Author Topic: Website advice, possibly a developer needed.  (Read 1237 times)

Iain

• friend
Website advice, possibly a developer needed.
« on: May 11, 2005, 05:04:37 AM »
I've been messing with an idea for several months now, but there is no way in hell I could put it out there without studying hard for about three years. My skills are non-existant.

The project involves databases, forums, users and if it were to ever succeed would have to be of huge proportions - IMDB size.

Obviously I'm keeping the nature of the project close to my chest, but if anyone can offer me any advice about who to go to, where to go and how much cash any initial outlay may be (just to get a developer to put the barebones into place) I'd be grateful.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 05:28:47 AM »
Quote from: Iain
I've been messing with an idea for several months now, but there is no way in hell I could put it out there without studying hard for about three years. My skills are non-existant.

The project involves databases, forums, users and if it were to ever succeed would have to be of huge proportions - IMDB size.

Obviously I'm keeping the nature of the project close to my chest, but if anyone can offer me any advice about who to go to, where to go and how much cash any initial outlay may be (just to get a developer to put the barebones into place) I'd be grateful.
SQL, sounds like.  Personal in nature, or ya trying to make a profit?   Access is a no-go for something like this, obviously.  Active server pages would be rather slow.   Oracle would do the job, but is not free.   SQL is lightweight, but very powerful.   The style you it written in shouldn't matter too much.   Just stay away from too from ANY dependency on Active X and not try not to use any javascript.

If you were using pre-packaged modules, the initial outlay should be very cheap.   If you want customized everything, ouch.  Not to sound too crazy....   But do you like Wikipedia.org ?   You could go Wiki style, and some hosts specialize in providing wiki's to their customers.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 05:42:58 AM »
Interesting.

To be honest the idea came about after messing around with IMDB, wikipedia and amazon like we all do.

There is a whole lot I don't understand, I sent a basic brief to a friend who isn't skilled enough to complete the project either, but knows a lot more than me. He reckoned that there would be around 10 different databases required to make it work.

Profit would be very nice. The idea really gained momentum when I finally noticed the line at the bottom of IMDB's frontpage that notes that the site is owned by amazon.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Nathaniel Firethorn

• friend
  • Extra Thorny
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 06:10:36 AM »
"IMDB size" doesn't really say very much. The big question is the transaction rate that you need to support and the workflow of the common transactions.

Supporting a website of the size and complexity of IMDB is a major operation. Not for the fainthearted or shallow-pocketed. If you really want to be an entrepreneur (with all of the loooooong hours, sacrifice, and heartache that it takes), I'd suggest that you try to get a mockup lashed together first, then see if you can get some VC to scale up.

PM me with details and maybe I can help.

- NF
Give up no state. Give up no ground.

http://www.njcsd.org