Author Topic: Roku Stick vs Amazon Firestick vs a cheap Blu Ray player  (Read 14292 times)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Roku Stick vs Amazon Firestick vs a cheap Blu Ray player
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2016, 09:22:57 PM »

Tried Plex. I just went with Windows share instead. I use NAS as the server because small, cheap and power efficient, but PC would work too. Kodi or Roku uses Windows shares just fine. You can install Kodi on anything Android (including FireStick), Windows or Mac based. Mind you, you have to have your own content.

For streaming, Roku/FireStick/AppleTV is better choice.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 09:50:07 AM »
I'm currently on a Roku 3.  When my kids lost the remote for a REALLY long time I grabbed an Amazon Fire Stick to replace the Roku.

You could grab the Roku remote app for android, or ios. Works perfectly on every phone and tablet I've tried it on. As for Apple tv, I'm holding out until they have a native Prime app. I'm perfectly happy using my Xbox One and Plex.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 10:15:15 AM »
As for Apple tv, I'm holding out until they have a native Prime app.

Microsoft Publisher files have been used for decades and are one of the top five or six office productivity file formats extant, yet Apple steadfastly refuses to produce a product which will open them natively. Apple TV with a native Prime app? Yeah, right.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB