Author Topic: If I Never Hear These Classic Rock Groups/Songs Again It Will Be Too Soon  (Read 29206 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
"It feels like the first time" but its really the three billion nine hundredth and sixty second time.

Amen, brother, Amen! I would climb any mountain to avoid another playing of that.

What, 'Journey' did not make the band from hell list?  I think we need to clamp some headphones on you and play 'Wheel in the Sky' continuously for 24 hours or so.

Oh, if I had made it s top ten list, Journey would be on it for sure and don't stop believin' that!

I don't know who sings "Blinded by the Light"

Hey, this is a "I don't wanna hear that decent group/song that has been overplayed WAY too much" thread, not a "sucky group/song" thread.  The latter is too easy, and when Manfred Mann walks into a room, hoovers, dysons, and eurekas bow down before their better.

Anyways, I assume you refer to Manfred Mann's version, not Bruce Springsteen's original (which gets ZERO play that I can figure).  Yes, MM's does get me to cut loose like a deuce to flip the station.

And can someone add Van Morrison to that dang list.  :facepalm: I can't get away from him even on 106.1.

OK, I can see where some would feel that way, but Van Morrison does not send me flying to change the preset.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Declaration Day

• friends
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:34:27 AM by Declaration Day »

roo_ster

• friend
I'd like to nominate Rush for an honorable mention on that list.

Hold your fire now, that would have to be your list, then, as I rarely hear them on any station 'hearbouts.

Besides, you know Rush didn't get their success because of their looks.  (One look from Geddy can curdle milk.)  Check out the power mullet on the drummer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lpVjXwAfm0 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 11:00:56 PM by roo_ster »
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Stuff on the classic rock station I can't stand: Led Zepplin. Rush. Pink Floyd. Journey. The Eagles (ESPECIALLY HOTEL CALIFORNIA). .38 Special. John Melloncamp. Pretty much any emotional, hippie bullshit song/band I hate.

Stuff on the new rock station I can't stand: Theory of a Deadman. Everclear. Couple others I don't know the names of, but I HATE the music. Again, more emo hippie bullshit. And then the new rock station also plays *expletive deleted*it like Zepplin that I tried to escape by coming to the new rock station. WTF?

And I cannot stand much of John Boy and Billy which comes on both of the classic rock stations I can pick up. Oh, I like a lot of the skits like Oliver, Mad Max, Karl Childers, and such...but the rest of the show is what I don't really care for too much...

But my world's been golden since I got an adapter for my MP3 player. Now I play only what I want to here, and no *expletive deleted*ing commercials for penis enlargement. Only the most kick ass music gets played.

1. Bohemian Rhapsody

I completely agree. Can't stand it.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Waitone

• friend
Excessive bad rock and John Boy and Billy are the reasons I listen to classic classical on NPR when headed to Charlotte.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hutch

• friend
Ummmm... Rod Stewart Tonight's the Night.  It gives me shingles.  Luckily, it's only on XM Classic Vinyl twice an hour [barf]
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
Any other Texans remember when KEGL was in a bit of a "format limbo" and decided to go "all Eagles, all the time" for a month or so?  It was actually probably the best possible choice of a single band to do that with, but even still, Hotel California was every fourth song.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
I get "Hotel California" every time I'm on hold with one of my distributors. They only have two songs that play on hold. I don't need to hear it on the radio, too.

Most of the "classic rock" station formats date back to the sixties, when the same songs were played in the same rotation multiple times a day. I thought that had ended in the early 1970's, but cost-cutting at stations has brought it back. They don't need DJ's now, and maybe not even engineers or producers.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
this is a very interesting thread, however nothing is as bad as San Francisco's
easy listening KOIT "lite rock/lesstalk" their commercials are better than any song they play. Tracy Chapmans Fast Car over and over ad infinitum
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MechAg94

• friend
this is a very interesting thread, however nothing is as bad as San Francisco's
easy listening KOIT "lite rock/lesstalk" their commercials are better than any song they play. Tracy Chapmans Fast Car over and over ad infinitum
I thought all "lite rock" had converted over to modern country music. 

