Author Topic: Cast Iron Skillets  (Read 9110 times)

red headed stranger

• friend
Re: Cast Iron Skillets
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2013, 04:58:45 PM »
I have some of the newer Lodge skillets that are bumpy.  After a good seasoning, (helped along by daily bacon frying of course!) I have no trouble with eggs, or pancakes sticking. 

I bought one of the aforementioned "combo cookers" from Amazon to use while I waited for our kitchen goods to be moved.  I like it a lot.  The dutch oven part good for small batch frying and the skillet part is the perfect size for cooking 3 large eggs. 

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Logic-Pre-Seasoned-Combo-Cooker/dp/B0009JKG9M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357768388&sr=8-1&keywords=lodge+combo

Also, these handle mitts are nice to have:
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Striped-Handle-Holders-Mitts/dp/B000050AV8/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1357768620&sr=1-2&keywords=lodge+handle+mitt
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2013, 05:04:46 PM »
RHS, welding gloves are $7 for a 3 pr pack at harbor freight. Makes awesome oven mitts
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
RHS, welding gloves are $7 for a 3 pr pack at harbor freight. Makes awesome oven mitts

being a married guy having welding gloves in the kitchen doesn't fly.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »

I'm aware.  But those are convenient because you can just put them on the handle and they stay there. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2013, 11:20:41 AM »
being a married guy having welding gloves in the kitchen doesn't fly.

Only if they are the same ones you use for actual welding!  <- did this once out of desperation.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2013, 11:28:10 AM »
Only if they are the same ones you use for actual welding!  <- did this once out of desperation.

I have a pair she bought me for the BBQ and dutch oven, but I tried to keep them in the kitchen and got accosted for it.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2013, 12:15:09 PM »

I've done this.  Welding gloves rock for hot cast iron.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2013, 07:39:05 PM »
Slight thread necro.

I was wandering through Walmart today looking for a wort chiller and I noticed that they had Lodge cast iron cookware.

I picked up a 12" skillet for $15. I think it's the only thing in the store made in the US.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2013, 07:44:01 PM »
I've done this.  Welding gloves rock for hot cast iron.

I use old motorcycle gloves.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2013, 08:27:41 PM »
i picked up a flat lodge 10.5 inch griddle at walmart last weekend

its perfect for tortillas, pancakes and the low sides are great for flipping eggs

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lodge-10-1-2-Cast-Iron-Griddle/5969629
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 08:32:34 PM by Harold Tuttle »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2013, 08:32:29 PM »
I have a pair she bought me for the BBQ and dutch oven, but I tried to keep them in the kitchen and got accosted for it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
Slight thread necro.

I was wandering through Walmart today looking for a wort chiller and I noticed that they had Lodge cast iron cookware.

I picked up a 12" skillet for $15. I think it's the only thing in the store made in the US.
Yep they have it. Also check out the camping section near the utensils, lanterns, stoves, etc. They have more types over there than what they have with the cook ware.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2013, 10:39:09 AM »
In the last couple months I've transitioned over to using my cast iron and steel cookware almost exclusively.

I picked up a Lodge 3qt pot with frypan cover on Amazon as well as a carbon steel wok. That gives me three sizes of frypans/skillets a pot and a wok. My stainless pots have been getting used lately also.

The stuff I'm buying now will last me the rest of my life. The non-stick stuff is emblematic of our culture, lighter, more convenient, cheaper and has a built in obsolescence.

The non stick stuff is getting sidelined more and more.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »
In the last couple months I've transitioned over to using my cast iron and steel cookware almost exclusively.

I've been doing the same thing. I have one small stainless pot I use mostly for boiling water for coffee and stuff, another stainless pot with a steamer insert for doing vegetables, and then most everything else in one of three cast iron skillets / pots. I also got myself a big Pyrex casserole dish. Most all the non-stick is pushed to the back of the cabinet right now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #64 on: March 03, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »
All of my cast iron is probably older than me, 68.  Alot of the older brands are better than Lodge.  Some of them are Griswold, Favorite (my favorite), Martin.  I can't think of any others on the good list.  Wagner is hit of miss depending on the individual piece.  Some are great and some are stick city.  Cast iron is all I have ever cooked on.  chris3