Author Topic: HELP!!My computer is down.  (Read 12479 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Re: HELP!!My computer is down.
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:46 PM »
if it's dual core it'll show 2 processors in task manager.

Yeah, but that ain't got near the cool lotso information factor of CPU-Z or Sandra Lite.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2011, 12:24:11 AM »
nope, but it's fast. =)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2011, 06:42:53 AM »
It only shows one temp which I presume is the cpu. It shows voltage values at the bottom of the window for "Vcore 1" and "Vcore 2" whatever those are.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2011, 06:53:29 AM »
Yes, I now recall the cpu fan being 3 wires and the other two being two wires.  =)

I worked on cooling water systems for electronics in the Navy. I like the Peltier thing but I imagine it is very inefficient?

280plus

• friend
« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2011, 06:58:38 AM »
I'll tell you. It;s nice to open the task manager now without PC Tools installed and watch the thing do absolutely nothing. It was always doing stuff when I had the PC Tools running. Talk about bloatware.  [barf]

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2011, 07:24:22 AM »
It only shows one temp which I presume is the cpu. It shows voltage values at the bottom of the window for "Vcore 1" and "Vcore 2" whatever those are.

That may refer to virtual cores, if your CPU is a single-core Pentium with hyper-threading, like the one I'm using right now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

280plus

• friend
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2011, 08:05:39 AM »
Ooooo, hyper threading. I like it already.  =D

I believe this is a 2004 machine and Pentium 4 chip. if that tells you anything. No time to fiddle with it right now or I'd go a downloading and a figgering out what's in there. Doesn't it already tell me some of this somewhere here with what I have now?

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2011, 08:09:08 AM »
Or LN2, like a Cray.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2011, 10:16:44 AM »
Now we're talkin'!  ;)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2011, 08:11:57 PM »
280plus:

I worked on cooling water systems for electronics in the Navy. I like the Peltier thing but I imagine it is very inefficient?

Seems that way:

A coworker of mine had a little ~1cu ft Peltier 'fridge for keeping sammiches and pop cool at the office and was very dissatisfied with it, so I bought it from her for $5 just to be able to poke a stick at it.

It took 4 amps at 12 volts to run it off its rather large wall socket power supply and would not go below 44dF inside, with about 1/2" of foam insulation in the walls and door all around.  I opened up the back side and you could see they had a lot of trouble isolating the heat generated by all that wattage from the cold "generated" by the Peltier "chip" and it even had a 100% duty cycle fan in it to reject that 48 watts it took to run it, plus whatever heat it sucked out of the storage volume. (Plus the fan power, too.)

The basic problem was the heat conduction path from the cold surface of the Peltier junction to the hot rejection surface worked both ways, so it was sort of like trying to reverse  the flow of a big river with an irrigation pump.

You would've done better by keeping your pop in a wet sock with a fan blowing across it.

I now use it just to store a couple of cans of King Black.

I just took it out to look at it for this post, and it doesn't have a brand name on it, but it says "Model 1115" on the back.  I didn't want to open it up to get a mfr's name.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 08:56:56 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #85 on: March 23, 2011, 10:23:05 PM »
not that i have one, keep meaning to buy one. but somehow there's always something else needing money. =|

but from what i've been told by people that use them, the pelter coolers work really good. as long as every thing in them is cold before turning it on.

that and the cooling unit is only as good as the heat sink(2 in a cooler) and the insulation around the cooler. maybe it's missing the heat transfer goo? :angel: :laugh:

some more reading, if you're board enough. =D

edit: link i forgot.