But I guess this is San Francisco you are talking about.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

grislyatoms

• friends
Edgar Winter
Steely Dan
Queen (already mentioned, but anyway.)

The radio station I listen to now plays some really good old stuff - Dio, Motorhead, Triumph, Black Sabbath etc., mostly "B" sides. Several times a week I hear either something I haven't heard in 20+ years or never heard before.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

gunsmith

• friend
Edgar Winter
Steely Dan
Queen (already mentioned, but anyway.)

The radio station I listen to now plays some really good old stuff - Dio, Motorhead, Triumph, Black Sabbath etc., mostly "B" sides. Several times a week I hear either something I haven't heard in 20+ years or never heard before.

but do they play hocus pocus by focus?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGaVUApDVuY
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
Anyone who listined to an alt rock station in the mid to late 90's knows Ramstein.

The thing is, these days a band doesn't need commercial radio play to make something of themselves. The internet has opened stuff way up.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
Edgar Winter? I've never heard any station play his songs. I don't remember many stations playing his music in the 60's, either. Maybe it was his heroin addiction.

but do they play hocus pocus by focus?

Oh, another absolutely horrible 70's tune. One of the most laughable collection of noises ever put to vinyl. Drums and electric guitars and yodeling.  ;/

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
There's this one song...

Smoke on the Stairway to the House of the Rising Free Bird...
Blog under construction

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Godaddy has Squirrel Nut Zippers on its hold music.

I now HATE the Squirrel Nut Zippers.
Blog under construction

grampster

• friend
What is the name of that awful band that plays a lot of flutes and other dark ages instruments?  I hate that music so much I have blocked the name of the band.

Crap, now I'm hearing that vile music in my head.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Bigjake

• friend
Jethro Tull?   >:D

gunsmith

• friend
What is the name of that awful band that plays a lot of flutes and other dark ages instruments?  I hate that music so much I have blocked the name of the band.

Crap, now I'm hearing that vile music in my head.

That wouldn't be "Fairport Convention" would it?? >:D

or maybe pentangle or steeleye span?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 11:21:36 PM by gunsmith »

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
Mannheim Steamroller?
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

T.O.M.

• friend
The funny thng for me reading this thread is that so many of the bands mentioned on here have some music I love...but none of those songs have been mentioned.  This is why I listen to radio for only three reasons:
- sports
- traffic
-weather

The smart phone has killed my need for weather reports.  Frankly, I really enjoy listening to a good color man do sports broadcasts.  beats the crap out of listening to some crappy TV guy hired because he looks good.

PS - thanks for the new bands to check out.  Got a 16 gig iPod, and 500 gig external hard drive waiting for new music...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
I get "Hotel California" every time I'm on hold with one of my distributors. They only have two songs that play on hold. I don't need to hear it on the radio, too.

Most of the "classic rock" station formats date back to the sixties, when the same songs were played in the same rotation multiple times a day. I thought that had ended in the early 1970's, but cost-cutting at stations has brought it back. They don't need DJ's now, and maybe not even engineers or producers.

I was reading this thread and thought to myself, "You know, I don't think I have any songs that really irk me, simply from repitition."

And then Monkeyleg mentioned the one for me. I hate that song with a passion. Add to it the fact that the song goes on FOREVER. I swear, I was listening to one station, flipped when Hotel California came on, listend to THREE SONGS on another station and turned back when they went to a commercial and that freaking song was STILL GOING.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
On thing I will say in defense of "Hotel California" is that the guitar solo midway through the song is very good. I don't think I ever paid attention to it until I started using this particular distributor.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
On thing I will say in defense of "Hotel California" is that the guitar solo midway through the song is very good. I don't think I ever paid attention to it until I started using this particular distributor.

The thing about hotel california isn't the song itself that bothers me so much...it's the fact that it's like the only Eagles song that gets played. And played. And played. And played. And played. Over and over and over again multiple times a day.

Way too much repetition will kill any song, no matter how good.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

roo_ster

• friend

Way too much repetition will kill any song, no matter how good.

This.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton