Main Forums > The Roundtable

I used to get a new computer every couple of years...

<< < (2/5) > >>

MechAg94:

--- Quote from: cordex on April 11, 2024, 07:24:20 AM ---Lots of the off-lease business machines use DisplayPort, but adapters are cheap too. Most of the business refurb desktops have at least dual monitor ports.

SSD or NVMe for the primary storage. If you’ve got a lot to store, a spinning disk can always be added.

32gb+ ram

Easy to find something like this in the $275-$600 range depending on the vintage of the processor.

--- End quote ---
I hate using video adapters, but they are necessary sometimes.  Most of the hardware at work uses Display Port, but it seems most of the monitors sold use HDMI as default so I have to be careful when buying monitors.  I also have some KVM extenders that use DVI plugs and they don't work well with adapters.

cordex:

--- Quote from: MechAg94 on April 11, 2024, 09:40:24 AM ---I hate using video adapters, but they are necessary sometimes.  Most of the hardware at work uses Display Port, but it seems most of the monitors sold use HDMI as default so I have to be careful when buying monitors.  I also have some KVM extenders that use DVI plugs and they don't work well with adapters.
--- End quote ---
I agree.  My preference for business use is to only buy monitors with both HDMI and DP options, but they aren't always the cheapest way to go.  For Bogie, I'd recommend picking the computer first, checking the video connectivity, and then just making sure whatever monitors he picks are compatible.

dogmush:

--- Quote from: cordex on April 11, 2024, 07:24:20 AM ---Lots of the off-lease business machines use DisplayPort, but adapters are cheap too. Most of the business refurb desktops have at least dual monitor ports.

SSD or NVMe for the primary storage. If you’ve got a lot to store, a spinning disk can always be added.

32gb+ ram

Easy to find something like this in the $275-$600 range depending on the vintage of the processor.

--- End quote ---

That can not be overstated.

I recently swapped over to a NVMe SSD on a 10 year old Lenovo, and it went from "I might need to replace this POS Laptop" to "This thing is my go-to for travel and light work in the car"  I'm using it to start a Meshtastic Network build this weekend.

Literally, boot times went from 2:13  to 0:36.  Similar impovments in other software run times.  Swapping a SSD in for the Main/OS drive is now something I consider mandatory for anything more than a toy computer.  If you buy an older computer with a platter drive Bogie, I seriously would look at changing the drive out.

K Frame:
I bought an SSD for my laptop at home. Crucial.

I tried dozens of times to get the new SSD to initialize and copy.

Never was able to do it.

Don't know if it was me, my laptop, the SSD, or Crucial's instructions.

I finally gave up.

WLJ:

--- Quote from: K Frame on April 11, 2024, 12:12:49 PM ---I bought an SSD for my laptop at home. Crucial.

I tried dozens of times to get the new SSD to initialize and copy.

Never was able to do it.

Don't know if it was me, my laptop, the SSD, or Crucial's instructions.

I finally gave up.

--- End quote ---

Should just show up as another HDD but on very rare occasions a PC may have trouble. Always the chance you got a bad one. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version