Author Topic: Kel-Tec releases Gen 3 Sub2k  (Read 952 times)

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: Kel-Tec releases Gen 3 Sub2k
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2024, 10:27:00 AM »
I am seriously considering getting one now. I don't have any PCCs, and this seems like a good price for what it is and for an initial dip into the PCC realm. Could be a good tuck away truck carbine for me, given my ccw gun uses the same mags.

The question is, wait for reviews, or be an early adopter?  :laugh:

I wish stupid Cabelas sold them - I have just about $400 in cabelas bucks right now.

You just hit  all my points with the exception of the mag commonality.    And I'm in the same boat as far as waiting for reviews vs. early adoption.   Especially with the nonsense of Oregon's M114 still up in the air, I worry that if I wait I *won't* be able to get it.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2024, 10:36:57 AM »
You just hit  all my points with the exception of the mag commonality.    And I'm in the same boat as far as waiting for reviews vs. early adoption.   Especially with the nonsense of Oregon's M114 still up in the air, I worry that if I wait I *won't* be able to get it.

I've been looking into it more because of this thread, and it's really swaying me. It appears folded measurements would just about perfectly stow it in the get home ruck I keep in the 4Runner. For that use, I actually would want to mount an optic, even one of the cheap Primary Arms ones that I have laying around, and a cheap stowed sling.

I know there are plenty of better (but less foldy) PCCs out there, but I would just consider them as a house defense carbine, and I already have that covered with the more capable Canebrake.

I like the gen3 threaded barrel, which could take my Liberty Cosmic. I understand that the gen2 triggers are semi-atrocious (especially when compared to the S&W), but can be easily upgraded. I haven't seen anything on the gen3 trigger.

The S&W is likely a better gun for not a whole lot more money, but I don't own any other M&P products except for an AR, and wouldn't want a whole nother set of mags, especially for the "truck gun" thing, when I'm already carrying an extra 17 in my Tier1 for the carry pistol.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2024, 10:39:35 AM »

I like the gen3 threaded barrel, which could take my Liberty Cosmic. I understand that the gen2 triggers are semi-atrocious (especially when compared to the S&W), but can be easily upgraded. I haven't seen anything on the gen3 trigger.

Gen2 barrels are threaded and I know someone who shoots his suppressed.
And yes the triggers are nothing to write home about. Not horrible but not great either. Usable, lets put it that way.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 11:23:01 AM by WLJ »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2024, 11:21:26 AM »
One negative thing: Yikes - that is one pain in the ass to disassemble the gun to swap triggers. Maybe that's just part of keeping the gun cheap, but that's kind of a Rube Goldberg mess.

https://youtu.be/js6xBGR1RWQ
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2024, 02:16:18 PM »
I pulled the bolt on mine only once for cleaning.  I didn't have fun with that at all. 

The biggest complaint about the sub2000 for me is it has a pretty heavy bolt and the recoil with 9mm is worse than I expected.  I still have a Gen 1 in 40 S&W.  I expect some recoil with that.  I didn't expect it with 9mm.  But it is simple, small, and lightweight so that is what you get.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2024, 02:32:45 AM »
I pulled the bolt on mine only once for cleaning.  I didn't have fun with that at all. 

The biggest complaint about the sub2000 for me is it has a pretty heavy bolt and the recoil with 9mm is worse than I expected.  I still have a Gen 1 in 40 S&W.  I expect some recoil with that.  I didn't expect it with 9mm.  But it is simple, small, and lightweight so that is what you get.

Get a bolt buffer and add a foam cheek pad. It helps!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2024, 08:59:57 AM »
The recoil isn't light, but it is still shootable.  It stays parked in a small gym bag with a magazine pouch.  I don't shoot it very often.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2024, 09:25:16 PM »
Apparently the gen3 has a better trigger than the gen2. Though I'm not sure if this guy's trigger scale is accurate. Trigger comparison begins at 6:50.

https://youtu.be/wDQCSZjS8HQ

Also the sportsmans warehouse link seems to have gone 404. I see that most of the gen2 models have a $100 rebate now.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2024, 07:20:53 AM »
Just found this video by Othias from C&Rsenal about his Sub2k.

Kinda fun! That rotating forearm? Never found anything about it when I was searching upgrades for mine. That is VERY interesting. $180? Not so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-f83a17LBY
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2024, 08:02:22 AM »
Apparently the gen3 has a better trigger than the gen2. Though I'm not sure if this guy's trigger scale is accurate. Trigger comparison begins at 6:50.

Also the sportsmans warehouse link seems to have gone 404. I see that most of the gen2 models have a $100 rebate now.

The rebate's been around for a while.  They started that fter S&W brought out their folder.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2024, 08:53:04 AM »
SHOT Show is next week.  I am sure a couple dozen videos will appear after that. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2024, 09:03:15 AM »

I once bit many years ago into the PCC concept, when I was carrying a Colt LW Commander.  Got a Marlin Camp 45.  The bolt was crazy heavy on that too.  I didn't like the feel of it at all.

The only PCC that interests me any more is a .357 or .44 lever gun.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2024, 09:07:45 AM »
I had a 9mm Camp Carbine. I wanted to love it, but I HATED the stock on it. It was so thick through the wrist that I couldn't wrap my hand around it.

I ended up selling it to someone here.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2024, 09:17:38 AM »
SHOT Show is next week.  I am sure a couple dozen videos will appear after that.

We often see videos pop up the same or near enough the same day a new gun is released due to the manufacturers sending out samples to many of the YT channels. Haven't seen any pop up on the Gen3 yet. I don't think KT plays the free samples for good reviews game.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2024, 10:31:18 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWHz1_YUQng

This PCC *really* interests me.  I have a straight blowback 9mm PCC, and as you guys pointed out the bolt (and in my case buffer and spring) are heavy and annoying.  I'm leaning towards changing it around and trying to get a delayed PCC of some kind.  Either something like that^^ or one of the MP5 clones hitting the market these days.

(Personally I like the CMMG delay system, because my current 9mm is already SBR'd, so If I swap an upper, I'll use that lower, where a new to me MP5 will require two new stamps.)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2024, 05:10:53 PM »
I have a K-USA KP9 and I like it a lot.  I hear good things about the PSA AK in 9mm also.  Not a lot of recoil, but the gun is a little bigger.  They are more expensive.

I wouldn't mind trying one of the B&T 9mm carbine/pistols, but I usually have something else I want to spend that money on. 

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2024, 05:01:24 PM »
A couple of videos popped up.
Note I have not watched them nor have I ever heard of these guys before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3XedcJZjxs
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2024, 05:09:21 PM »
That first video is the one I posted, and I'm not sure about that guy's trigger scale. My reading tells me that the gen2 trigger is like 8lbs. Is that true? Because he's getting 6lbs on gen2, 4lbs on gen3, which is not bad for either of them, given what they are.

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2024, 05:10:49 PM »
That first video is the one I posted, and I'm not sure about that guy's trigger scale. My reading tells me that the gen2 trigger is like 8lbs. Is that true? Because he's getting 6lbs on gen2, 4lbs on gen3, which is not bad for either of them, given what they are.

Ah, so it is.
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2024, 07:07:26 PM »
A couple of videos popped up.
Note I have not watched them nor have I ever heard of these guys before

Thread drift,

The first video.  What accent is that?

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2024, 09:13:16 AM »
So SHOT is at an end, and I have yet to see a review on this gen3 from any of the "name" guntubers. Have any of you seen anything? I found a couple unboxing videos, but that was it.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2024, 10:15:02 AM »
I thought I saw mention of it, but no new reviews.  Honest Outlaw has a first shots video from November getting ready for a 1000 round review, but that was a Gen 2.