Author Topic: AK optics: the right and wrong way  (Read 28278 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: AK optics: the right and wrong way
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
Just came back to reading this thread after a week.

Lord, give me a Russian uniform and a ticket to Moscow.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2011, 05:22:29 PM »

I give you, the Russian Army's new issue rifle, the AK74M3:

Interesting bunch of tech bolted onto that AK.  Have they managed a bolt hold-open yet?

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AtteroArms

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 11:13:41 PM »
Hello,

A brief statement regarding the ‘Twisterx44/Nate’ controversy:

This will be posted on all the ‘Twisterx44’ threads that we can locate.

Nate from Attero has been reprimanded for his blatant disregard for our honesty policy at Attero, as well as a lack of respect for the online firearms community. All of you deserve nothing but the truth. Subsequently, and effective immediately, he will no longer be speaking on behalf of the company on any internet forums. Additionally, he will be overseas shortly and will not have much involvement with the company during his yearlong absence.

We at Attero will be working hard to regain the trust and respect of the firearms community, particularly the online firearms community. We understand that a member of our team made an extremely poor decision, and we can assure you that it will not happen again, period. We do not expect an immediate withdrawal of the animosity that was generated from this incident. Just know that we will be dedicated to creating innovative and affordable products while delivering top-notch customer service. Additionally, we will be nothing but 100% honest.

On another note, it appears there is a general belief that the Attero AK SBR is overpriced. Our sales team and production team will be looking into the budgeting process to tighten up the MSRP to somewhere closer to what has been estimated to be a ‘fair price’. We value our customers’/potential customers’ feedback, and will adjust accordingly. Just keep in mind we have labor and some machining to figure in.
Thank you for your time. Rather than just apologizing repeatedly, let us show you why we deserve your business, even if it takes 15, 20, or 100 positive reviews from other satisfied customers.

-Attero Arms

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »
Hello,

A brief statement regarding the ‘Twisterx44/Nate’ controversy:...

Interesting. I'd been following Attero on Facebook, and had been keeping my yapper shut about the shilling over there. If it's as you say, one misguided employee not acting on behalf or with the knowledge of other employees or the company's ownership, I hope everyone can move past it.

Owning a Draco, and needing only SBR paperwork and a stock, I'm not in a market for your AK SBR, but I will admit I'm rather excited about your AOW pump shotgun pistol. Your stated price goal of $600 is definitely attractive.
I promise not to duck.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2011, 07:39:09 PM »
I give you, the Russian Army's new issue rifle, the AK74M3:
Is that a Ruskie take on the currently popular Eotech + Magnifier combination?
Also, I want a GP-30 (Assuming that's what it has). Bad.  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2011, 08:54:29 PM »
That grenade launcher needs to be mounted on a Saiga-12.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2011, 10:35:31 PM »

It would be a game-changer for sure.  =D
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2011, 10:49:37 PM »
I really want to build one, but between the NFA taxes, having to hand fab that launcher and a bayonet, and all the time involved it would be a pretty damn expensive range toy.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2011, 10:46:22 AM »
Sorry, you missed my "Sons of Guns" joke there.  Every episode, the owner of Red Jacket would say "This will be a game changer!" in response to their project of the week.  =D

This should arrive for my Draco pistol today in fact.

I'll post pictures when I can.

I'm running out of stuff to do to the darn thing. I've got Plum K-Var/Arsenal US furniture on it, 20 round mags for the tanker/PDW look. A pair of 40 round RPK magazines for the slightly ridiculous "Backdrop of a terrorist video" look. I'm going to be forced to form a trust and pay the $200 to SBR the damn thing soon.  =D
I promise not to duck.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2011, 12:51:01 PM »
Sorry, you missed my "Sons of Guns" joke there.  Every episode, the owner of Red Jacket would say "This will be a game changer!" in response to their project of the week.  =D

My bad, I was caught up in my "Abomination" reference.

FWIW, Red Jacket lost me when they tried to pitch a select fire Mk19 as a useful law enforcement tool.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2011, 02:41:43 PM »

FWIW, Red Jacket lost me when they tried to pitch a select fire Mk19 as a useful law enforcement tool.

Is that what it took?  :laugh:

Honestly, I doubt that much of it is "real" as in "Seriously trying to market/create these ideas" to or for various buyers. It's just done to try and make "good TV" for non-gun people.

