Author Topic: Prescription sleep meds help  (Read 5051 times)

vernal45

• friend
Prescription sleep meds help
« on: September 15, 2005, 02:35:22 PM »
I am in need of prescription sleep med, to help me go to sleep.  I have heard that the new Lunesta is the best, also it costs an arm and leg.  Are there any suggestions on good sleep medication, without paying out the yang for it.  BTW, in my area, a 30 day supply of lunesta = $114.00

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 03:00:41 PM »
I haven't tried the Lunesta. I use Ambien 10 mg. Use it about 4-5 nights a week. I take it about a half hour before I plan on going to bed and it knocks me out nicely.

Now the downside. It cost about $105 for 30.  However its worth it to be able to get a full nights sleep.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 04:18:25 PM »
Try Excedrin PM or Benadryl.  You may have already.  Works like a champ for me.

Greg

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 04:21:09 PM »
Vernal,
You mention prescription sleep meds, which I have not tried...However,
Melatonin has allowed me to sleep like a baby for the last 4 years.  
Get the 3mg, NOT the 300mcg.  Milligrams vs. Micrograms.

Also, the PM in Tylenol PM is just Diphenhydramine, which can be gotten in prescription strength or OTC.

I'd go with those before looking at the terribly expensive Ambien or Lunesta.
YMMV.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 04:21:21 PM »
Nyquil
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 06:38:58 PM »
Vernal, you just might want to look at why you can't sleep.

I know why I can't, but that's beside the point.

My doc has prescribed just about every new sleep aid on the market. I take one. Nothing. Two. Nothing. Three. Nothing.

I'm spending $12 a night, and I still can't sleep. In fact, I didn't sleep even two minutes last night.

Even the old stand-by's---exercise, sex, reading, or just watching dumb TV shows--don't work.

If you want to discuss this privately, PM me. If you've found a solution, announce it to everybody on the forum!

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 07:40:19 PM »
I can second FF's 300 mikes of melatonin. Less is more. Don't bother with anything more- I've never seen it work as well as the smaller dose for anyone.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 07:45:13 PM »
Monkey, would love to discuss it with you, if i can find out how to PM you.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 08:53:15 PM »
I'll also weigh in with a suggestion that you try Melatonin.  It's cheap and works well.

While not necessarily a sleep aid, try some Chai tea.  I find that it helps me to relax.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2005, 09:39:04 PM »
One of the drugs we give people here as a sleeper is Trazodone. I work in a .gov facility and Ambien is to expensive for us to use!!

Check the price, and see what your doc says about it.

bob

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2005, 11:49:12 PM »
Without a better understanding of what afflicts you, it'd be hard to say what would help.  Brain chemistry is so complicated; what works for you will have no effect for someone else, or maybe not even for you in a few years.  I used to take Darvocets as a teen for migraines.  Now I could take three, and I won't even get drowsy.

I use Ambien, too; it breaks down in your system after about 4 hours, so you don't wake up groggy.  OTOH, you might just wake up after four hours, like I find myself doing lately.  I've tried the Lunesta, and I hate it-it leaves me really disoriented in the morning.  Xanax works well, but it can be addictive, so I try not to resort to it too often.  OTC, there are the antihistamines Benadryl (diphenhydramine) and chlorpheniramine.  Herbally, I have used melatonin, too, but lately it's not helping much.  Valerian is good, too.  Alcohol will make sleeping harder; you may drift off, but you'll wake up more tired.  Oddly enough, if I drink a lot of coffee in a short time, I get really drowsy, but if you can imagine a jittery nap...

I realize I sound like a junkie right now undecided but I do know what causes it, and there's nothing else to be done right now.  Notice the time?  I'm wide awake.  Tired, but awake.  I think I'll try the melatonin again tonight; it can't hurt, and if it doesn't work there's plenty of Ambien.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2005, 01:00:29 AM »
Until my TSH levels get under 100, or 2, or something, I'm looking for something to keep me awake. This is finally the day I couldn't get out of bed. I should have left for work a 1/2 hour ago and I'm finally upright and drinking a cup of coffee but I'd really rather not be. I just want to sleep.

