Author Topic: Hello APS, new member intro  (Read 10904 times)

birdman

• friend
Hello APS, new member intro
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:16:15 PM »
Hello all, this site was recommended by a close friend so here goes my introduction post (flame away, if you so desire)

I am an engineer, working for a large defense contractor, where I run an advanced concepts group.  I also consult for a variety of companies, primarily on the design of nuclear power plants.  Politically, I am libertarian (well, I'd almost have to be, after sharing a fraternity and school with the party's founder).  I enjoy good debate across the board on any issue, provided it is well researched---I'll be the first to admit it if proven wrong...but there had better be sources cited! :)

Interest wise, I race cars and motorcycles (and collect both), and enjoy a variety of shooting activties (everything from short range pistol work to LONG range with my 338LM), reloading, and reading.

Beliefs--I worked my way up, put myself through school working 3 jobs, and believe in personal responsibility, individual rights, and patriotism (in the purest sense.  This is the greatest country on earth, because it was founded on those three things, so I feel sharing those beliefs puts me in pretty good company).

In any case, I hope I landed on the right board...otherwise, this might be the most flame-attracting post EVER!

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: Hello APS, new member intro
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 02:24:17 PM »
Welcome! New guy buys beer and ammo for the rest. I'll have Sam Adams, and a few bricks of .22LR, thankyouverymuch =D.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 02:29:52 PM »
I'm not a beer guy. I'll be happy with a case of 6.8 SPC, solely. "Tactical" loading, please, and those 85g Barnes TSX Bullets.  [ar15]

:lol:

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »
You're at the right place.  Welcome.  =)

Based on your nuclear power plant experience, I'm rather curious what you think about the situation in Japan right now?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 02:39:30 PM »
Welcome, I second the Sam's and how about few boxes of 223.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
The board trends Libertarian-Right, and obviously likes guns, although since this is a spin off for non-gun discussions from another gun-board, there's not a ton of gun discussion here.

The main thing is to figure out the weird humor here. And the board's everlasting love of the movie Zardoz.

Hmmm, Screen name: Birdman. Occupation: Defense Contractor.

No chance you're affiliated with these guys? http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2007/05/25/birdman-weapons-systems-homeboy-nyte-sytes/

I promise not to duck.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
I'll take some .45 ACP and heiniken.

and you certainly are welcome here...

Although I question your sainity for wanting to join us  =D

And FIREFLY!!! (bad aj for forgetting firefly!)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 02:45:09 PM »
Welcome to the dark side, young Jedi...

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 02:46:23 PM »
A bottle of Red Stag and in lieu of ammo a box of 45ACP bullets from Nosler, 185 HP's.

Welcome and remember it's all fistful's fault.  Once you learn that it all falls into place.  ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 02:56:47 PM »
I brought Birdman here, but I cannot be responsible for anything he does or says :-)    [popcorn] [popcorn]

Welcome, buddy!
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 02:58:00 PM »
Ignore the beer and bullets hazing.  All new members submit to paddling and binge drinking.

:laugh:

Welcome aboard.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

birdman

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 03:05:43 PM »
Wow, good stuff.

And FIREFLY!!! (bad aj for forgetting firefly!)
Yes, I like firefly as well (who doesn't?).

I'm not a beer guy. I'll be happy with a case of 6.8 SPC, solely. "Tactical" loading, please, and those 85g Barnes TSX Bullets.  
beer and ammo...damn, thats what my paycheck turns into, how did you know!?  (though, the most exotic request was sam and 6.8SPC...phew, I thought it was gonna be some of my 338LM and some weird belgian beer!)

Hmmm, Screen name: Birdman. Occupation: Defense Contractor.
No chance you're affiliated with these guys? http://www.myconfinedspace.com/2007/05/25/birdman-weapons-systems-homeboy-nyte-sytes/

No, not the same birdman...but that is damn funny (though, probably limited in sales if it was real since anyone who holds a weapon that way probably doesn't know how to align sights on the target)

Based on your nuclear power plant experience, I'm rather curious what you think about the situation in Japan right now?
How did I know japan would come up...well, since I am actually rather tired of talking about this (its hard enough to spend all day working on related stuff.  I can summarize quickly...
1. that kind of thing can't happen here
2. new plants, it REALLY can't happen here
3. plants I work on developing, (genIV)( are prevented by the laws of physics from having any core damage from occuring
4. the MSM sucks...and can't report anything accurately
5. its amazing how many people can't (undersand the metric system (micro/mili), understand that radiation is all around us, and are the modern day equivalent of a caveman being afraid of the night taking away the sun, because he doesn't understand how it works...I wish people would just TRY to learn (even wikipedia is pretty much accurate on how nuke stuff works!)...
6. We in teh industry see japan in almost a glass half full fashion...what occured was the ABSOLUTE WORST CASE (for a real plant, not some POS russian one that didn't even have a containment building), and the overall impact was really small (in terms of long term damage and loss of life)...so I think people should concentrate more on teh OTHER effects of the disaster (how come no media is reporting on the massive petroleum spills at refineries, the associated loss of life, gas main breaks and deaths, etc...
7. Even if you INCLUDE chernoybl and japan, on a loss of life per TWhr basis, nuclear is the safest of ANY power production method (and thats even not fair, I'm including worst case accidents for nuclear, but not long term loss of life from pollution and production for fossil fuels).