Will is over on Saiga-12 forum once and awhile, and he'll defend some things, but is silent on a whole lot more. And will give you a big wink if you post something that you understand that getting paid to have cameras follow them around and blow stuff up is a deal few would pass up.

Tromix, Wilson Combat, Knights Armament, Scattergun Tech... hell, just about any player in the SOT field would look darn well the same as Red Jacket does when the producers and editors got done with them. Personally, I'd run around in assless chaps and a chicken mask singing kumbyah for what Red Jacket is getting paid for the show.  (Note. Anyone here crosses me, I will pollute your mind with worse!  =D ) So I cut them plenty of slack.

The idea of being able to pop smoke, and throw CS or other non/less-lethals at a distance of a few hundred yards, rather than a dozen at some stand-off scene? Yeah, that I can see as useful. Needing a Mk19... Yeah...  :laugh:
I promise not to duck.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »

Russian SWAT cars have an AGS mount FWIW.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2011, 05:46:31 PM »
Russian SWAT cars have an AGS mount FWIW.

That's probably not the only aspect of Russian Law Enforcement I would find unacceptable in the US.

AJ, I did get the feeling that he's laughing a lot on that show, and I'm sure he's making money hand over fist following the OCC business model.  I don't blame him for doing it, it's just that it makes me want to scream at the TV too much to actually watch.  I hope he makes a ton of cash and normalizes NFA weapons to the point that we get the registry opened, I just can't watch him do it.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2011, 06:16:14 PM »
LE having a select fire Mk19 and Tear gas grenades?  I see nothing wrong with it.
However, we all know, most LE agencies in this country have replaced Protect and serve with Paramilitary and cool toyz!!!!!....I surely wouldn't be surprised to hear about LE employing actual grenades against suspects.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2011, 07:39:14 PM »

How many gun laws does that violate?
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2011, 08:18:47 PM »
If a Saiga 12 with a GP30 is wrong, I don't wanna be right!  =D
When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »
LE having a select fire Mk19 and Tear gas grenades?  I see nothing wrong with it.
However, we all know, most LE agencies in this country have replaced Protect and serve with Paramilitary and cool toyz!!!!!....I surely wouldn't be surprised to hear about LE employing actual grenades against suspects.

This is an AGS mount.

And this is some cop gear:

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »

<mhi> "all of them".</mhi>
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2011, 09:38:16 PM »
And this is some cop gear:

I recognize the grenade launcher, and the insane 4-bore pump shotgun (usually used for less-lethals though... they make the barrels from factory second 23mm aircraft cannon barrel segments.  =D )

Then there's the Saiga or Molot (need to see the grip, or if there's a magwell...)

What's the SMG at the top of the next row? That looks pretty cool, like a Polish PM63?

Then there's the VSS Vintorez, the 9x39 subsonic sniper rifle with the football shaped bullets with an extreme bot tail shape.

And Rockin the '74 with the UTG rail covers...  :laugh:

Anyway, if anybody cared, as promised, here's my Draco AK pistol with the Midwest Industries AK Mini-Dot mount that replaces the rear sight leaf. And I've got a 20 round Romanian "tanker" magazine, in homage to the Draco's roots as the Romanian AMIR carbine AK variant they produce for their armor crews and special forces.

Try as I might, I can barely get the camera to pick up the K-Var Russian plum furniture, it just looks black.  =|

I promise not to duck.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2011, 07:28:13 AM »
The Grenade Launcher (GM-94) on the far left of that picture is badass.  =D

I've seen it in use in a couple of videos.

Spetznaz Kill Two Militants in Dagestan

Chris Ryan (Retired SAS): GM-94 Grenade Launcher

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2011, 03:32:51 PM »
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2012, 09:39:13 AM »
I am bumping this thread, but I have damn good reason.

Izhmash - the factory making the original Kalashnikov rifle - announced prototypes for the next-generation AK-12.

And this is what the right way to mount AK optics is, according to the people who invented Kalashnikov rifles.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2012, 09:53:19 AM »
The new lines to the receiver dust cover... sort of looks like there's some AN-94 DNA in there...

No reason, just a gut impression.

The picture is too small to tell for sure, but it looks like they may have gone to a left-side charging handle and safety.
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2012, 10:00:18 AM »
The picture is too small to tell for sure, but it looks like they may have gone to a left-side charging handle and safety.

They also may have inverted the image.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought