Author Topic: HELP!!My computer is down.  (Read 12481 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: HELP!!My computer is down.
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 02:53:17 PM »
OK, but WHY?  Warmer circuits means more resistance?

Partly this ^^, partly because heat facilitates electron migration, a degradation of the semiconducting silicon circuits in the CPU.  And like anything else, heat can simply cause physical damage to the structure of the CPU.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2011, 07:35:41 PM »
Once again I'd like to thank you all kindly...  ;)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2011, 07:42:40 PM »
Happy to be of assistance.  And remember not to lick your finger.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2011, 12:25:40 AM »
As cited above,
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Maximum-CPU-Temperature/143/1

Microprocessors heat due to Joule effect, which is the process of transforming electrical energy into heat. Inside the CPU there are several wires (conductors) in charge of its internal interconnections. The Joule effect appears due to the shock between electrons and the conductor ion mesh, leading to an increase in the temperature of the conductor.

Nah. 

The microprocessor is a bunch of switches.

A perfect switch will not dissipate power.

Power makes/is heat. No power, no heat.

If the perfect switch is ON, the resistance is zero.   If its resistance is zero, no power is disspiated, since

P = I^2 * R

and since R = 0, P =0 too.  No heat.

If the perfect  switch is OFF, the resistance is infinite and no current will flow through it.  If no current flows through it, the I term is zero, and power is also zero.  And, again, no heat.

But.

Transistors ain't perfect switches with a square-wave function on-and-off cycle.  Therefore in some areas in its on and off cycle, the resistance will not be a square-wave from zero to infinity, and during that part of its cycle power will be developed and the transistor will be dissipating heat.

Now with a real slow "clock time", say a one Hz clock, this transition period between being completely on or completely off is a very small portion of the cycle.

But as the clock frequency goes up, this transitional period (which is the part of the cycle that generates heat) becomes a greater and greater proportion of the transistor's on-off cycle.

That's why faster processors make more heat and need more sinking and fanning.

So there.

This is not to say that heat isn't generated elsewhere in the processor, but that's one of the main reasons, and, once again, why it is that the faster you go, the hotter you get.

Terry, 230RN

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 12:46:16 AM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2011, 01:55:08 AM »
Quote from: 280plus
HELP!!My computer is down.

And it can't get up?   =D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2011, 06:26:19 AM »
Thnks to 230 for the info and DD for the first laugh of the day.  :laugh:

OK, new question.
I dowloaded that speedfan thing. It shows 2 of three fans (2 & 3) at 0% and their respective temps at 127C. #1 is at 3140 and 21C. I'm pretty darn sure without ripping it all apart again these fans are running. Can I assume the program is not "seeing" fans 2 & 3? Is there a standard numbering order so I know which fan is which. I'm assuming # 1 is the cpu.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2011, 07:36:48 AM »
At least with my systems, the CPU temp is always the hottest one. Also, it's entirely possible that Speedfan can't monitor one or more fans on your system. It has its limitations.

I'm assuming 127 C is a typo? I usually get temps of 40 to 55, or higher. It's when the CPU goes north of 55 that I get worried. However, you'll have to look up the specs for your particular CPU, how much heat it can handle. That's the hard part.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2011, 08:05:15 AM »
No, I have to assume, once again, that is what it defaults to (127C) when it doesn't see a signal.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2011, 10:23:35 AM »
Kind of like the gas gauge on my F-150. I thought the sender was part of the pump so I put a new tank and pump in with putting in a sender. Duh... So without a signal the gas gauge is buried past full.  ;/

Yes, sometimes I do screw up. Hard to believe, I know.  :P

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2011, 10:31:55 AM »
Yes, sometimes I do screw up.

I find that's easier on the back.

DD

(He aims, shoots, and goes for 2!)
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2011, 10:42:16 AM »
I have to say I concur with you on that.  >:D

Anyhoo, so I clicked in the speedfan and my idle cpu was 22C which I think is like 72? So I went into DFLW and played about 5 minutes worth with lots of grenades going off which were locking me up and cpu temp went up to 35C / 95F. Interesting...

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2011, 10:48:29 AM »
Welp, can't help you on the tetchnical schtuff, but I'll try to be Johnny on the spot with the distractions.  I mean, I'm competent enough, but the only languages I really worked with were Fortran G and DOS batch files.  I can read along and understand most of the wirey things, but I try not to mess with them too much.

