Author Topic: Abandoning the pseudonym for the real name: pro and con?  (Read 14152 times)

Chuck Dye

Abandoning the pseudonym for the real name: pro and con?
« on: August 05, 2007, 07:10:01 AM »
For some months I have been increasingly dissatisfied with my use of a pseudonym and have been within a keystroke of sending the request for a name change.  Have any of you who use your real names on forums had any negative experiences?

Joe Demko

• friend
  • Marko Kloos was right about you.
Re: Abandoning the pseudonym for the real name: pro and cons?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 07:17:10 AM »
No negatives.  Anonymity on the internet is largely an illusion anyway.  I abandoned psuedonyms, among other reasons, because anything I have to say I am willing to put my name and face to.
That's right... I'm a Jackbooted Thug AND a Juvenile Indoctrination Technician.  Deal with it.

ilbob

• friend
    • Bob's blog
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 07:23:15 AM »
My real name is Bob, and I am from IL (you probably already guessed that from my user name). You could probably find my last name if you really wanted to.

I chose ILBOB because it was unlikely to be used by anyone else but was relatively unique, and short.

I am not a fan of obviously fake names in Intenet forums.
bob

Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, cop, soldier, gunsmith, politician, plumber, electrician, or a professional practitioner of many of the other things I comment on in this forum.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:52:59 AM »
I use the mtnbkr name mainly because I've used it since I got online in 1994ish.  But I'm not afraid to let people know I'm Chris Allen from Manassas, Va.

Chris

Ron

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 08:18:44 AM »
My name is Ron, big surprise.

You can change your own forum name in the profile section, no need to ask anyone.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 08:26:18 AM »
Anyone with a reasonable track record (at least in my opinion) on THR/APS who contacts me privately, I am willing to share my real name, and I often do so.  Oleg knows (or should know) me because we have emailed back and forth using my primary (name identified) email address.

It's all the unknown lurkers out there that I'm concerned about. rolleyes

Anyone who really knows me could probably figure it out from some details that I posted relating to various incidents, etc.

On another forum, I do post under my own name - in Gaelic    laugh

I've thought about changing my thr/aps name to àrd_giuthas    grin

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:26:57 AM »
I have started using my real name at the forums that I most recently joined, and I should be fine. The only people that have the power to scare me, already know who I am. 
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 08:44:06 AM »
Fake names are fun.   cheesy

You all may call me Josh, if you like.  What should we call you, Huck? 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2007, 08:59:51 AM »
google sees all and records it...

i prefer a buffer layer of abstraction
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

The Viking

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 09:09:57 AM »
Even though I use a pseudonym here, I'm fairly easy to find. My hometown is listed in my profile (I think), and I've posted a large pic of my chest with my very identifying tattoo), so finding me wouldn't be that hard if somebody wanted to.

On some other forums though, I would never post anything that is remotely related to my hometown, where I work, pictures of me or anything that could identify me. Some scary folks on those forums (nazis, commies, general psychotic people...)...

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 09:37:59 AM »
I do post at one forum under my real name(it's required for that board), and haven't had a problem. It'd be very easy to track down my real name. The reason I stick with this screename is simple. I use it everywhere, and people know me by it. It would be a hassle to switch everything over at this point, so I don't. The small amount of (admittedly dubious)anonymity it provides is nice, since I'm a minor government official in a very small town. As I said, anyone who wanted to could find me easily. I think some of my more "radical" views would displease my boss, so I try to keep things separate....
Hi.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 09:57:37 AM »
My name's in my sig. I prefer to keep my surname just a little more private.
Andy

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 11:46:16 AM »
I don't hide my identity, but I've had reason to regret it.

On the subject of the V-22 osprey, the testing of which pretty much took over my life from 2001-now, I became sort of an icon of reporting the good, along with the bad. It's been a moral issue for me. In the process of debunking certain strident critics of the plane in several on-line forums, I became the object of derision of a couple of diehard critics who used the same principles of argument we see all the time on DU or daily KOS. One POS even wrote a 3-page letter to the Secretary of Defense demanding I be fired, investigated, jailed, or shot. Nothing came of it, and the whole mess made me more of a hero to the Marines flying Ospreys at New River, and got me a raise to boot. But it was a pain to go through.

Moral of the tale: there ARE nutjobs on the intarwebz; stay clear of them.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 12:04:41 PM »
I've been using Monkeyleg for a long time, and on many forums. I don't see a need for change.

On THR and TFL, I've posted all sorts of threads that contain my real first and last name, so it's no secret.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 12:42:33 PM »
All of my forum signatures contain a link to my book(s) on Amazon, so there's no point in being sly.  Devonai was my first choice when I established my first private e-mail account in 1995 so I stuck with it.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

bill larry

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2007, 01:42:37 PM »
My first post on my first visit to APS...

"bill larry" is short for William Lawrence....go figure...

of course, those are just my first and middle names... grin

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2007, 03:30:33 PM »
I can't remember my pre-nom d'internet.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
Re: Abandoning the pseudonym for the real name: pro and con?
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2007, 04:39:57 PM »
I'm not concerned about people knowing who I am.  I am, however, concerned about people tracking my online activities by googling my name.  I've cut my google hits down to near zero for the past 5 years.  Anyone with a valid reason to contact me can PM me on any forum I'm on, and get further contact info that way.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 04:48:23 PM »
Like The Viking, my given and Christian names are fairly ease to find for those intersted.  So my pseudonym is not really an attempt to obscure my legal ID, but rather a reflection who *MY* self is and not that bestowed by my line and my parents. 

But its not one I'll abandon soon since it has fit for 10+ years and I've grown attached to it.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

BakerMikeRomeo

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 06:16:22 PM »
I don't like it when people say my name online. My friends from school are all the time doing it over the chat in Day of Defeat and the like, and I'm all "Dude, it's BA-KER. C'mon!"

It's not that I have any delusions about people not being able to find the real Baker Mike, it's just that hearing my name from or around a bunch of electronic strangers bugs me. And I like making up names for myself.

Besides, BakerMikeRomeo is just bastard phonetic alphabet(s) for my initials anyhow.

~BakerMike

DustinD

• I have a title
  • friends
  • I have a personal text message
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 07:29:39 PM »
Using my real name Dustin Doyle, and location Saint Michael, MN, has only helped me so far. I have gotten free advice, and make a few friends that would not have bothered if they did not know I was local.
"I don't always shoot defenceless women in the face, but when I do, I prefer H-S Precision.

Stay bloodthirsty, my friends."

- Lon Horiuchi

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 07:34:03 PM »
"Spam-bots" says it all. You can spell your name out in a way that anyone with an IQ over 60 can know what it is, but if you actually spell it out you're asking to hear from them.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2007, 06:03:38 AM »
Okay, I give up ... my real name is Richard Head, but most people call me "Dick"  grin
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 06:33:12 AM »
Okay, I give up ... my real name is Richard Head, but most people call me "Dick"  grin

Hey- are you from Holden, Mass?

Nope, sorry, that was Richard Hurtz from Holden, Mass.

Must be a cousin?
One day at a time.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 06:41:48 AM »

There was a guy in my fraternity named Richard Head, he preferred to be called Rich.

Charby is a nickname that I have had for many years, being born in the 1970's my first name, Chris (short for Christian) was quite popular so being several in my class we all took on nicknames to keep us straight. Charby is just a shortened version of my last name, Charbonneaux. Try saying that three times fast if you are unfamiliar with french pronunciation.

Six letter name such as Charby is much easier than 21 letters of my first and last name combined on a BBS.

-Charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536