senseless with a large fish.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2011, 10:00:01 PM »
The title of that listing makes me want to beat the seller senseless with a large fish.

There's a man selling the new Russian digital camouflage as a "Yudashkin jacket".
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2011, 10:53:32 PM »
There's a man selling the new Russian digital camouflage as a "Yudashkin jacket".
Now, that there is downright funny.  =D
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2011, 04:17:36 PM »

Actually, I never thought to clarify, but I'm not really in Jacksonville - in fact, much further from it than I actually thought. I'm 3.8 miles north of St. Augustine on A1A. Takes me 10 minutes to get into downtown St. Aug, almost an hour to get to downtown Jax. Or would if I actually went there, which I haven't yet. But if any of y'all find yourselves in this area, the door is open. Bring ears though. Waves crashing on the beach all night makes it hard to sleep sometimes.

And I'll take a group of rednecks over a group of metrosexual yuppies any day of the week.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2011, 04:18:55 PM »
Classic hat for when the fedora isn't cutting it ear wise.

Made in America for over a century.

http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/caps/original-stormy-kromer-cap

"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »
Ball cap for most occasions.  Hard to find one that fits just right. Have a small smattering of these (one is required for work).
Knit acrylic/wool thick stocking cap for cold/ below cold conditions. Have a few (one with work logo).
Fedora for rare occasions, black wool.  Matches my trench coat and pea coat nicely, warm, stylish.
Bowler for extremely rare occasions.  I look awesome in it and have worn it exactly once.  And no, not with a wifebeater, sports jacket, and tie. =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2011, 04:27:22 PM »
Waves crashing on the beach all night makes it hard to sleep sometimes.

That would be music to the ears.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »
Classic hat for when the fedora isn't cutting it ear wise.

Made in America for over a century.

http://www.stormykromer.com/mens/caps/original-stormy-kromer-cap

I wore one like that for many winters.  =)

Still have it but it's pretty grungy now and the earflaps were never much good in my opinion.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2011, 07:35:06 PM »
Trouble is that most places where it is warm all year have too dam many freaking people  :mad:

Yup. That's why I'm retiring somewhere in interior Alaska where the winters drive out all but the hardiest of riff-raff.

Here's mine. It's the first one in the second pic before it was shipped to me. Made from elk skin and beaver with a polar fleece liner. It's too hot to wear unless it's about 20* F or colder.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/44060-fur-hat-pattern-pieces-and-hat-pics?highlight=fur+hats

Of course since you are going to be out and about in the Philly area at night and even Detroit for that matter this might be what you are looking for........

http://store.redskins.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=345&catID=23
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 07:50:54 PM by stevelyn »
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2011, 07:48:52 PM »
Ball cap for most occasions.  Hard to find one that fits just right. Have a small smattering of these (one is required for work).
Knit acrylic/wool thick stocking cap for cold/ below cold conditions. Have a few (one with work logo).
Fedora for rare occasions, black wool.  Matches my trench coat and pea coat nicely, warm, stylish.
Bowler for extremely rare occasions.  I look awesome in it and have worn it exactly once.  And no, not with a wifebeater, sports jacket, and tie. =D

My Glock baseball hat recently died. I might be able to fix it without it looking stupid, but losing a 'perfect' ballcap is a sad occasion.
I probably will soon be on a hunt for a new one.

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #66 on: December 04, 2011, 09:43:49 AM »
In Detroit, a ball cap worn backwards or with the bill to the side will be ok.  Any other hat will make you "bait".  In Philly, anything with pink on it will do just fine.....chris3

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2011, 09:10:26 PM »
The baseball cap I wear when shooting is made by Sperry (boat shoes) and on the back is embroidered, "Get Wet!"

I hear a lot of snickers behind me when it's my turn up, but no comments to my face.  =D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #68 on: December 04, 2011, 09:24:42 PM »

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #69 on: December 04, 2011, 09:37:55 PM »
Probably the cutest picture of you yet.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2011, 09:49:26 PM »
Indeed.  A sharp contrast from your usual "I'm about to kill everything in this room, including the room itself" photogenic demeanor.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2011, 09:50:40 PM »
Probably the cutest picture of you yet.

Pretty low-hanging fruit
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »
Indeed.  A sharp contrast from your usual "I'm about to kill everything in this room, including the room itself" photogenic demeanor.

Yes, this.  =D
Andy

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2011, 09:58:44 PM »

He looks like a happy version of The Soldier from Team Fortress 2, except he has a Jayne hat instead of a helmet.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2011, 10:16:56 PM »
Pretty low-hanging fruit

QFT. It isn't like there are numerous options to choose from that aren't scary in nature.