Author Topic: Government Regulations  (Read 7854 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Government Regulations
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2013, 08:11:02 AM »
LOL...

How's that working out for you? Nothing says "able to be held accountable" like faceless bureaucrats with sovereign immunity wielding unlimited fed.gov money and power.

Just slightly better than the private sector running the show.  :facepalm:

I did say supposedly.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2013, 08:35:32 AM »
A US gov agency is supposed to have some sort of oversight, such as congress or supreme court. Would private industry have oversight or would it be controlled by market?

Control by the market is oversight, but again, such a body would be liable to suit and to criminal charges, like any other.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2013, 08:36:05 AM »
Just slightly better than the private sector running the show.  :facepalm:

Based on what? Have we tried the private oversight model with food and drugs?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2013, 08:38:07 AM »

Control by the market is oversight, but again, such a body would be liable to suit and to criminal charges, like any other.

Example where that actually worked?

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Re: Re: Government Regulations
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2013, 10:05:04 AM »
perhaps if you showed an example of your proposal actually at work in real life

damn phone

Has government actually ever worked in real life?  :lol:

I mean - besides wars and genocide  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2013, 10:10:05 AM »

They stopped flipper babies. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:57 AM »
They stopped flipper babies. :)

After approving thalidomide in the first place   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2013, 12:48:14 PM »
Example where that actually worked?

Software & operating systems before Clinton DOJ stepped into the mix.  A whole lot of competition between Mac & Windows improved the breed every iteration(DOS-->Win3.1-->Win95; MacOS variants up through 9.x).  Microsoft had exactly ZERO lobbyists in DC...before the DOJ made its ludicrous claims that Win95 was anti-competitive because you could not un-install IE (due to the heavy tie-in into the OS code). 

Sounds great in theory, but look what some private industry government has done to people. Hell just look at the asshats and their shenanigans in the rise up to the great depression. (No need to modify the second sentence, as long as you understand asshats~gov't.)

Tell me again where private industry has committed genocide, forced migration, & the like?  Tell me again where private industry oversight organization has knowingly and deliberately required that a non-poisonous product be adulterated to the point where users died by the thousands?  And done so without fear of retibution.  (http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2010/02/the_chemists_war.html)

Before hospital staff realized how sick he was—the alcohol-induced hallucination was just a symptom—the man died. So did another holiday partygoer. And another. As dusk fell on Christmas, the hospital staff tallied up more than 60 people made desperately ill by alcohol and eight dead from it. Within the next two days, yet another 23 people died in the city from celebrating the season.

Doctors were accustomed to alcohol poisoning by then, the routine of life in the Prohibition era. The bootlegged whiskies and so-called gins often made people sick. The liquor produced in hidden stills frequently came tainted with metals and other impurities. But this outbreak was bizarrely different. The deaths, as investigators would shortly realize, came courtesy of the U.S. government.

Frustrated that people continued to consume so much alcohol even after it was banned, federal officials had decided to try a different kind of enforcement. They ordered the poisoning of industrial alcohols manufactured in the United States, products regularly stolen by bootleggers and resold as drinkable spirits. The idea was to scare people into giving up illicit drinking. Instead, by the time Prohibition ended in 1933, the federal poisoning program, by some estimates, had killed at least 10,000 people.

=================

Product liability lawsuits have pretty much made the FDA irrelevant.  The FDA is just as likely to play regulatory footsie with big pharma as they are to fine them. Ambulance chasers, love them ir hate them, are the only true big stick keeping pharma semi honest.

I'll admit to my animosity towards and bias against the fda- they cost me a realy good job in the past when the pharma plant I wrked for had to lay off 2 full shifts due to a loss in income. The loss was due directly towards the fda's assdragging on approving Drug Master Files and holding pharma cos hostage due to an upcoming new federal budget cycle. We had reverse engineered a lucrative drug coming off patent, and our ability to sell it was delayed for over a year. A small company having millions if cashflow tied up in inventory because if a bureacratic action was in a tiugh spot.

First and second bold face bits are by no means mutually exclusive.  Large pharma cos with meds coming off patents will bribe pay off compensate companies ginning up to produce generics of meds with patents soon to expire.  Also, they will play footsie with the FDA and other / newer patents to achieve the same results.

===============

Bureaucrtters are not any more resistant to bribes and influence than private sector folk.  But they are more resistant to being held responsible for their actions. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2013, 07:26:50 PM »

Based on what? Have we tried the private oversight model with food and drugs?
You mean like before the fda? Ever read sinclairs " the jungle"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

• friends
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2013, 07:27:44 PM »

So no? For both of you?

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

• friends
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2013, 07:30:11 PM »

Tell me again where private industry has committed genocide, forced migration, & the like?  Tell me again where private industry oversight organization has knowingly and deliberately required that a non-poisonous product be adulterated to the point where users died by the thousands?  And done so without fear of retibution.  (http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2010/02/the_chemists_war.html)

=================

Vietnam rubber plantations
http://prezi.com/xbjpgrpy6wic/michelin-and-their-rubber-plantations/
http://vi.uh.edu/pages/buzzmat/fbb2.htm

zahc

• friend
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine