Author Topic: The Last Centurion by John Ringo  (Read 21179 times)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: The Last Centurion by John Ringo
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »
You simply sound like you're whining to me.  Since the standard of proof here seems to be very low and entirely subjective, that makes you a whiner, which by your own definition makes you a Nazi.

You've ignored other standards around here, why adhere to our standard of proof?

You should lurk more, check the place out, and try not to get so offended at that which is not worthy of offense.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Tom Kratman

« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2013, 02:04:33 PM »
Gonna have to side with the interloper.  He's got cause to be chapped.  

Charges of "nazi" and "racist" are easy to fling and have been for years by the Left.  Nowadays, such flinging has migrated to the center and parts of the right, too(1).  It is a disgusting and insulting thing to do and if done, had best be backed up with fact.  Because such an accusation is an attack and most certainly not Polite.

(1) See how cheaply obtained is a feeling of moral superiority...just accuse someone to the right of you of being a racist/nazi/homophobe.  Preen away.

Indeed, Roo.  You might enjoy these:

The Left's 20 Rules of Racism:

1. If you believe that general intelligence exists, is heritable and at all testable for, you're a racist.

2. If you point out that liberal philosophies and programs intended to have a good impact have had a disproportionately bad impact on the ethnicities targeted by liberals, you're a racist.

3. If you notice that other cultures have some problems, you're a racist.

4. If you notice your own culture has had some successes, you're a racist.

5. If you try to identify subcultural problems, you're a racist. If the problems existed or got worse under liberalism, see item 2, above.

6. If you're mainstream American culture, and don't hate that culture, you're a racist.

7. If you're capable of noting unpleasant facts about subcultures and discussing them without your brain fogging, you're a racist.

8. If you won't kowtow and grovel as soon as someone accuses you of racism for one of the reasons above or below, you're a hopeless racist.

9. If you do not believe that mankind is a tabula rasa for liberals to make whatever they think would be good to make of man, this week, you're a racist.

10. If you don't take personal responsibility for all the evils of slavery, you're a racist. This is true even if you only arrived from Poland last week.

11. If you're white, you're a racist.

12. If you're white and just arrived from Poland last week and don't accept that you're a racist, you're a racist.

13. If you try to interject logical thought into a discussion of culture, you're a racist.

14. If you refuse to admit culture is a racial matter, and a liberal wants to conflate the two, you're a racist.

15. If you believe that race and culture are indistinguishable and a liberal decides that you shouldn't conflate the two, you're a racist.

16. If you believe that black or Hispanic girls who are paid by liberal inspired programs from the age of 13 to have babies will have babies, you're a racist.

17. If you believe that _any_ girls of whatever color who are paid to have babies will then have babies but then, insensitively, observe that a smaller percentage of white girls do, certainly because they haven't been targeted for as much "help" from liberals, you're a racist.

18. If it doesn't bother you that the truth offends liberals, you're a racist.

19. If your name is Tom Kratman and you write and in your writing your heroes and heroines tend to be from minorities while your villains are white liberals, you're still a racist.

20. If you read The Bell Curve, you're a racist. On the other hand, if you didn't read it but wrote a scathing review on Amazon anyway you might not be a racist provided you take personal responsibility for 300 years of slavery even if you just arrived from Poland last week.

The Right’s Twenty Rules of Racism:

1.    Anyone responsible for three hundred years of slavery would have to be a lot older than you and me.

2.   There has to be some genetics in “racism’s” DNA, some DNA in its gene pool, or it just isn’t racism.

3.   Racism could be eliminated in the United States if we could just eliminate the white liberals who so plainly depend on it so much and do so much to keep it going.

4.   Reality isn’t racist: The reality is that there are pond-scummy gallows bait in every group.  Some of those will be more of a problem to their own group than to you (see Rule 14, below).  Some will be more of a problem to you precisely because you’re not a member of their group. It is wise, not racist, to avoid the latter.  In Boston, this may be referred to as the “Evelyn Wagler-George Pratt Rule,” and that’s not code.  Odd exception to half of Rule 4: Jesse Jackson would much rather be followed by a white on the streets of DC, at night, than a black.

5.   There have been two instances in recent history where the concept of “honorary white” held sway.  One was in apartheid South Africa where, for example, Japanese were considered “honorary white.”  The other was when, in relation to the Trayvon Martin shooting, the American mainstream media made Hispanic George Zimmerman an “honorary white.”  This is not entirely coincidence since (see Rule 18) the very liberal American media is as racist in their way as ever the Afrikaner Broederbond was in its.

6.   Nobody really thinks whites are as evil as portrayed by white liberals and black demagogues. If they really thought so, they’d be too afraid to ever leave the house, since a) there are a lot more whites, b) those whites are much better armed, c) they’re more likely to be veterans of the Army’s and Marine Corps’ ground gaining combat arms, and d) they have an historically demonstrated cultural aptitude for mass, organized violence.

7.   People who insist you’re speaking in code insist on it because they believe it’s true.  They believe it’s true because they really do speak in code and can’t imagine anyone who does not speak in code.  It’s not racist to think those people are idiots, nor to note that they’re mostly white.  (Exception to rule: When conservatives talk about guns and zombies?  Especially in terms of using the former to kill the latter?  Yeah; “zombie” is code for “liberals of any color.”  See Rule 6, above.)

8.   It’s not racist to note that white liberalism managed to do in about thirty years something that three hundred years of slavery could not, seriously damage the black family, generally though not universally, and ruin it completely over wide swaths.

9.   Speaking of slavery, the bulk of slave raiding and trading in Africa was black, usually Islamic black (see Rule 16, below), on black.  The Arabic word for black and slave is the same, “Abd.”  And the first registered slave owner in Virginia was black.  Pointing this out to liberals, white and black, is always fun.

10.   It’s not racist to wish that our first black president had been Thomas Sowell.

11.   The “Some of my best friends” defense against a charge of racism is no defense…unless it happens to be true.  Sometimes it’s best expressed to a white liberal as, “You don’t have so much as a day in uniform, do you, dipshit?”

12.   The system of education that white liberals have inflicted on inner city blacks is a crime against humanity.  No amount of money that they toss at it helps to overcome the elimination of discipline liberalism has caused.  It’s neither racist to note this…nor wrong.

13.   The various college and university minority “studies” programs, because they give a useless pseudo-education, and at very high cost in both money and time, are racist in their effects.

14.   Most black crime is black on black crime.  It is racist in its effects to deprive the black community of the social good that comes from executing black criminals that prey on other blacks.

15.   It takes a white liberal idiot (Lord, forgive us our redundancies) not to understand the difference between casual sex with a member of another race and marrying and investing one’s entire reproductive effort in a member of another race.  See, e.g., http://www.tomkratman.com/yoli.html.  Dipshits.

16.   Islam is not a race.  Detesting Islam is not racist.  There is nothing in Islam which genetically compels either slightly tanned Palestinians or totally white English reverts to pray toward Mecca five times daily, to self-detonate in crowded squares and movie theaters, to find offense in just about everything, nor even to clitorectomize their women.  Flash alert: Lysenko was wrong.  Dipshits.

17.   When a liberal accuses you of racism, rejoice; it means the dipshit knows he or she is losing.

18.   The worst racists are liberals, mostly white ones, who assume that blacks and hispanics are so inferior that only affirmative action in perpetuity would give them a remotely fair chance.  (That this also keeps a lot of liberal white social workers and bureaucrats employed is, of course, merely incidental.  Ahem.  Dipshits.)

19.   There was a conservative argument for a kind of affirmative action.  Unfortunately, all the money’s already been spent on employing white liberal social workers and bureaucrats, and we’re broke now, so that ship has sailed.  Again, blame dipshit white liberals.

