Author Topic: Really Bad Luck - POW 3 Times  (Read 1210 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Really Bad Luck - POW 3 Times
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:12:48 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Kyoungjong
In Manchuria, Yang as conscripted into the Imperial Japanese Army to fight the Soviet Union.  He was captured by the Soviets and sent to a labor camp.  In 1942 is was forced to fight for the Soviets against the Nazis on the eastern front.  He was captured by the Germans in 1943 and from there is was forced to fight in the D-Day invasion near Utah Beach where he was captured by US paratroopers in 1944.  He later emigrated from Russia to the USA and lived in Illinois, where he passed in 1992.

ETA: http://ww2images.blogspot.com/2013/04/korean-yang-kyoungjong-captured-in.html

« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:21:11 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Really Bad Luck - POW 3 Times
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 01:36:12 PM »
I don't know how bad his luck was. I'd look at it this way: he went from Japanese conscript to Russian prisoner to German prisoner to American prisoner.

Sounds like his luck only got better as time went on.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:36:37 PM »
I dunno, fighting in three of the worst areas in WWII and wasn't killed, and ended up in America afterwards. Guy seems damn lucky to me.  =D
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 01:39:50 PM »
I dunno, fighting in three of the worst areas in WWII and wasn't killed, and ended up in America afterwards. Guy seems damn lucky to me.  =D

Oh, man. I thought so to. But then I caught this:

He later emigrated from Russia to the USA and lived in Illinois, where he passed in 1992.

I guess he was just a glutton for punishment.

(I KID! (sort of) I KID!)

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »
Oh, man. I thought so to. But then I caught this:

I guess he was just a glutton for punishment.

(I KID! (sort of) I KID!)

If we ever bring in a raft of Norks we should ship them IL so they can feel at home.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 06:02:08 PM »
If we ever bring in a raft of Norks we should ship them IL so they can feel at home.

Under Governor Bloomberg.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:55:57 PM »

They might be able to straighten the place out if you could get enough of them elected.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 06:49:38 AM »
They might be able to straighten the place out if you could get enough of them elected.

And the difference between NORK commies and Illinois Democrats is what, exactly?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 07:03:55 AM »
And the difference between NORK commies and Illinois Democrats is what, exactly?

stay safe.

The quality of their diet?

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:03:49 AM »
The movie "My Way" (Korean with subtitles) is based on his life, pretty good movie, but not for kids.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 12:25:36 PM »

stay safe.

One prefers meth, one prefers cocaine?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 01:25:01 PM »
http://cherrieswriter.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/the-incredibly-stupid-one-at-the-hanoi-hilton/

Someone put this on Fb the other day and it is now my favorite POW story. How many people would have the presence of mind to begin immediate and convincing deception while in the middle of a pretty dire survival situation? Moreover, it had to have been enabled by Hegdahl's honest self-assessment of his place in life and how to weaponize it. His whole ruse would have been unavailable to any POW with more rank and/or self-importance. It also reminds me that someone who is popularly regarded as a military soup sandwich may actually be quite valuable if you find out how they tick.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 02:04:34 PM »
http://cherrieswriter.wordpress.com/2014/03/17/the-incredibly-stupid-one-at-the-hanoi-hilton/

Someone put this on Fb the other day and it is now my favorite POW story. How many people would have the presence of mind to begin immediate and convincing deception while in the middle of a pretty dire survival situation? Moreover, it had to have been enabled by Hegdahl's honest self-assessment of his place in life and how to weaponize it. His whole ruse would have been unavailable to any POW with more rank and/or self-importance. It also reminds me that someone who is popularly regarded as a military soup sandwich may actually be quite valuable if you find out how they tick.

:cool:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.