/whinyness.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 06:16:55 AM »
TSH?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 06:40:42 AM »
when I can't sleep I make a cup of tea from 100% Chamoille flowers. It smells bad and tastes bad, but enough raw sugar and honey can take care of that. I drink a cup and I am sawing logs with in a half hour. You can get chamoille flowers from international grocery stores. A 1 lb bag lasts for months and its like $5 here in Ames, IA. I use about 2-3 Tbls per cup of tea through a infuser. The kind that looks like a filter from a dust buster, drop it in the cup, add flowers and pour hot water through it.

I have been wanting to try Kava Kava, but not sure if it would be addicting or not over long term, tired it a couple times, pure root and it numbs you pretty good, kind of in a daze.
Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Paddy

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2005, 10:27:29 AM »
What is the nature of the sleep disorder?  Is it like you're really sleepy/tired, watching tv or reading or something, then you go to bed and your brain kicks into high gear?  That's the way it is for me.

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2005, 10:54:55 AM »
Is it like you're really sleepy/tired, watching tv or reading or something, then you go to bed and your brain kicks into high gear?  That's the way it is for me.
Yep, Its like I cant shut my brain down.  And when I try to sleep, it kicks into high gear, cant stop thinking about things needed to be done, things gone undone, the next days business, next weeks business, and so on.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2005, 01:00:04 PM »
You need to learn how to shut your thinking off.  WHen I have a problem sleeping, I start to pray, having a personal conversation with Jesus, as if he was in the room, handing off my difficulties and saying some old kid prayers.  Usually I'm waking up in the morning before I'm even done talking.

Learning how to meditate if your not a Christian.  (That's really all prayer is, by the way)

Learn self hypnosis, which, probably is a form of meditation.  

In other words put your self someplace other than in your brain.  You don't try an empty your brain as some teach, I don't think.  That's work.  I'm talking about going elsewhere, where it's peaceful.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

vernal45

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2005, 01:02:36 PM »
Learn self hypnosis, which, probably is a form of meditation.

In other words put your self someplace other than in your brain
Can anyone suggest some techniques of self hypnosis of meditation?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2005, 01:06:19 PM »
google self hypnosis

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2005, 01:07:24 PM »
TSH=Thyroid Stimulating Hormone. My thyroid decided to retire this summer. Levels should be .3-3.0. Mine last count was 137. I'm sleepy and have old Polish woman ankles. I nap a lot. Smiley

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2005, 01:10:01 PM »
Heh, it's sort of comforting to know that there are many others here with sleep disorders.  I go through phases of not being able to sleep.  For example, out of a three month period, there may be a stretch of 10-20 consecutive nights when I cannot sleep.  The rest of that time, I am fine.
    OTC sleep aid pills always work well for me, though I worry about taking them for 10-20 days straight.  Are these pills hard on my body?

bountyhunter

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 02:04:12 PM »
Quote from: vernal45
I am in need of prescription sleep med, to help me go to sleep.  I have heard that the new Lunesta is the best, also it costs an arm and leg.  Are there any suggestions on good sleep medication, without paying out the yang for it.  BTW, in my area, a 30 day supply of lunesta = $114.00
A good dose of Benadryl is very effective.

Also, 1/2 milligram of melatonin will knock you out.

If you have to have a scrip, I used to have a drug called restoril (Tamazapam) and it would knock you out like a light.

bountyhunter

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 02:08:04 PM »
Quote from: Blackburn
Quote from: Justin
I'll also weigh in with a suggestion that you try Melatonin.  It's cheap and works well..
I use melatonin habitually. It works.

Take it an hour or two before needing to sleep. It takes a bit to kick in. Go ahead and take three of the 3mg tablets. People have tried to commit suicide with it with uneventful results.
I used to take a single 3mg melatonin every night and got addicted to that.  Without it, I could no longer sleep at all and even when I took it, I would wake up wide awake at 4AM nd not get back to sleep.

Don't use more than 1/2 mg of it and only occasionally.

If you have to take ANYTHING more than once a week, you have an underlying problem that needs to be fixed.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 06:41:55 PM »
I take a small dose of Ambien most nights.  I have a scrip for the 10mg tabs.  I break them into thirds (approx.) and it works like a champ.  I don't like taking any meds really...but I suffered through sleepless night for nearly 30 years and I'm happy to have something that will put me out.   I've been using it for several years now with few side effects.