20.   Screaming “Racism!  Raaaacissssm!” on the part of a white liberal, when the matter in question has no DNA in its gene pool, no genetics in its DNA (see Rule 2, above), is the surest proof that said white liberal is genetically defective.  And a dipshit.  And it’s not racist to point this out.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2013, 02:04:41 PM »
So your theory is that if someone well liked on a board attacks someone - authorial status is fairly irrelevant for this - that someone really ought to just put up with it?  Did my not going along with this hurt you poor widdle fee-fees?

For an "author," your ability to comprehend what you read is... off.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2013, 02:05:20 PM »
So your theory is that if someone well liked on a board attacks someone - authorial status is fairly irrelevant for this - that someone really ought to just put up with it?  Did my not going along with this hurt you poor widdle fee-fees?

No, that's not my point at all. My point is that you're being a dick. If you wanted people to care about Rev saying mean things about you, then not being a dick would probably be a good idea. If you just came here to crap all over our forum, then mission accomplished. You had a legitimate grievance, but that doesn't excuse your behaviour. Two wrongs and all that.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2013, 02:05:45 PM »
To all.

Everyone might want to go and read the "Welcome to the Armed Polite Society" Thread.  

And maybe focus on the second word.

Mr. Kratman, Welcome to our little corner of the Interwebz.    We had a member express his opinion, you came and pointed out his error.  He apologized.   As is often pointed out, only 7% of communication are the words.  The other 93% are tone of voice and facial expressions.  The written word, (both in books and here, electronically) leave out all of the vital clues regarding that communication.    

So someone read parts of your books and got a completely different take from you know and intended.  I'm pretty sure that it's not the first time it has ever happened.  Even to you.   Having been appraised of his error, the gentleman apologized.  

The End.

I personally, am glad to have you here, as I have enjoyed the three books that you have written with John Ringo, and look forward to reading others that you have authored.  I am also very glad to have RevDisk here as he, like many others here, have a great deal of experience and knowledge that help all of us further understand our world and the events that shape.    

So welcome, and I'll apologize that your entry into our world was not a smooth one.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:10:29 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tom Kratman

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2013, 02:05:54 PM »
For an "author," your ability to comprehend what you read is... off.

Don't think so.  

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2013, 02:06:06 PM »

Folks, calm down. Yes, I stepped on my own dick in how I phrased things and went too far. But everyone take a friggin deep breath. Go have a cigarette or beer. Or yoga. Or punch a bear, or whatever. No point in escalating matters.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2013, 02:07:17 PM »
Folks, calm down. Yes, I stepped on my own dick in how I phrased things and went too far. But everyone take a friggin deep breath. Go have a cigarette or beer. Or yoga. Or punch a bear, or whatever. No point in escalating matters.

Psh. Mealy mouthed.

Please provide evidence to assert that there is no point in escalating matters.

Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Tom Kratman

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2013, 02:07:38 PM »
To all.

Everyone might want to go and read the "Welcome to the Armed Polite Society" Thread.  

And maybe focus on the second word.

Mr. Kratman, Welcome to our little corner of the Interwebz.    We had a member express his opinion, you came and pointed out his error.  He apologized.   As is often pointed out, only 7% of communication are the words.  The other 93% are tone of voice and facial expressions.  The written word, (both in books and here, electronically) leave out all of the vital clues regarding that communication.    

So someone read your book and got a completely different take from you know and intended.  I'm pretty sure that it's not the first time it has ever happened.  Even to you.   Having been appraised of his error, the gentleman apologized.  

The End.

I personally, am glad to have you here, as I have enjoyed the three books that you have written with John Ringo, and look forward to reading others that you have authored.  I am also very glad to have RevDisk here as he, like many others here, have a great deal of experience and knowledge that help all of us further understand our world and the events that shape.    

So welcome, and I'll apologize that your entry into our world was not a smooth one.

No sweat.  I like to think of things like this as therapy.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 02:10:12 PM by scout26 »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2013, 02:09:26 PM »
No sweat.  I like to think of things like this as therapy.

Regardless of anything else, you sir have masochistic theories on therapy.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Tom Kratman

« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2013, 02:12:55 PM »
Regardless of anything else, you sir have masochistic theories on therapy.

I admit it's a little odd.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2013, 02:27:39 PM »
I admit it's a little odd.

It's a little odd that John Wilkes Booth's brother saved the life of Abe Lincoln's son a year or two before Lincoln was assassinated. That's very odd.

Anyways, to make amends, I'll buy and read cover to cover any book you wrote that you would like me to read. To give a fair shake and thorough impression. Which would you recommend?

Tom Kratman

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
It's a little odd that John Wilkes Booth's brother saved the life of Abe Lincoln's son a year or two before Lincoln was assassinated. That's very odd.

Anyways, to make amends, I'll buy and read cover to cover any book you wrote that you would like me to read. To give a fair shake and thorough impression. Which would you recommend?

Nah. If you can't get into them, then you can't.  They're not for everybody. 

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »
Rev,

If you read the Legend of Aldenata series, then you might like Yellow Eyes.   The Posleen War as seen from the other side.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2013, 03:55:22 PM »
Could we talk about the Butt Hurt questionaire.  I thought that was really funny. =D :rofl:

PS:  I think Rev humbled himself properly.  He even sounded like he'd spend money.  Maybe now Kratman can unbunch his underwear a bit and hopefully hang around.  Another weird interesting person around here would have no trouble fitting in. [popcorn]

"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

erictank

• friends
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2013, 04:27:06 PM »
Rev, re: Kratman novels -

My personal favorites of his were Watch on the Rhine and Yellow Eyes, in that order.

I know you said you started and could not get through Watch, but I found it a very interesting look into a particular TEOTWAWKI scenario: you have the ability to bring back X, a particular military force with a reputation for combat capability AND tainted by service in one of the most evil regimes the world has seen. Do you rejuvenate them and put them into service? Oh, if you don't, there's a fair chance that evil alien monsters will swarm over the world and eat every last human being. I thought that Kratman and Ringo did an excellent job with that, myself. The fact that a lot of people (mostly modern "liberals") read no more than the jacket blurb and took offense to the notion that ex-Nazis could ever be anything other than irredeemably evil was kinda icing on the cake, for me.

Yellow Eyes, as stated, has a lot from the point of view of a Posleen God-King who... ran into trouble following his landing in Central America. Lots of ... broad humor, let's say.

Read his Caliphate series, and thought it was okay. I felt that it was... over the top, but not every book works for every reader. Read a couple of the M-Day (?) series, his modern-mercenary series, and just wasn't pulled in.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »
Roo_: the corollary is that just because the charges are over used don't mean that some folks are not, in fact, actual factual racists. Trying to deny that on the basis of "Well those damn liberals are always saying it so it must never be true" is counter-productive.

Balog:

Fine.  Then back it up.

My primary point was not, "Don't do what lefties do, 'cause it is always wrong" but "Back up character assassination with fact."  That is not "denial of accusation by leftist example."

I don't know The Author Formerly Known as A Nazi 'round here from Adam.  Never met him, may have read one of his books, but if I did, it did not stick in my mind.  He might very well wear feldgrau PJs to bed and cut his steak with the bayonet from a K98 blooded by the naziest nazi on the western front.  I do not know.  What I do know is that TAFKAN was tarred with the Nazi/Nazi-Symp label on one man's opinion with no facts to back it up. 

If folks are going to pull the nazi/racist/anti-semite card, they had best bring some pretty adamantine data in support. Because so accusing someone is about the basest, foulest sort of character assassination currently practiced, save an accusation of child molestation.  Someone making such an accusation with nothing more than feelings of butthurtedness (to keep with that theme), political difference, and/or vague discomfort ought to expect to have their head handed to them.  (I would include "and ought to be ashamed of themselves," but I suspect I am a couple centuries too late for that to have any meaning.)

Now, I have (like Rev, it seems) read some authors that made me go, "Hmmm.  Perhaps the author enjoyed the subject matter a bit too much."  Usually to do with violence, gore, rape, etc.  I was especially hit by it in a particular RPG which described evil magic and rituals in disturbing detail.  For example (from memory, paraphrased & toned down from original): "1. Obtain virgin of no more than 16 years of age.  2. Have 11 of your closest henchmen [brutally rape her]. 3. Tie her down on the stone and [inflict all sorts of tortures upon her].  3. Lastly, [kill her in some foul manner]."  You get the picture.  The author was going for verisimilitude and wanted to convey that these folk lived in an evil realm and were pretty damned evil.  IIRC, many of his descriptions were taken from Druidic/Celtic ritual.  Yeah, I wanted nothing to do with that RPG and would not leave such a thing laying about the house.  I can honestly say that I found the detailed sadism, rape, and the like to be disturbing.  At the same time, I ought to be careful of accusing the author of sadism, misogyny, or anti-Celt animus with no more than my discomfort as a guide.

As far as this kerfluffle, it seems to have been reconciled by the primaries.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2013, 05:16:46 PM »
Roo_ster:  ;/ You're missing the point by rather a wide margin.

I wasn't referring to this incident, merely pointing out a disturbing trend on the right. "We get accused of racism for everything so nothing is really racism" is pretty common among the conservative side. It's a boy who cried wolf thing. I was merely pointing out that sometimes there really is a wolf.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tom Kratman

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2013, 07:04:11 PM »
Roo_ster:  ;/ You're missing the point by rather a wide margin.

I wasn't referring to this incident, merely pointing out a disturbing trend on the right. "We get accused of racism for everything so nothing is really racism" is pretty common among the conservative side. It's a boy who cried wolf thing. I was merely pointing out that sometimes there really is a wolf.

Which actually goes to an interesting point I am not sure you see, though you may.  See, I used to go ballistic over charges of racism.  There's nothing, literally nothing, to support those, unless one conflates culture and race, as the left will do when it's convenient to them.  Eventually - see 40 rules above - I decided to ignore the left because their overuse of the term had robbed it of any meaning beyond, "You're a badwickedevilnaughtybadbadbad person and I am losing the argument."  Indeed, the reason I wrote the rules was to dump them on any leftist who claimed I was a racist.  Oddly, that doesn't seem to happen much since I started doing that. 

That, however, is just me.  Much worse, what seems to be happening is that a lot of people are beginning to see that the word has no meaning beyond, again, "You're a badwickedevilnaughtybadbadbad person and I am losing the argument."  It's bad enough that they've robbed the term of meaning.  But still worse than that, a lot of people seem to be shifting to the mindset, "You accuse me of racism with no grounds.  You are a moronic POS.  I may as well be this thing you accuse me of, since if you're against it it can't be all that bad and may be good." 

I invite anyone who is interested's attention to Thucydides, http://klio.uoregon.edu/tx/gr/corcyra.htm.  "First of all, words had to lose their ordinary meanings..."

Tom Kratman

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2013, 07:06:16 PM »
Rev, re: Kratman novels -

My personal favorites of his were Watch on the Rhine and Yellow Eyes, in that order.

I know you said you started and could not get through Watch, but I found it a very interesting look into a particular TEOTWAWKI scenario: you have the ability to bring back X, a particular military force with a reputation for combat capability AND tainted by service in one of the most evil regimes the world has seen. Do you rejuvenate them and put them into service? Oh, if you don't, there's a fair chance that evil alien monsters will swarm over the world and eat every last human being. I thought that Kratman and Ringo did an excellent job with that, myself. The fact that a lot of people (mostly modern "liberals") read no more than the jacket blurb and took offense to the notion that ex-Nazis could ever be anything other than irredeemably evil was kinda icing on the cake, for me.

Yellow Eyes, as stated, has a lot from the point of view of a Posleen God-King who... ran into trouble following his landing in Central America. Lots of ... broad humor, let's say.

Read his Caliphate series, and thought it was okay. I felt that it was... over the top, but not every book works for every reader. Read a couple of the M-Day (?) series, his modern-mercenary series, and just wasn't pulled in.

Caliphate is a stand alone.  Do you mean A Desert Called Peace, et seq?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2013, 07:43:49 AM »
Which actually goes to an interesting point I am not sure you see, though you may.  See, I used to go ballistic over charges of racism.  There's nothing, literally nothing, to support those, unless one conflates culture and race, as the left will do when it's convenient to them.  Eventually - see 40 rules above - I decided to ignore the left because their overuse of the term had robbed it of any meaning beyond, "You're a badwickedevilnaughtybadbadbad person and I am losing the argument."  Indeed, the reason I wrote the rules was to dump them on any leftist who claimed I was a racist.  Oddly, that doesn't seem to happen much since I started doing that. 

That, however, is just me.  Much worse, what seems to be happening is that a lot of people are beginning to see that the word has no meaning beyond, again, "You're a badwickedevilnaughtybadbadbad person and I am losing the argument."  It's bad enough that they've robbed the term of meaning.  But still worse than that, a lot of people seem to be shifting to the mindset, "You accuse me of racism with no grounds.  You are a moronic POS.  I may as well be this thing you accuse me of, since if you're against it it can't be all that bad and may be good." 

I invite anyone who is interested's attention to Thucydides, http://klio.uoregon.edu/tx/gr/corcyra.htm.  "First of all, words had to lose their ordinary meanings..."
Radio guy in Houston named Michael Berry express similar thoughts on racism.  I have heard him respond to a caller something like "okay, I'm a racist, answer the question" because the caller seemed to think throwing out that accusation would shut him up.  He is pretty anti-PC. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2013, 08:03:45 AM »
 [popcorn]

Can we make the my little pony fight gif a smilie?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Tom Kratman

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2013, 09:56:51 AM »
Radio guy in Houston named Michael Berry express similar thoughts on racism.  I have heard him respond to a caller something like "okay, I'm a racist, answer the question" because the caller seemed to think throwing out that accusation would shut him up.  He is pretty anti-PC.  

The left, who are the proponents of the Orwellian Doublespeak we call "PC," never seem to understand that they can only manipulate the language to control the way we think so much (and that _is_ what they've been trying to do), nor can they grasp that people will recognize and resent the manipulation and work around their attempts at thought control, nor that it's a very short step from them banning words to the rest deciding that they're, to borrow a couple of terms closely related to what brought me here, "untermensch," and "life unworthy of life."  
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 10:10:36 AM by Tom Kratman »

erictank

• friends
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2013, 11:36:19 AM »
Caliphate is a stand alone.  Do you mean A Desert Called Peace, et seq?

Yes - I'd thought that was the... shorthand, more or less, for the series. Guess I misremembered. I couldn't remember the protagonist's name, or might have remembered the series title. I don't believe I read The Amazon Legion yet, and there's your new one coming out in a little over a month, both of which I'll likely take a look at.

Rev: I'd forgotten about A State Of Disobedience (Kratman's earliest release, apparently, and his first that I ever read), which I rather enjoyed, and The Tuloriad, which delves further into the history of the Posleen. Both of those might be potentially of interest to you.

Tom Kratman

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »
Yes - I'd thought that was the... shorthand, more or less, for the series. Guess I misremembered. I couldn't remember the protagonist's name, or might have remembered the series title. I don't believe I read The Amazon Legion yet, and there's your new one coming out in a little over a month, both of which I'll likely take a look at.

Rev: I'd forgotten about A State Of Disobedience (Kratman's earliest release, apparently, and his first that I ever read), which I rather enjoyed, and The Tuloriad, which delves further into the history of the Posleen. Both of those might be potentially of interest to you.

Easy mistake to make; one of the advertising writers for Baen did a blurb for ADCP that included the phrase, "Earth's corrupt caliphate."  It's accurate, in a way, but highly misleading, in another.  And you're not the first person to be misled.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 06:23:46 PM by Tom Kratman »