Main Forums > The Roundtable

Automotive Tire / Gasket Protectant

<< < (2/3) > >>

zxcvbob:
I don't use anything, but if I did it would be silicone spray lube.  (not on the tire treads, but *maybe* the sidewalls)

JTHunter:
On a 2011 Hyundai Elantra, nothing has been done to the tires or gaskets.  It is parked in a carport and not a garage and I have less than 77K miles on it but I'm on my 3rd set of tires.  It turns out the 2nd set of tires that had a 90K warranty weren't the right tires for the car and were wearing out at 30K.
The dash has been wiped with protectant once about 2 years ago, even though the dash was showing no sign of wear.
I wish the same could be said for the bolster on the outer edge of the driver's seat.  The fabric has been worn away from me sliding in and out and there is a 2-3" wide hole about 4-5" high exposing the bolster's air bag underneath.

K Frame:

--- Quote from: zxcvbob on April 13, 2024, 08:28:44 PM ---I don't use anything, but if I did it would be silicone spray lube.  (not on the tire treads, but *maybe* the sidewalls)

--- End quote ---

Every fall I give the door gaskets a good going over with silicone spray. Then two weeks later I do it again.

My primary reason for doing so is that where I park the prevailing weather has, on more than one occasions, iced my doors shut and, in opening them, caused the door seals to pop loose.

If I know we're facing that kind of weather I'll give the driver's side door seals a quick additional coating.

HankB:

--- Quote from: Kingcreek on April 13, 2024, 06:41:27 PM ---. . . I pay really close attention to the overhead air hole seals. Very problematic and expensive if they fail. I clean and condition mine at least 2x per year.

--- End quote ---
??    I haven't heard that term before - and it seems that neither has Google.

Kingcreek:

--- Quote from: HankB on April 14, 2024, 11:00:50 AM ---??    I haven't heard that term before - and it seems that neither has Google.

--- End quote ---
It’s the sun/moon roof that tilts open or slides back.
My wife likes them, I don’t. Therefore I call then air holes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version