Anyway, can we drop that  topic for now? please :)

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 03:15:16 PM »
Anyway, can we drop that  topic for now? please :)

Of course; thanks for obliging.  =)

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 03:20:20 PM »
I'm responsible for that. I picked his brain for the better part of two days about it.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 03:25:31 PM »
Let's see: a self-made libertarian engineer who likes fast guns, cars and motorcycles, and believes in personal responsibility.

I think you have the wrong forum. :D

Welcome, birdman.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 03:58:01 PM »
Greetings and salutations.
I will take a box of 9mm and .223, also some Leinenkugel.  =)

ETA:  Toss in a bottle of Lindemans Kriek.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 04:06:22 PM »
1 - You have not identified the alien overlord(s) you have sworn fealty to. Minus 2 points.
2 - You are not an attorney.  Plus 3 points.
3 - You are willing to provide beer and ammo.  Plus 1 point.  (A nice bock, and .45AR, if you please.)
4 - You said "it could never happen."  Minus 5 points.
5 - You both race and collect gas-guzzling destroyers of Mother Gia.  Plus 2 points.
6 - You think you landed on the right board.  Minus 1 point for brash optimism and minus 1 point for foolhardiness.
7 - You withheld the identity of the person who led you to this den of iniquity.  Plus 2 points.
8 - You did not indicate if you duct-tape ceramic plates to your back when firing 388LM.  Plus 2 points.
9 - Two posts on the same thread and you have not veered off topic.  Minus 1 point.
10 - You have not run screaming from the board with imprecations of revenge.  No points.

OK.  You seem to be about right for this group of happy wanderers.

Now - for the finial initiation ritual.  Do you apply sauce to yout BBQ before, during, or only after cooking?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
1 - You have not identified the alien overlord(s) you have sworn fealty to. Minus 2 points.
2 - You are not an attorney.  Plus 3 points.
3 - You are willing to provide beer and ammo.  Plus 1 point.  (A nice bock, and .45AR, if you please.)
4 - You said "it could never happen."  Minus 5 points.
5 - You both race and collect gas-guzzling destroyers of Mother Gia.  Plus 2 points.
6 - You think you landed on the right board.  Minus 1 point for brash optimism and minus 1 point for foolhardiness.
7 - You withheld the identity of the person who led you to this den of iniquity.  Plus 2 points.
8 - You did not indicate if you duct-tape ceramic plates to your back when firing 388LM.  Plus 2 points.
9 - Two posts on the same thread and you have not veered off topic.  Minus 1 point.
10 - You have not run screaming from the board with imprecations of revenge.  No points.

OK.  You seem to be about right for this group of happy wanderers.

Now - for the finial initiation ritual.  Do you apply sauce to yout BBQ before, during, or only after cooking?

stay safe.

VA,
I think with the statement of 338LM, you would have to assume that he is duct-taping ceramic plates to his back.  He should have stated that he wasn't, so Minus 2 points.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 04:14:49 PM »
Now - for the finial initiation ritual.  Do you apply sauce to yout BBQ before, during, or only after cooking?

stay safe.

I believe an "all three" option needs to be available- Before, during, after and a little more while I'm eating it.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »
Also, you failed to mention your views on the following:
1: Detcord
2: Bacon
3: Fistful
4: Zardoz
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 04:20:27 PM »
1: Detcord
2: Bacon
3: Fistful
4: Zardoz

Hey, he's new. He's doesn't know about Fistful.

We all know whose fault that is.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 04:38:20 PM »
Well, lets see here:
1 - You have not identified the alien overlord(s) you have sworn fealty to. Minus 2 points.  +2, I AM the alien overlord (I only came here because we are at war with Pelosi's planet...I mean seriously, I'm waiting for her to peel the mask off like the original V aliens)
2 - You are not an attorney.  Plus 3 points. YAY!
4 - You said "it could never happen."  Minus 5 points. damn...should have clarified
5 - You both race and collect gas-guzzling destroyers of Mother Gia.  Plus 2 points. I also drive a 6.2L ford raptor to work...bonus points?
Now - for the finial initiation ritual.  Do you apply sauce to yout BBQ before, during, or only after cooking? depends on the meat, but usually all three (and fitz has my grill)
1: Detcord: I wish I had some...I have...stuff...that needs "modification", and by stuff, I mean anything I can find, and by modification, I mean, blow the crap out of...though, I prefer more exotic materials ;)
2: Bacon: awesome, and a key ingredient in fitz and my "ham and mozz. stuffed, bacon wrapped, syrup glazed pork chops"--yeah, we call it "the homer"
3: Fistful ...of dollars?  confused.
4: Zardoz connery rules, though not my favorite cult classic

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »
Well, lets see here:
Fistful is the one to blame. For everything. Including the fact that you don't know about him it.

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2011, 04:43:16 PM »
4: Zardoz connery rules, though not my favorite cult classic

What is your favorite cult classic?