DD

Oh, I did leave some soothing music over in your FaceBook thread.  Might help you get through this computer crisis.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2011, 10:53:08 AM »
Fortran D for me. Too bad I didn't figure out programming was the way to go way back then. Cause I could do it.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58:02 AM »
Fortran D for me. Too bad I didn't figure out programming was the way to go way back then. Cause I could do it.

Ditto.  I was put off by the punch cards.  Too much heavy lifting. <G>  I'm starting to fiddle around a bit with Visual Basic.  Just so I can make more impressive spreadsheets.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2011, 11:02:51 AM »
Right, I forgot about the cards.  :laugh:

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »
Right, I forgot about the cards.  :laugh:

Yeah.  I've never gotten a paper cut from a flash drive.  But then, you can't fold up a bunch of flash drives, glue them together and spray paint them to make cheesey little Christmas wreaths.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2011, 11:23:05 AM »
Wow. I even forgot about the cheesy christmas wreaths. You are taking me wayyyy back here.  :laugh:

Do you remember the cheesy christmas trees we made out of reader's digests, green paint and glitter?  [barf]

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2011, 12:42:01 PM »
Do you remember the cheesy christmas trees we made out of reader's digests, green paint and glitter?  [barf]

Yep.
A) The Mother-In-Law used to make those, and

2) I ran into a few .gifs of those whilst looking for the wreath:

Just one sample.  I could prolly post a selection if you'd like...  :cool:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
-P.F.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2011, 03:48:11 PM »
Fistful remarked,

I'm assuming 127 C is a typo? I usually get temps of 40 to 55, or higher.

127 dF is about 53 dC.

I'm wondering if there isn't a C<>F mixup here.

Is that program settable for C<>F? Maybe the program is looking for one and getting/reporting the other.

Heat:

I recall one server (which I was going to use for a reg'lar old computer) where the cooling system was so screwed up it was laughable.  For one thing, the intake fan was right next to a big cutout for a drive or something.  Like Homer Simpson:  "Air goes in, air comes out.  Air goes in, air comes out.  Air goes in, air comes out."

In addition, the frame had a whole bunch of holes for thisa-and-thata, along with a bunch of vent holes in the bottom, and there was no wonder fresh air wasn't getting near the processor. and it kept shutting down.  In one sense, it was well-ventilated, but the cooling outside air wasn't getting anywhere near the processor/fan.*

Me fix:

Terry, 230RN

ETA:  I also recall now, after writing the above, that at the time, IBM had a kit for closing up some of these holes.  Which makes me believe they were belatedly aware of the problem.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 04:07:11 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
I think it defaults to that if it sees no signal. Everything she's a run good.  ;)

Speedfan is cool.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2011, 04:02:47 PM »
127C is 260F so I think I'd be smelling funny burning smells if the info was correct.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
I have to say I concur with you on that.  >:D

Anyhoo, so I clicked in the speedfan and my idle cpu was 22C which I think is like 72? So I went into DFLW and played about 5 minutes worth with lots of grenades going off which were locking me up and cpu temp went up to 35C / 95F. Interesting...

What sort of CPU are you running? I run old Pentium 4s and Pentium Ds, so I'd kill for some 35 C cpu temps.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2011, 05:46:49 PM »
P4? apparently dual core because the fanspeed is showing data for 2 cores.?

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2011, 07:57:29 PM »
P4? apparently dual core because the fanspeed is showing data for 2 cores.?

Maybe not.  You could be seeing the temps from both the CPU and the mobo.  Some mobos have sensors to provide system temp readings.  Hard drives can have temp sensors, too.
Download a copy of cpu-z (cpuz.exe).  It's a freebie that can tell you a lot of stuff about your system, including the type of CPU you are running.
An alternate to that would be the free version of Sandra.  I think it's called Sandra-Lite.  It's from SiSoftware.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2011, 09:30:46 PM »
only fans that are hooked up to 3pin(or 4) plugs on the MB can be tracked. but that limits the power available, you'll see some fans with a molex connector, and the 3(or 4)pin plug, but the extra wires make a rats nest out of you case. you can buy fan controllers to show you fan speed, and let you turn down your fans from a drive bay. =D but again, it's more wires. :facepalm:

if it's dual core it'll show 2 processors in task manager.

if you're really bothered by proc heat, you can always go water cooled.(not a recommendation of seller, just a handy link. and all my old links for this seem dead) or if budget is no issue, a peltier cooler based setup. [popcorn]